Dr. Ravi Batra article on OWS and the collapse of crony capitalism

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

5 posts / 0 new

For the Ravi Batra fans here:

http://www.truth-out.org/occupy-wall-street-movement-and-coming-demise-crony-capitalism/1318341474

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Comments

We can only hope Batra's track record holds true.

2016 is just around the corner. Lookin' forward to it.

The revolution is under way!

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Interesting read.............I have that website saved looks like I need to check it more often........Thanks

Sprinklerfitter's picture
Sprinklerfitter

Some people are alienated by Batra's use of Indian historical thinking and "cycles" to explain stuff like economics. Free will people do not accept the determination of context or nature when they think of their own creative influence and work. The lack of shame about inherited wealth as authority to rule comes from being free of history in ideological righteousness.

But the same applies to "earned" wealth when the paths are as morally ambiguous or perverse as ours. Dividing merit from luck from stealing legally and illegally as the measure of "earning" is beyond our social math. What rights v. stigma should come with great fortunes? What crimes need to be forgiven?

The interesting co-argument against greed today comes from Graebner/s DEBT. An anthropological history of why debt needs to be forgiven periodically to keep society together, I love this perspective's ability to present the bottom line. Money is only money. Banks are only banks. People live in houses and need food and heat. If the money is not helping the people who create real value and wealth, what is it?

Novels have also made the picture clear. Is Tiny Tim the problem, or is Scrooge a bit narrow in vision? How guilty is Oliver Twist for stealing bread? I don't think we argue the moral point about Dickens the way we do about the Ayn Rand novels. Dickens reveals what was going on while Rand presents a fantasy.

David Korten served the IMF/World Bank machine. Then he asked the forbidden question, "why is none of this working?" His answer, well researched, is that all the top down, central command or franchising models fail. Only those with indigenous ownership and artisanal solutions work. It is not about the morality of the cause, it is about the organizing model. This is great news. The organizing model that works, not just the ones that get our moral approval externally, is where the bottom line really is found. It is community based. It is environmentally smart. It works best when all participate in power. It is conflict averse and cooperation positive.

DRC's picture
DRC

Thank you for the link, Ravi Batra always makes me think and helps me to understand.

markincorsicana

The Thom Hartmann Program - Aug 30th 2018

It seems it's all racism, all the time w/the GOP...Neo-Nazi robocall hits Iowa on Molly Tibbett’s murder: “KILL THEM ALL. ” Richard Wolff drops by about the National Debt. Is it a disaster or an OK thing? Also - Trump & The National Enquirer - Is the Economy Here To Serve Us Or Are We Here to Serve the economy?