Truck Drivers with ADHD are legally allowed to take prescription Amphetamine. This is safe how?

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

16 posts / 0 new

Hello. I am a truck driver with deep concerns about the legal ability for professional truck drivers to take Amphetamine (Adderall) as a way to treat an ADHD diagnosis. I do not know how many drivers take legal Amphetamine, but I meet them all the time. Some are very open to the fact that they simply fake ADHD to get their hands on the Amphetamine pills. Pilots are not allowed to take Amphetamine, why are professional truck drivers? I have started a petition to remove Amphetamine from the hands of professional truck and bus drivers. Please sign and pass along. I would also greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone might have for this cause to gain some steam. The Department of Transportation refuses to respond to my petition or letters of concern. Thank you.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/drug-free-roads/

sparkyinlaw@yahoo.com's picture
sparkyinlaw@yah...

Comments

This is something that shocks me. Amphetamines are known to cause psychotic episodes, which lead to hallucinations. That is not something I support for someone spending most of their time driving. A great place to draw attention to the subject would be change.org and then write editorials to various media outlets. You can contact State transportation departments, if you haven't already. You can contact local and national news editors and suggest they investigate the issue. Writing your legislators at State and Federal levels might help. When I take on an issue I use an all of the above strategy. If you have a Facebook account, like news pages and message them the topic. When contacting State transportation departments, try giving them a deadline to respond or you will take legal action in order to get the law changed at the State level. Some isp's give free website hosting and design tools, so a properly tagged site with an initial Google ad running temporarily until you start to get traffic works as well. I applaud your interest in saving lives!! I hope it works! !

chrisgt28

If they truly have a mental illness or any condition that requires medication and they are taking it as prescribed, then I have no problem with it, but you're suggesting these people are faking the illness and possibly taking more than prescribed. If so, then it's your responsibility to contact the authorities. You can do so anonymously.

chrisgt28

I would think that being positively diagnosed with ADHD should automatically disqualify anyone from practicing any profession that requires operating dangerous machinery, especially big rigs on public highways. And to compound that danger by allowing those unpredictable drivers to take mood altering stimulants makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave

You need to thoroughly read up on the diagnosis of ADD and ADHD. As stated previously, these conditions affect people differently. Just as one person may be severely retarded, another may only be mildly retarded--same goes for autism, and other disorders. To "group" anyone would be an injustice. To say a person with ADD or ADHD is a psycho is ignorant to say the least. For many people with this disorder, they merely have trouble concentrating and get distracted easily and medication treats these problems. Medications such as Adderall do not cause the same affect on people with ADD or ADHD, as they would with a person who DOES NOT have ADD or ADHD. The way you represent yourself, someone who has had a heart attack in the past shouldn't be allowed to drive a truck, as they may have another heart attack and cause an accident. As long as a person has been cleared by a certified physican and drug tested for non-prescribed medications, they should be allowed to have the same rights as any other person.

GET EDUCATED BEFORE STATING SUCH IGNORANCE.

geteducated33's picture
geteducated33

About one in 20 people suffer from ADHD is varying degrees of severity. Those who suffer feel marginalised and unhappy. Treatment with Ritalin or equivalents usually resolves the problem and folks can lead productive lives. It does not have the same effect on those with ADHD BTW,

I have treated many patients with this disorder and would happily share a road with a Ritalin taking trucker who suffers from ADHD or indeed pilot. American Howard Hughes had ADHD BTW.

Lodyzhenshy

It is allowed because truckers with ADHD when treated become better drivers. Whether you know it or not drivers with a variety of medical conditions regularly share the road with you. As a trucker you should understand that most accidents involving trucks are not the fault of the driver. Medication treats their condition just like many other illnesses. It doesn't always lead to hallucinations or psychotic episodes.

EmilyRay42's picture
EmilyRay42

If you knew ADHD you'd know that the stimulant actually makes them safer. More relaxed. They pay better attention. Please educate yourself. And please let me know how someone fakes having ADHD to get a diagnosis.

seecurt's picture
seecurt

Whoa, Sparkyinlaw, time to lay off your own pedal a bit.

Amen, Chris and Seecurt! I stopped driving a paratransit van a decade ago due to complications resulting from my regimen of medicines to control my ADHD, which one doc said I had "in spades" when he interviewed me a few years before. I was not taking adderall at the time I had a short spate of three accidents on one month, one involving my then beloved old Honda five-speed. My wife was terrified at the prospect of any more accidents, even minor ones resulting in ever increasing premiums and surcharges on top of rising premiums. I've been on disability ever since (because ADHD doesn't just affect driving, but so many other fields as well. I'm in my early sixties now so readers can presume I have the "high-end" variety of ADHD. And there are those days when I swear it's not just in spades, but aces, clubs and hearts.

