R.I.P. Cleotha "Cleedi" Staples, of the Staple Singers

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

1 post / 0 new

This item on the passing of Cleotha "Cleedi" Staples was first added as a reply today to the thread that pays tribute to Levon Helm of The Band, but after adding more to it I decided to create a new one so more people would see it. The first thing that came to my mind when I heard the news was the song "The Weight", which she and Pops and the sisters performed on at The Band's "The Last Waltz" concert (see the link below).

Listening to these tunes today reminded me that you don't have to be religious to be a fan of the type of gospel music brought to us by The Staple Singers and others in the business to appreciate it.

This weekend we lost Cleotha "Cleedi" Staples, the oldest of the sisters from the Staple Singers. She is in a far better place now than where she has been in the last 12 years or so of her life. She will be missed.

The love that she and her sisters and Pops put into "The Weight" at The Last Waltz concert easily makes that my favorite tune from the concert. I never seem to be able to listen to it just once.

A few minutes ago while playing it I learned something new about that performance while reading the comments on the youtube page for the song. Well, check them out for yourself, and see what I learned. I was listening to the tune for the 4th time while writing the comment I added, and now I'm on number 5!

Beautiful!

The Weight - The Last Waltz

The Staple Singers - I'll Take You There

The Staple Singers - Respect Yourself

The Staple Singers - 'Heavy Makes You Happy (Sha-Na-Boom-Boom)'

The Staple Singers - Let's Do It Again

The Staple Singers - If You're Ready (Come Go With Me )

The Staple Singers - Will the Circle Be Unbroken

The Staple Singers - It's Gonna Rain

The Staple Singers - Top of the mountain

The Staple Singers - I Want To Thank You

Cleotha Staples, eldest of Staple Singers siblings, dies at 78

Cleotha Staples of Staple Singers siblings dies

Cleotha Staples obituary

Facebook tributes from V103 Chicago

obituary for Cleotha Staples containing some songs from the Staple Singers first gospel album in 1959:

Gospel Legend Cleotha 'Cleedi' Staples Dies

Thanks for the love, Cleedi ... thanks for the love!

While writing this I have been reunited with some of the other songs from the Staples family, some that I had not heard for a while, and found some I had not heard before.

Beautiful!

miksilvr

The Thom Hartmann Program - Aug 30th 2018

It seems it's all racism, all the time w/the GOP...Neo-Nazi robocall hits Iowa on Molly Tibbett’s murder: “KILL THEM ALL. ” Richard Wolff drops by about the National Debt. Is it a disaster or an OK thing? Also - Trump & The National Enquirer - Is the Economy Here To Serve Us Or Are We Here to Serve the economy?