WHY I AM ASKING FOR YOUR SUPPORT AT PATREON?

Your support of the program is invaluable. Producing the Thom Hartmann Program is a labor of love for the team, but doesn't come without cost. We supply the program to non-profit, community and volunteer radio and cable stations across the US. However, this isn't cost-free and being a supporter through Patreon means you can help us to meet some of the bills, to allow us to continue free supply to the non-profit sector.

As a way of saying thank you, we would like to give you something back for your support at various levels. Every weekday, the live Thom Hartmann Program three hour program is recorded exclusively for Patreon supporters. Unedited, the full three-hour video will be right here on the Patreon page, within a couple of hours of the end of the live program. And we're also providing extra videos exclusive to sponsors.
Sponsor Special: How to Stop Your Food From Killing You. The American diet is now killing more people than high blood pressure and smoking

Become a Thom Supporter- Click the Patreon button

The Question No One Is Asking...

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

8 posts / 0 new

Why is no one asking why do school shooters target schools? Everyone wants to focus on the evils of guns and gun control. Don't get me wrong - I am VERY anti-gun. But I think the US is missing the point. Since the first school shooting - something is driving emotionally unstable kids to target schools. Why? What is it about the school setting that sends some kids over the edge and makes these kids want to target this thing called "school" ?

bonnie

Comments

Very good question.

Schools used to be places that one learned how to be/behave/maneauver in the public sphere, learn critical thinking skills that made that possible, and also learn the character traits that one needs to be a contributing, useful member of the community. That's about building one's personal sense of individuality and purpose. (My father indicated he had some teachers who taught those things; I experienced several teachers reaching out that way as an adjunct to class lessons. But today's teachers must use the Bush Brothers' testing protocol and have little time for such things.)

I think though that most schools today may not offer children and young adults those things and instead have turned into institutions that send two opposing messages to kids: 1/ Conform (or suffer consequences) and 2/ Compete (or be rejected). REALLY weird.

The school I went to was in a lovely old building even though only in an low-to-average income community. When I see schools now they usually look like abandoned warehouses or, worse, prisons. How can a kid have a good time spending most of their days in such architectural messes? Not 'uplifting' at all! And worse, then go home and see really fancy stuff on TV. More dissonance.

Anyway, a great question. If we treasure our kids, we should do our best to make their learning years the best, most enriching, valuable experience of their lives!

nora's picture
nora

It's not that difficult. Unstable "kids" shot up the place that they perceived all of their problems stemmed from. At that age just about everyone you hate is at your own school. Teachers, other kids, etc. In the case of Sandy Hook the kid's mom worked at the school. There aren't too many cases of complete strangers picking out a school at random and deciding to shoot it up. There's almost always a connection between the shooter and the school. I'll bet there are more bomb threats to schools than any other institution.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

Could it be that schools are places where the shooter will not encounter resistance?

tarheelnm

They're "gun free" zones. Not likely to meet with any resistance. Can do as much damage as possible until the police show up.

Frog's picture
Frog
Quote Bush_Wacker:

It's not that difficult. Unstable "kids" shot up the place that they perceived all of their problems stemmed from. At that age just about everyone you hate is at your own school. Teachers, other kids, etc. In the case of Sandy Hook the kid's mom worked at the school. There aren't too many cases of complete strangers picking out a school at random and deciding to shoot it up. There's almost always a connection between the shooter and the school. I'll bet there are more bomb threats to schools than any other institution.

The initial reports said something about the killer's late mother having worked at the school ... the school later said they had no records of her working there. Also, there were reports stating the shooter had not been a student at Sandy Hook.

So both of those "connections" appear to not be true.

miksilvr

If you think we have too many school kids on Ritalin or Adderall or other drugs for problems like ADHD, wait until you make them attend school under the nose of armed guards or armed teachers or other armed school personnel. The number of kids on various anti-anxiety medications will jump.

I've got an example for you pro-guns-in-schools folks right here showing why this is not such a good idea.

miksilvr

Could it be that schools are places where the shooter will not accomplishment resistance?

johnsmith007's picture
johnsmith007

No More Presidential Immunity!

Thom plus logo When Richard Nixon committed multiple Felonies, including accepting bribes in cash in the White House, Jerry Ford chose to pardon him.

When Ronald Reagan committed treason in 1980 to get elected, Attorney General Bill Barr shut down the investigation in 1992 with five pardons.