Thom is Geoblocked!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

I´ve got to say I'm utterly angry at CBS and its affiliated radio stations! I have been a listener to some of CBS's progressive stations, mostly kptk AM 1090 from Seattle, for the last year or so. I really enjoy listening to Thom Hartman's show as well as some others, like Randy Rhodes, Mike Malloy, Norman Goldmann, Ed schultz, Stephanie Miller, etc.

Since I'm a Brazilian citizen and resident in the state of São Paulo, I have relied on the internet online radio broadcasts to listen to these people with much interest in the things they have to say.

But since early this month all of the contents of CBS, AOL, CNN, and others, have been geoblocked to my country. And to any other country other than the USA, for that matter. I would say it is a pitty, if it weren´t simply outrageus!

Can you guys give me one single valid reason for this kind of censorship? I mean, it is not like you are losing any kind of business by having the shows broadcast here on-line. The internet has allways been a place where people from all over the globe could meet, exchange ideas, listen to what people from different cultures have to say.

I could expect this kind of thing from anyone but from self proclaimed progressives! I guess I have to just review my opinion on your networks standing as far as freedom and democracy are concerned, and place CBS affiliated radio stations in the same bag as Fox News, that is, in the bag of the networks I will refuse to listen to from now on! You Americans are really becomming an isolated people, its a shame!

Fabio's picture
Fabio

Comments

Sounds like you need to connect through a proxy.

Gnarlodious's picture
Gnarlodious

I don't understand that, considering there have been Canadian callers to the show before. Or I remember hearing a few anyway.

Can't hurt trying something like WWRL out of NYC. They aren't a giant corporate media entity - such as Clear Channel or CBS. Or perhaps Chicago Progressive Talk (WCPT), according to Wikipedia they're owned by a smaller company too.

Lowerdeck's picture
Lowerdeck

Thanks for the suggestions, Lowerdeck! I´ll try those stations and see if they are available around here.

As for Canadian callers to the show, it doesn´t surprise me for I believe they can tune in to the show through regular American radio stations close to the border, as is the case of Seattle and other northern state cities. AM radio waves can go pretty far, you know! Also, I have to note that this geoblocking has begun very recently, over a week or so.

As for Gnarlodious suggestion of trying to connect via a proxy, well, I have tried that unsuccessfuly. Maybe geoblocking technology is getting more efficient in that way. Besides, if the broadcasting company thinks that we, outside the US, aren't worthy of listening to their programs, then I think they are not worthy of my audience as well. I'm not gonna beg or go through such lenghts to listen to them anymore. I really only wish Thom Hartman and the others were aware of it and made available in other online ways to us in the "rest" of the world

Fabio's picture
Fabio

You can also listen to Thom directly from this website.

There are no blocks in place and the streams can be heard and seen worldwide.

I listen to the streams from my office here in England.

-Nigel-
Webmaster

webmaster's picture
webmaster

I had not yet realized I could hear the streams directly from this website, and I´m glad you brought it to my attention! Thanks.

Also, since I tried Lowerdecks suggestions, I figured that Chicago Progressive Talk Radio is unblocked as well. That way I can listen to the other progressive talk show hosts I also like, whenever Thom is not on the air.

After all has been said and done, I guess the loosers on this whole story are CBS and the other blocked up networks. Too bad for them! They are completely loosing whatever simpathy their would be international public had towards them.

As for Mr. Hartmann, my sincere apllause and congratulations for his show, which I'll keep on listening to, with great pleasure. Congrats to WCPT Online, too!

Fabio's picture
Fabio

Part 1 - Is Economic Disaster About to Hit & Are You Prepared?

Thom plus logo Right now the United States and the world are facing four massive trends that, in combination, we haven't faced since the 1920s. We are seeing the rise of a new and brutal form of governance with extraordinary industrial capacity and power in China, much as Nazi Germany rose in Europe.