Need a couple sources Please

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

10 posts / 0 new

Could anyone help me with the source of the quote (to help win the water cooler wars) of the person that Thom sometimes quotes "if an ordinary man wants to be a candle maker or a baker, fine, but do not let him vote"

And anything from more recent conservatives about how they want a class struggle, (Willliam Bennett?) but especially how they do not want everyone to vote, that is what I am looking for.

Thanks! Joe

Joe321's picture
Joe321

Comments

For voter suppression info go to Greg Palast. He is focussing on BP now, but his best-selling book The Best Democracy Money Can Buy will almost certainly have what you seek.

LeMoyne's picture
LeMoyne

Joe321

Good luck with your 'contest'. I believe that quote is not actually verbatim but close enough to point to the second President John Adams. Check out www.Thomas.gov or a site devoted to Adams to verify.

jonakron

"John Adams, signer of the Declaration of Independence and later president, wrote in 1776 that no good could come from enfranchising more Americans: (allow more people to vote)

Depend upon it, Sir, it is dangerous to open so fruitful a source of controversy and altercation as would be opened by attempting to alter the qualifications of voters; there will be no end to it. New claims will arise; women will demand the vote; lads from 12 to 21 will think their rights not enough attended to; and every man who has not a farthing, will demand an equal voice with any other, in all acts of state. It tends to confound and destroy all distinctions, and prostrate all ranks to one common level."

source Voting in Early America : Colonial WIlliamsburg

http://www.history.org/foundation/journal/spring07/elections.cfm

jonakron

More right-wing moron yak-yak.

kwikfix

The candle maker, or tallow chandler, quote is Sir Edmunde Burke.

Reflections on the French Revolution, Edmund Burke.

"The Chancellor of France at the opening of the states, said, in a tone of oratorical flourish, that all occupations were honourable. If he meant only, that no honest employment was disgraceful, he would not have gone beyond the truth. But in asserting that anything is honourable, we imply some distinction in its favour. The occupation of a hair-dresser, or of a working tallow-chandler, cannot be a matter of honour to any person—to say nothing of a number of other more servile employments. Such descriptions of men ought not to suffer oppression from the state; but the state suffers oppression, if such as they, either individually or collectively are permitted to rule. In this you think you are combating prejudice, but you are at war with nature."

Thom paraphrases it.

The "I don't want everybody to vote" clip is from the late Paul Weyrich,

If you sign up for the free newsletter, you can get the sources of many quotes on the day of the show.

SueN's picture
SueN

To add to SueN's comment - Thom's book, "What would Jefferson do?" has a quote by Edmund Burke on Page 132 - Chapter 6.

"The occupation of a hair-dresser, or of a tallowman (candle-maker), cannot be a matter of honor to any person -- to say nothing of a number of other more servile employments. Such description of men ought not suffer opperssion from the state, but the state suffers oppression if such as they, either individually or collectively, are permitted to rule."

Translation: The Cons don't like the masses messing with their order.......

jonakron

Thanks, Jonakron. :)

SueN's picture
SueN

Interestingly enough I was trying to find where Thom recently used a Thomas Jefferson on John Adams quote in regards to spelling and witches. I was also trying to recall his use of the "candle maker" as well, from Edmund Burke. The closest thing I found:

http://www.opednews.com/hartmann0204_gay_marriage.htm As to your second interest, which I suppose you have answered already:

Paul Weyrich, the "goo goo" syndrome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw

Speaking of killing two birds and coming up with an Eagle(go golf), I mean Dodo!
"Are we ready for some football?" http://political_progress_for_people.blogspot.com/2011/10/take-back-american-dream.html

http://www.mediaite.com/online/hank-williams-jr-%e2%80%99s-idiotic-excuse-for-hitler-obama-comparison-%e2%80%98to-make-a-point%e2%80%99/

Roger2L's picture
Roger2L

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare but only those specifically enumerated."
-- Thomas Jefferson

craig60143

The Problem Isn't a "Trade War" - The Problem Is Trump

Thom plus logo The United States needs to protect its domestic economy. We need to protect jobs in manufacturing. We need to rebuild manufacturing. But this needs to come from a comprehensive, coherent, multifaceted strategy that may well include tariffs.