USAA outsourcing IT

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

3 posts / 0 new

Thom,I just found out USAA is outsourcing its IT services to an Indian company. I would appreciate it if you could look into this and present it as a topic on your show. Below is a copy of the letter I have sent to my senators, as well as to Rick Perry, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz. Senator Begich,It has come to my attention that the United Service Automobile Association (USAA)--the Texas-based company that provides banking, investing and insurance to our veterans--is outsourcing their tech support services to India-based HCL Technologies. I feel very strongly that this should not be allowed. I request that your office investigate this and consider taking appropriate steps to ensure a US company receives this contract. Thank you for your consideration.

zendogak's picture
zendogak

Comments

It's Happened. As of 1 October 2014, HCL Has taken over most of the IT Support functions at USAA from a company that has been there for years. Probably low-ball bid. See what Happens.

Dane3712's picture
Dane3712

Hi, just wanted to give some insight on this post. I am a US veteran and current employee for HCL in the USAA headquarters. I would have to agree with the Zendogak, the Indian company barely knows our laws. We started off with 15 minute breaks every 2 hours, however the company did not pay for this, after a lot of grief and negative controversy against this company on this subject, they decided to just do away with breaks and give an hour lunch. The health benefits are the same as a normal USAA employee, and are decent coverage. There are still some controversies, for instance we are salary but are still allowed over time. But this overtime is half rate! So for most us employees we make 30k a year, so at half rate we fall down to minimum wage at $7.50 an hour, this includes holidays if you are selected to work. This must have been a good contract for HCL, because recently at their HR annual meeting, they gloated and boasted about making 100 million last year from USAA. I agree that this amount of money should have stayed right here in the United States. It is sad that this company does not care about their employees or the company of USAA; it feels as if it is all about the money. I have heard this but cannot confirm this; HCL gets quarterly bonuses for us making great stats and assisting the company. However if this is true, the money stays with the company and is never seen ( No holiday events or incentives for employees ). Now I am not here to just bash the company, but I believe USAA should have found a better contracting company here in the United States that shared the same common passion for their employees and veterans across America. As a veteran working for this company and representing USAA I am ashamed to think this is how it really is!

Heavenscurse's picture
Heavenscurse

The Thom Hartmann Program Newsletter Tuesday 21 January 2020

• Democracy Itself Is On Trial... Alexander Hamilton's Thoughts on Abuse of Power as Cause For Impeachment...
  • Democracy on Trial... Thom's Take & Your Calls Along w/LIVE coverage of the Senate Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump...