JIM CROW 2012

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

3 posts / 0 new

JIM CROW 2012
Is the War on Drugs Really a War on Minorities?
I have never spent a day in jail, even though I have committed felonies. During my college days at the University of California, Santa Barbara, along with the majority of Americans and nearly everyone I knew, I regularly smoked marijuana and took drugs. Yet very few of my fellow students were ever arrested. I thought this was because we were lucky.

But Ohio State University associate professor Michelle Alexander, in her brilliantly argued book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, has a different explanation for my lack of jail time: I am white, and I live in an upper-income neighborhood. My other advantage: I am old. I committed my felonies before the war on drugs.

In the early 1980s, after President Ronald Reagan announced the war on drugs, many police departments naturally questioned why they should take valuable resources away from more serious crimes such as murder, rape, grand theft and violent assault. Reagan had an answer: We will give you extra money and equipment. continued

In Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, she writes, "More African American adults are under correctional control today ... than were enslaved in 1850, a decade before the Civil War began." http://www.amazon.com

Jeff vonKaenel is the president, CEO and majority owner of the News & Review newspapers in Sacramento, Chico and Reno. His column, Greenlight, appears weekly in this space.

Thank you Miss Rosa
The Racist Ganjawar
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and MMJ Prohibition

DdC's picture
DdC

Comments

"Do you realize the responsibility I carry?
I'm the only person standing between Richard Nixon
and the White House." ~ John F. Kennedy

JIM CROW 2012
Ohio State University associate professor Michelle Alexander, in her brilliantly argued book, The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, has a different explanation for my lack of jail time: I am white, and I live in an upper-income neighborhood. My other advantage: I am old. I committed my felonies before the war on drugs.

Nixon lied to schedule Ganja #1

☛ Nixon's 40 Year War On Drugs... Drugs Won!
☛ Nixon Lie Keeps on Killing
☛ Once-Secret Nixon Tapes Show Why the U.S. Outlawed Pot
☛ AMA Calls For Ending Nixon's Lie?
☛ Richard Milhouse Nixon to Raymond P. Shafer"
☛ Nixon Commission Report
☛ 1972 US Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding
☛ US National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse
☛ Richard Nixon On Pot
☛ Pissing on Drug Warrior Graves
☛ While Nixon Campaigned, FBI Watched John Lennon cache

"You know, it's a funny thing, every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob?

R.I.P. John Lennon

☛ R.I.P. John Lennon (The 30th anniversary) By Glenn Gamboa
It was 30 years ago today that John Lennon was shot and killed outside his home at the Dakota on the Upper West Side. Fans will gather all day at nearby Strawberry Fields as they have for years, paying tribute to the legend and his music. continued...
While Nixon Campaigned, FBI Watched John Lennon
☛ Summer of Love: 40 Years Later
☛ Thank God for Hippies
☛ Marijuana Revolution by John Sinclair

It ain't fair, John Sinclair, In the stir for breathing air, Won't you care for John Sinclair?, In the stir for breathing air, Let him be, set him free, Let him be like you and me

They gave him ten for two, What else can the judges do? Gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta set him free

If he'd been a soldier man, Shooting gooks in Vietnam, If he was the CIA, Selling dope and making hay, He'd be free, they'd let him be, Breathing air, like you and me

They gave him ten for two, What else can the judges do? Gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta,, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta,, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta set him free

They gave him ten for two, They got Ali Otis too. Gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta set him free

Was he jailed for what he done? Or representing everyone, Free John now, if we can, From the clutches of the man, Let him be, lift the lid, Bring him to his wife and kids

They gave him ten for two, What else can the bastards do? Gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta set him free
~ John Sinclair by John Lennon

Nixon's Drug War - Re-Inventing Jim Crow, Targeting The Counter Culture

AMA Calls For Ending Nixon's Lie?

Nixon's 40 Year War On Drugs... Drugs Won!

Nixon Lie Keeps on Killing...

Anslinger-Bush-Hearst-Nixon-Hitler-Nalepka Déjà vu

Nixon Lie Keeps on Killing...

DdC's picture
DdC

While Nixon Campaigned, FBI Watched John Lennon

DdC's picture
DdC

New Republican Healthcare Plan Is So Bad That Even Republicans Don't Want It

Republicans inched closer to a deal on repealing Obamacare yesterday, as the House Freedom caucus OK'd a new version of the American Health Care Act which is actually worse than the one that couldn't pass Congress back in March.