Adderall, taken at reasonable levels can be a Godsend because it does indeed improve its takers' attention and give them that necessary "umph" of a daily confidence-boosting assistance for getting by every day. In many respects, it's safer than guzzling x amount of cups o' joe with god-only-knows how much caffeine has been packed into the brand of the coffee, not to mention how strong the coffee shop's owner decided to make his coffee. Adderall taken at a doctor's prescribed level is often less powerful than some of those caffeine boosting little black cups sold in convenience stores. I'm not going to dispute the fact that adderall's been abused by truck drivers or other folks looking to give them added energy. But the last thing people having to cope every day with the sometimes bewildering effects of ADD/ADHD, plus its other cousins, OCD, Aspergers' and maybe some I've yet to hear of. (I have enough on my plate making sure I manage what I have, plus the inevitable bouts of bipolar depression that follow times when I've tried to usurp my doctor's role and start cherry picking my meds, thus inviting added forgetfulness, carelessness, anxiety attacks and falling behind on things I know I can handle with just enough medicinal help coursing through my blood supply to my brain. It's not that I enjoy having to take x amt of adderall, plus y amt of depakote and of course, lots of blood pressure, anti-stroke meds to round things out. It gets expensive because the psychotropic meds cost a lot more money, even with Medicare Plan D. Welcome to the world of "early retirement" on a grand a month. But faced with the choice of losing my house becuase my wife and I would've faced much bigger costs due to more job flops and possible expensive accidents . . . I had to eat my pride and "stand down," so to speak. There was no room for soap-box standing in defiance against the pharmaceutical industry. Since ADHD, even at its highest levels, is relatively easy to control thanks to meds like Adderall, and others some of us have had to endure this or that "test" to see if they'd provide the "right mix," it behooved me then and now to take control of my life. If that means taking a relatively common med made more controversial than necessary thanks to its misuse by some truckers and college students, so be it. But I'll be damned if i stand by and read attacks on a perfectly good medicine all because some high and mighty "observer" gets all bent out of joint because truckers are allowed to use Adderall, an amphetimine. As to why truck drivers and not pilots are allowed to use it, well, perhaps there's something about ritalin/adderall that makes it safer for one kind of machine operator than another. I leave this up to the docs to discern. They earned their credentials. Remember what it takes to become a real doctor and how much he or she has to lose for carelessly prescribing or allowing controlled substances to get in the wrong hands and heads. Not everybody who asks for it (because they hear it'll give him or her an advantage over others will get it; nor should they. And even when the prescription is granted, it can't be electronically sent to your local pharmacy. You have to bring it in yourself and depending on some states and pharmacies, you have to have a valid drivers' license or official state ID to demonstrate that you are indeed you. If you get caught, well ...

We all suffer when people game the system, put others at risk on the highways or even in the stock markets due to risky behavior in hedge fund stock-jobbing hot rooms . . . but leave it to the vast majority of people who need what Adderall can give them that other meds couldn't in several years worth of experimentation, to trust their physicians and use their better judgment w/o unnecessary do-gooding kibbutzing.

We have troubles enough without having to worry that some day just enough petitioners with their personal beefs with adderall will somehow manage to convince enough addle-headed politicians to buy into their "alternative" treatments sans adderall, which if used properly, just like cars, trucks, paratransit vans, woodshop tools, etc. pose no problem to their operators or others relying on their safe usage and operation .... and pass bills outlawing adderall or making it too impractically expensive to purchase. It's not inexpensive as it is. We lifetime/full-time ADHDers/ADDers who rely on this medicine will push back because for us, it's not a matter of picking and choosing another pill or "alternative non prescriptive" cure all in some chain's vitamin aisles ... it's vital for our mental and fiscal health; especially for those of us on disability and Medicare D.

