Please support a policy that promotes full enjoyment rather than full employment

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

2 posts / 0 new

Please support a policy that promotes full enjoyment rather than full employment.
1 question that people who object should answer: If you are in charge of setting the work week, what algorithm do you use to determine it.
If you look at human society as an organism, as the organism becomes more efficient, it has to work less. We cannot afford to ignore this simple fact.
If the society has n individuals and the work needed to run the society is W, the average work needed from each individual is W/n. The more efficient the society gets, W and W/n go down.
A friend of mine has calculated that in the last 80 years, productivity has improved by 2% / year. This means to accomplish the same things we did in 40 Hours/week 80 years ago, we need to work 40 * (0.98)**80 = 7.94 Hrs/week today.
Assume we want 2.5 x the things we had 80 years ago, It means we have to work 19.86 < 20 Hrs/week today. My point is there has to be a reduction in the work week for everybody to work.
Please support a policy that promotes full enjoyment rather than full employment.
Sleep disorders common among police officers maybe it is time to employ police officers < 30 hrs/wk this way municipalities never have to pay overtime (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-12/jaaj-sdc121511.php)

The following shows the impossibility of continued exponential growth in energy use (http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/07/galactic-scale-energy/)
and the impossibility of continued exponential growth in the economy (http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2011/07/can-economic-growth-last/)
You don't need to be Albert Einstein to conclude the impossibility of continued growth in human population
From (http://www.marxists.org/archive/mehring/1893/histmat/02.htm)
In Danzig in 1529 Anton Müller discovered the so-called ribbon-loom (also called a small-wares loom), which produced from 4 to 6 pieces of cloth at the same time, but, since the City Council was afraid that this discovery could make paupers of a large number of the workers, they suppressed it, and had the inventor secretly drowned or strangled. In Leyden the same machine was used in 1629, but the lacemakers' riots forced the authorities to ban it. In Germany, it was banned by Imperial Edicts in 1685 and in 1719. In Hamburg it was burned in public on the instructions of the magistrates.
In the case of Anton Müller, it would have been better to enjoy the benefits of his invention, cut the work hours in half and pay workers 75% of their original salary.

If a public or private entity needs to reduce the number of man-hours, it would be better to reduce the work and pay of 80% of workers before starting to lay off.
It is better to have 5 people work 24 hrs/week rather than have 3 work 40 hrs/week and 2 work 0 hrs/week.
Now, there is talk about reducing the size of public workforce. It would be better to reduce work to say 28 hrs/week and pay workers as if they were working 32 hrs/week

Introduce some negative feedback into the unemployment insurance tax:
Organizations, that pre-agree to reduce the work and pay of 80% of workers to 20-30 hrs/week before starting to lay off, should be rewarded with a lower unemployment insurance tax.
This approach also leads to skills preservation.
Public sector organizations should take the lead implementing this policy.
It would be better to reduce work of police and firefighters personnel to say 28 hrs/week and pay workers as if they were working 32 hrs/week than laying off 10-15% of the workforce.

Introduce some negative feedback into the work week:
Make the work week a decreasing function of the unemployment. The higher the unemployment, the lower the work week.

public work for improving sustainability:
1 public work I would suggest is making sure all our public and state universities have enough housing to house all their students, workers, postdocs and faculty within walking distance in clean high rise apartment buildings. This will permanently reduce fossil fuel consumption.
it also makes sense to make sure all federal and state capitals have enough housing to house all state legislators and their staff within walking distance in clean high rise apartment buildings. This will eliminate the need for expensive housing and daily living expenses and will permanently reduce fossil fuel consumption and the cost of housing for university students, whether the society or the student's household pays for the housing.
Housing should be built using the most efficient methods such as:
In 2012, the Chinese sustainable building company, Broad Group, has yet attempted another impossible feat, building a 30 story tall hotel prototype in 360 hours, after building a 15-story building in a week earlier in 2011 (http://www.my-architecture.com/news/30story-building-built-in-15-days)and
Drexel Engineers Develop Cement With 97% Smaller Carbon Dioxide and Energy Footprint (http://www.drexel.edu/now/news-media/releases/archive/2012/February/Engi...)

Darwinian algorithm to improve the efficiency of bureaucracies and organizations:
If you want stability and progress, you need negative feedback. This algorithm provides negative feedback by allowing memes/memones to compete against each other.
Assume M man hours are allocated to a set of job duties. As an example, assume M = 4x40 man hours = 160 man hours
1-setup a competition among several groups doing similar job duties and announce a monetary reward to the group that can do it in the least amount of time for a specified interval of time, t0, such as 1 year.
2-At the end of the specified interval of time, t0, the group that wins would have done its job duties in M0 < M, gets the monetary reward and teaches the other what methods/tricks it used to improve the efficiency. As an example, assume M0 = 4x35 man hours = 140 man hours
3-for the next specified interval of time, t1, M0 becomes the man hours allocated to the original set of job duties
4-Organization splits profits 50-50 with workers: work week is reduced to 35-36 hours/week (allowing for a fudge factor) ang get paid (36+40)/2 = 38 hours/week
Organization should not lay off people, but rather reduce the work of all workers and split profits 50-50 with workers
Iteration is repeated.
Improvements in efficiency and productivity should be shared by all to create a win win situation. This also means an end to a guaranteed full-time job.

http://www.balancedcities.org/
http://www.nodextrose.org/
Please don't send me attachment files. Please include a meaningful subject in your email.

Visualize that the smoke of cigarettes is unpleasant to other people.
Visualize that peoples' civic duties do NOT include having to breathe the smoke from cigarettes.
Visualize that astrologers, fortune tellers, tarot card readers, psychics and palm readers are Crooks, Fools or Both.
Visualize using the Metric System.
Visualize that Skepticism is a virtue and that faith is NOT.
Visualize taking the stairs instead of the elevators.
Visualize walking instead of driving.

www.balancedcit...

Comments

In general, that doesn't work within a market economic system. The spread between wages and production is the profit extraction. The greater the spread, the greater the profit.

There are exceptions.

I once worked for an employer who cut my work week in half while giving me a raise. I had a 20-hour work-week. I was able to fulfill my job function in that amount of time and found ways to save the employer money while doing it. The savings made it worth his while to reduce my hours and pay more money.

His option was to hire another full time employee to replace me, and lose money from a loss of a money-saving efficiency.The money-saving was something that couldn't be taught...it was a thnking process.

Another employer did a similar thing. I did the job in a shorter time that used to take two employees to accomplish. He saved money by paying me more and reducing my hours.

I don't think that's standard practice. The larger the co., the more you're just another cog in the machinery.

Retired Monk - "Ideology is a disease"

polycarp2

The Thom Hartmann Program - Aug 30th 2018

It seems it's all racism, all the time w/the GOP...Neo-Nazi robocall hits Iowa on Molly Tibbett’s murder: “KILL THEM ALL. ” Richard Wolff drops by about the National Debt. Is it a disaster or an OK thing? Also - Trump & The National Enquirer - Is the Economy Here To Serve Us Or Are We Here to Serve the economy?