The original (model) of government designed by our founders, was established as a Constitutional Republic not a Democracy, or anything else. A Republic is governed by the rule of law--our Constitution. It's function is to protect the rights and freedoms of the citizens of the United States. Such rights and freedoms cannot be secure in a democracy. Democracy means mob rule. 51% of the people rule the other 49%.
Video presentation of the political spectrum