Steven.PBarrett

The real problem is all the dumb ass people out with nothing better to do than stir up crap about things they know nothing about. I have two sons both in their thirtys who were both diagnosed with ADHD at a very young age. They have both taken medication for it since grade school. Their grades improved dramatically and their behavior made both of them the kind of person any parent would be proud of. About ten years ago I was diagnosed with ADHD as well. Both of my sons probably got from me especially since they have different mothers. I have had one minor accident in my life where there were no injuries and that was over thirty years ago. I have driven trucks for over twenty years and logged over two million miles. I take my mess as prescribed and the last ten years of driving while taking Adderall are by far many times safer than all the years before. The idiot wanting to start some kind of petition is obviously so stupid he shouldn't be driving period. The are millions of people driving who probably have some degree of ADHD and don't even know it. People with ADHD who take their mess properly are in my opinion are the safest drivers out there. If every truck driver in the US were diagnosed with ADHD and TOOK THEIR MEDS AS PRSCRIBED the number of accidents involving trucks would be reduced dramatically. It's all the stupid people out there complaining about things they know nothing about that makes our highways unsafe. Some of the people complaining about Adderall I'm sure have some degree of ADHD and don't even realize it just like I didn't for nearly fifty years. If ADHD would have been discovered when I was a small child in school life would have been so much better. Adderall isn't even a really true amphenimine but it is classified as one. It's word amphenimine that stirs the minds of stupid people. Adderall I have no doubt has saved many more lives than it has cost. SINCERELY PAUL

Old Okie Truck Driver's picture
Old Okie Truck ...

For some reason the program replaced the word MEDS several times with the word mess. Sorry I didn't catch it.

Old Okie Truck ...

If ADHD is a mental illness how did one of my sons end up getting a a PHD and the other two bachelor degrees with very high grade point averages. ADHD IS NOT AN ILLNESS. it is simply a condition. People making a big stink about things without knowing the facts are the ones with the illness. How many accidents do you know of that we're caused by drivers with ADHD? Probably none. Isn't that something. I would like to start a petition about taking drivers off the road who make a big deal out of things they can't suppot. They probably aren't responsible enough to be driving anything that requires a CDL. There are a lot of great drivers out there but in my opinion they are no safer than the the drivers with ADHD who take their medications properly.

Old Okie Truck ...

If we could take away the medications from everybody out there with ADHD there is absolutely no doubt there would be more accidents and more fatalities on our roads and highways. And if everyone out there who does have some degree of ADHD but have not been diagnosed with it which would probably be millions, were suddenly diagnosed with it and started taking medication for it there is no doubt the accidents and fatalities on our roads and highways would decrease dramatically. I think the DOT is probably smart enough to realize this and is probably why they don't listen to idiots like chrisgt28 and all the other stupid people on this forum that agree with him. If it could be determined I would be willing to bet by percentage there are fewer drivers at fault in accidents who have ADHD AND TAKE THEIR MEDS PROPERLY than the stupid people stirring up crap about something they don't know anything about or understand. Why don't we just outlaw the big rigs completely. Then there would be zero accidents involving truck drivers. Better yet lets outlaw all motorized vehicles entirely. Then there would be no accidents with motorized vehicles at all. This would save millions of lives and we could all ride horses instead. That makes as much sense as what some people on this site are saying.

Old Okie Truck ...
Your link http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/drug-free-roads/ says...

Page Not Found

I did find this...
Petition to keep Adderall (Amphetamine) out of the hands of professional drivers.

Speed has always been the popular choice of truckers. Now it is labeled Ritalin or Adderal, but its just meth, speed, ice, crank, coast to coast turnarounds, black beauties, white crosses, all in various strengths and forms.

HELP REMOVE LEGAL AMPHETAMINES
FROM THE HANDS OF PROFESSIONAL TRUCK AND BUS DRIVERS

http://drugfreeroads.blogspot.com/

Quote DdC:Oh sure, drowsy drivers nodding out is much better eh? Speed done by script only harms the users body and brains over time. It doesn't inebriate like booze or downers. Keeping drivers alert is not bad for other drivers. Get over this demon chasing and deal with the laws of physics, not religious hobgoblins.

Willin'
Little Feat - Willin' sung by Lowell George Live 1977
And I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me weed, whites and wine
And you show me a sign
And I'll be willin' to be movin'

Medications your allowed to take? truckingtruth

Prescription Adderall and CDL. truckersforum

Is Adderall ok for DOT Physical thetruckersreport

Could Ritalin Be the Way to Keep Truckers Safe on the Road? healthline

Cannabis and ADD/ADHD
In the eyes of popular culture, cannabis consumers aren’t exactly models of concentration and cognitive performance. So when a small group of researchers began exploring cannabis as alternative treatment for attention deficit disorders, there was of course some scoffing and skepticism. Nevertheless, with so many medical marijuana patients swearing by its ability to promote focus in place of prescription stimulants, these doctors sought to take a closer look at the scientific basis of this counterintuitive phenomenon.

