This Site Looks Cheap

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

I heard Thom asking if anyone needed a Drupal admin or web developer. I assume it must be someone he knows. But this site is hardly a good advertisement. It looks cheap if not downright amateurish. I work with Joomla and don't want to open that debate about the virtues of each, but are there no decent professional templates in Drupal? And with all the decent modern forum software out there, why this????

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Comments

I didn't want to say anything, but now that you mention it, I was thinking the same. For one thing, the sea of unused blue space seems like a waste ...

There is definitely room for improvement, IMHO.

sashasue's picture
sashasue

Another suggestion for improvement would be to actually be able to see our recent message board posts in our accounts ...

sashasue's picture
sashasue

I suspect the 'wasted' blue space is not so large on a VGA monitor, of which there are probably quite a few still in use.
Another thing I've noticed is that this site doesn't look like a NASCAR driver's uniform, i.e. it is not covered in advertisements. As a result, the pages load quickly compared to a lot of others.
I do think sashasue's idea to be able to see our history in our accounts is a good one, maybe a few ads could pay for a programmer to implement that feature.
And I would like to echo a sentiment that I've seen posted elsewhere here... the discussion seems much more civilized. I couldn't say whether it's because the site admin removes vitriolic posts or the posters are just more civilized, but it is welcome.

PriusJockey

Good point, priusjockey. Since I use wide aspect displays, I didn't consider that possibility.

sashasue's picture
sashasue
Quote sashasue:Good point, priusjockey. Since I use wide aspect displays, I didn't consider that possibility.

I'm still using a 3:4 screen with 1024x768 resolution... and this forum doesn't display well. In fact the site doesn't display well even if I resize text... the text is too large in places, overlaps in others, things don't match up, and the site just reminds me of something I would have hand coded back in 1999 or made using webtools at free sites like Tripod or Angelfire. All it lacks are those annoying animated gifs. Even the http://www.opensourcery.com/drupal-site site is pretty primitive. Like I said I worked with Joomla, another open source Content Management system... and it's amazing what some of those professionaly done templates look like. But Joomla is weak in the social networking dept. But not being a MySpace or Facebook user, I have little use for that stuff. Do we need blogs when we also have a forum? Do I want to see pictures of someone's dog? But there's going to be a forum, it should be a decent one and this one is not. It really is too bad that this is now, what, the 3ed different TH forum since I started posting in 06?

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

The Problem Isn't a "Trade War" - The Problem Is Trump

Thom plus logo The United States needs to protect its domestic economy. We need to protect jobs in manufacturing. We need to rebuild manufacturing. But this needs to come from a comprehensive, coherent, multifaceted strategy that may well include tariffs.