ISP Provider to replace my Comcast

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

3 posts / 0 new

Thom said he now uses a certain IPS provider at home. What is that provider? I want to cancel my Comcast but don't want to go to something nearly as bad.

mikeichi's picture
mikeichi

Comments

It depends on what is available in your area. You'll have to look around and you might try broadbandreports.com for help. One problem is that particularly if you have AT&T due to a court decision they get to charge an independent provider for using their lines making those choices more expensive than AT&T services. I had drop Earthlink because due to AT&T couldn't provide me the upstream I needed. I live in the Bay Area and choice isn't even very good even for the folks south of me in Silicon Valley. What Thom has sounds like an early implementation of a WiMax provider which may or may not be available in your area. Some of the old TV frequencies got auctioned and bought by the "usual suspects" probably more to keep competition out of the area than to provide more choice. What a crooked country we live in!

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote captbebops:

It depends on what is available in your area. You'll have to look around and you might try broadbandreports.com for help. One problem is that particularly if you have AT&T due to a court decision they get to charge an independent provider for using their lines making those choices more expensive than AT&T services. I had drop Earthlink because due to AT&T couldn't provide me the upstream I needed. I live in the Bay Area and choice isn't even very good even for the folks south of me in Silicon Valley. What Thom has sounds like an early implementation of a WiMax provider which may or may not be available in your area. Some of the old TV frequencies got auctioned and bought by the "usual suspects" probably more to keep competition out of the area than to provide more choice. What a crooked country we live in!

I did contract work in the silicon alley last year and every internet connction I has was slow.

Legend

Is war on the menu for 2020 elections?

Thom plus logo We complain that democracy is under assault from Donald Trump, but he's just a cog in a much larger worldwide machine that is tearing down democratic self-governance.