Quote DdC:Censorship is worse than being illiterate. 157 Medical Schools in the US and not one have an Endocannabinoid Department or anyone authorized to teach it. NIDA is forbidden to do medicinal research. 40 years of trying to find something worthy of a schedule#1 classification and nothing, nada, nix, not a thing. Unfortunately this blatant ignorance is what ignorant politicians use to legislate punishment. The DEA can only control US studies funding. They can only coerce other countries. Some have been doing medicinal research. As well as Pharmaceuticals while the government holds patents on dozens of cannabinoids and cannabidiol.

GWPH is getting FDA testing on several studies and applicators. One uses extracted whole plant cannabis for MS. Spray applicator. I bought stocks a couple years ago and now it pays for my Gorilla Glue and Sour Diesel. But until it is left to science and not police and politicians to determine its status. Driving may be safer using Ganja for ADHD. But it will no doubt remove you from your job under prohibition. Speed will probably make you look older than you are. But a lot of the problems are prohibition. Doctors should provide a slightly better experience. Hope they know more than they do about Ganja.

That petition title sums up the ignorance. It is far more deadly nodding out behind the wheel. They give go go pills to the Military, including jet fighter pilots. Speed will do harm to your organs, teeth and bones and "speed" up your heart rate just sitting still. Let alone smoking boats in the field doing piecemeal work down south. Tried to tell em they're already raising their BP's x 3 + exerting physical work. Heart attack waiting to happen. Ganja can mellow out speed freaks same as PTSD. To avoid those deadly seconds before pulling the trigger or going off on a rant like Hitler did all cranked up. Prescription dosages and quality assurance of Big Pharma makes them safer than the streets, but not entirely safe.

It still does damage whereas Cannabis is found to rejuvenate damaged cells. It has many purposes medicinally and under Obama private research has been finding amazing results. Not the US mandatory research pot grown, rolled and shipped to the remaining IND patients. If you live in a civilized area, try https://weedmaps.com/.  Avoid grinding teeth with chewing gum, wooden spoon. Drink plenty of fluid. Your appetite will be shot, Hemp seed is one of if not the most nutritionally complete food sources and the Hemp oil contains Omega essential fatty acids to supplement. Most urine tests won't detect speed after 36 - 48 hours. Ganja metabolites can stay in fat cells several weeks. Nothing to do with physical abilities or impairment, just a way to punish.

Hippies condemned speed in 1967 and no one listened. Hey SPEED KILLS. Any time over zealous or profiteers get all hysterical I find its time for a closer look at their motives. "Meth" is a dangerous substance to be sure, but according to the US DEA it is not as dangerous as Hemp clothing. A schedule #1 narcotic while "meth" is #2.

I guess the Military doesn't agree with the assessment of the anti groups either. Giving go go pills to pilots. Oh ya several Canadians became collateral damage by them. Army, Navy and Marines all getting white powder crank. Eek, college students since its invention have been cramming for midterms popping white crosses.

Like your fresh veggies? What about the all night truckers staying alert with coast to coast turnarounds, black beauties and dexies. Doctors doing 36 hour shifts, and cops on stake outs. Then the money made in the fashion industry, keeping those models pencil thin on diet pills of "meth".

Mothers Lil pick me ups and ADD and prozak and bennies and amphetamines. The capitalist way of life forces blue collar workers to work 2 shifts, smoking a boat, killing his organs, teeth and brain cells, its the American dream.

Aging? Got Ganja?
Ice: The new menace and horror to society. DEA calls for your help.

Scary Hitler Drugs! Pete Guither dwr
Hitler’s armies carried out their “Blitzkrieg” invasions of Poland and France while high on a version of crystal meth which kept them wide awake, feeling euphoric and invincible, says a new book about the Nazis’ use of drugs during the Second World War.

First of its Kind Study Finds Virtually No Driving Impairment
Under the Influence of Marijuana

“Once in the simulator—a 1996 Malibu sedan mounted in a 24-feet diameter dome—the drivers were assessed on weaving within the lane, how often the car left the lane, and the speed of the weaving. Drivers with only alcohol in their systems showed impairment in all three areas while those strictly under the influence of vaporized cannabis only demonstrated problems weaving within the lane.

Drivers with blood concentrations of 13.1 ug/L THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana, showed increased weaving that was similar to those with a .08 breath alcohol concentration, the legal limit in most states. The legal limit for THC in Washington and Colorado is 5 ug/L, the same amount other states have considered.”

