A Well Regulated SLAVERY-ENFORCING Militia Being Necessary to the Security" of the slaveholding states…

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

4 posts / 0 new

The Words of the Second Amendment Should Be Clarified: "A well regulated SLAVERY-ENFORCING Militia being necessary to the security of the" slaveholding states…

Thom's discussion yesterday of Prof. Carl Bogus's insights about the reason for the Second Amendment was truly amazing. That is, the "militia" referred to in the Second Amendment is actually referring to slave-owning enforcement groups, who call themselves "the militia." It was the southern slavery-enforcing groups that the Second Amendment was referring to. The militia were required to administer punishment to slaves violating the rules, and the slave-owners were forced to agree to allow the militia personnel to do their terrible work.

Therefore, every time someone says "a well regulated militia" to defend the Second Amendment, we should make sure that we clarify and say, "A well regulated slavery-enforcing militia" to put those words and proper context.

For background on this, please see: http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/hidhist.htm

According to Professor Bogus: "James Madison wrote the Second Amendment to assure the southern states that Congress would not undermine the slave system by disarming the militia, which were then the principal instruments of slave control throughout the South." These militia groups were used by slave owners to suppress blacks and enforce ongoing slavery in the South. These certainly are not the kind of groups that we think of when we think of militia groups united against English soldiers, etc.

Ensuring that these violent and heartless paramilitary militia personnel in the South would always have firearms, and the slaves would not, helped ensure the long continuation of slavery, a truly evil activity.

For Professor Bogus's full paper, please go to: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1465114

Any thoughts?

Yours,

Caleb

Caleb's picture
Caleb

Comments

I heard Thom mention this a few days ago and it didn't make much sense to me. But the article fleshes out the details. Thanks for the link. I thought it was a book.

The article also gives some insights into the insurrectionist theory of the Second... a theory seemingly bought and paid for by the NRA. I believe there's a recent Atlantic or Salon article that updates this angle. After all, in a "democracy" the way special interests prevail is to change the conversation to include the assumptions they want the public to believe in. In this case the money went to those willing to write articles touting this theory, then years latter they can go to the courts and say... hey, look at all those articles! It's like the old spy echo chamber game of planting some article in the press in India then hoping it will get picked up by the press in the west...

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Caleb:Ensuring that these violent and heartless paramilitary militia personnel in the South would always have firearms, and the slaves would not, helped ensure the long continuation of slavery, a truly evil activity.

I think we must be reminded at times that slavery wasn't just explicitly protected by the Constitution but by the very framework of the Constitution.. including states rights, the Senate, the amendment process etc... and if this article is true, by the structure of the militia as well.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

1/19/13 -

Remarks by Danny Glover from the article:

“I don’t know if you know the genesis of the right to bear arms,” Glover said on Thursday. “The Second Amendment comes from the right to protect themselves from slave revolts and from uprisings by Native Americans.”

“A revolt from people who were stolen from their land or revolt from people whose land was stolen from, that’s what the genesis of the Second Amendment is,” he added.

‘Lethal Weapon’ actor tells students Second Amendment was intended to preserve slavery

miksilvr

"The Saddest Thing Is This Won't Be Breaking News"

Thom plus logo As the world burns, and more and more fossil fuels are being used every day planet-wide, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels passed 416 ppm this week at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii. In the 300,000 years since the emergence of modern humans, carbon dioxide levels have never been this high.