“The study also found that analyzing a driver’s oral fluids can detect recent use of marijuana but is not a reliable measure of impairment.

“Everyone wants a Breathalyzer which works for alcohol because alcohol is metabolized in the lungs,” says Andrew Spurgin, a postdoctoral research fellow with the UI College of Pharmacy. “But for cannabis this isn’t as simple due to THC’s metabolic and chemical properties.”

Researchers at the University of Iowa’s National Advanced Driving Simulator carried out the study, sponsored by National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, National Institute of Drug Abuse, and the Office of National Drug Control Policy. “snip”

Dr. Gabor Maté on ADHD
Bullying and the Destruction of American Childhood
A spike in diagnoses of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and other mental disorders has fueled an unprecedented reliance on pharmaceutical medications to treat children, with long-term effects that remain unknown. We speak with Canadian physician and best-selling author, Dr. Gabor Maté. He argues that these responses are treating surface symptoms as causes while ignoring deeper roots. Dr. Maté says children are in fact reacting to the broader collapse of the nurturing conditions needed for their healthy development.

ADHD and New York Times articles from 2012-2013 thomhartmann

"In the United States right now there are three million children receiving stimulant drugs for ADHD." (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)
~ Dr. Gabor Maté

Death from Ritalin
The Truth Behind ADHD

Info for Parents who are pressured to diagnose and drug their children for ADD or ADHD. Story behind our Sons death caused from ADHD drug, Ritalin.

Do ADHD Drugs Take a Toll on the Brain?
Research hints that hidden risks might accompany long-term use of the medicines that treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder
By Edmund S. Higgins

The Truth About Marijuana and Driving hightimes

Cannabis use and Driving

DdC's picture
DdC

You're 100% correct.
ADHD is a condition that if untreated, your issue wouldn't be about the use of Amphetamines, but rather, why don't they take they're Medicine!

I promise you that if these SoCalled ADHD Fakers came across a competent Dr.! TRUST ME!, THERE'S NO WAY IN THE WORLD THAT THEY COULD TRICK A DOCTOR INTO BELIEVING THAT THEY HAVE ADHD! ,NEVER!

I understand the concern here, and I applaud you in your efforts to control the use of drugs like Amphetamines, but your concern are misdirected!

Try to focus on the Illegal! use of Drugs and/or Amphetamines!
Had it been me! I would have had the authorities involved with the "ADHD FAKERS" before the conversation is even over!, furthermore, if you want to know what is even more frightening about Amphetamines? Look no further than to our schools! Where our children go!,especially College!

Adderall has become the most widely abused drug interactions our College Campuses!

Another good one?, I know of several kids,children! that are prescribed Amphetamines for ADHD and more than likely, they're being misdiagnosed by GP'so, Pediatricians, and Psychiatrists all the same.

I have had ADHD for 46 years now,and a severe case of it!, and I'm here to tell you "IT'S DEBILITATING!" and to deny someone the right to have access to Medication so they can FUNCTION AND PROVIDE FOR THEY'RE FAMILY IN A LAW ABIDING, DESCENT, AND RESPECTFUL MANNER!, is to deny someone Medical Treatment, The Right to Work, and consequently, "THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS" all which happens to be a violation of our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS!

I have ALWAYS WANTED TO BE AN OTR TRUCK DRIVER, since I was a Child, or a Police officer, all of which carry with them a HUGE RESPONSIBILITY!, and the Law actually allows me to apply and obtain employment in these fields mind you!, however, I never pursued these careers because of the What if? or JUST IN CASE FACTORS!

I chose to do so because I consider myself a descent person and when it comes to having the safety of the Citizens of this Great Country! in our hands,like driving 80,000 or so pounds of steel down the highway where our children travel as well, or public safety like in Law enforcement, nothing, and I mean nothing should ever be left to chance!, NEVER!

We share the same values and opinions, I believe it's that we're seeing this issue from very different angles, why? more than likely, because we get our information from different places.

I employ THE BEST DOCTORS IN THE COUNTRY IN THIS FIELD, AND PROBABLY IN THE WORLD!

MY DOCTOR HAS MORE DEGREES ON THE WALL THAN A THERMOMETER!: Psychiatrist, Pharmacist, and another Degree in Neuro Pharmacology! and guess what? His ADHD is worse than mine!

I look forward to your comments and am looking forward to a well spirited debate and/or discussion on this issue.

vf750cc83

How does drug testing affect truck driving adderal users?

Legend