Tea Party Threats Are Not Blackmail. They Are Extortionists! Add Hostage Takers!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

169 posts / 0 new

The President and others are using the term blackmail to describe what the Tea Crackpots are trying to do in shutting down the government or holding hostage the debt limit. It's not. It's extortion.

From: http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/white_collar_crimes/exto...

Extortion is a form of theft that occurs when an offender obtains money, property, or services from another person through coercion. To constitute coercion, the necessary act can be the threat of violence, destruction of property, or improper government action. Inaction of the testimony or the withholding of testimony in a legal action are also acts that constitute coercion.

Blackmail, in contrast to extortion, is when the offender threatens to reveal information about a victim or his family members that is potentially embarrassing, socially damaging, or incriminating unless a demand for money, property, or services is met.

Obama should know better. The Dems did nothing wrong or secretive in passing ObamaCare... except, of course not going to Single Payer.

OCT 3ed EDIT... it's now clear the GOP's public relations strategy is to divide and conquer. They hope to exploit a few highly public... and emotional issues and use them as hostages. If the Democratic Senate doesn't agree to just fund national parks, or the NIH... or the vets... then THEY are to blame!!! Let's sweep under the rug the KEY FACT in this charade that it's the GOP House leader BOEHNER who refuses to send to the Senate a clean Continuing Resolution... a funding bill with no strings attached. It would get the votes of the Dems and sane GOPers. Why doesn't he? He knows being the grownup in today's GOP full of crazies as it is... he'll lose his speakership.

Sadly, this PR ploy has worked with diehard True Believers on the right who refuse to believe the GOP can do any wrong... no matter how much they act as infantile brats.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Comments

“Speaker [John] Boehner and his band of tea party radicals have done the unthinkable — they’ve shut down the federal government,” Reid added. “Now, for us that’s hard to comprehend as being good.

I guess Harry has forgotten this:
8 times Dems controlled both houses during a shutdown. 5 times they also had the Presidency (Carter). Once with Reagan, Bush and Ford. The Republicans had both houses during a shutdown twice (Clinton).

Who was "extorting" back then?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

“Speaker [John] Boehner and his band of tea party radicals have done the unthinkable — they’ve shut down the federal government,” Reid added. “Now, for us that’s hard to comprehend as being good.

I guess Harry has forgotten this:
8 times Dems controlled both houses during a shutdown. 5 times they also had the Presidency (Carter). Once with Reagan, Bush and Ford. The Republicans had both houses during a shutdown twice (Clinton).

Who was "extorting" back then?

Let's see... in the first such shutdown, Nov 81, it was Reagan who vetoed a Democratic bill to keep the government running. Reagan caused the shutdown.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2013/09/30/history-government-shu...

So your "who controls the House is to blame" game doesn't always hold up.

Concession noted even if not offered.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

No concession here. The House offered several bills to keep government running last night only to be rebuffed by Reid. Quid pro Quo

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

No concession here. The House offered several bills to keep government running last night only to be rebuffed by Reid. Quid pro Quo

TRANSLATION: the House tried several more times to extort concessions to gut a law they could not defeat during the normal process of lawmaking...

Why didn't you just say so?

And of course I didn't expect you to concede the point even if it undermined your claims.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

That's because there is no point to concede. The Reagan shutdown is factually similar to Reid and Obama's insistence that (1) Reid would table anything but a "clean" CR and/or Obama would exercise a veto. Congress sent Reagan a bill he wouldn't sign, result veto. It's the exact same logic that Dems were using last night crying about the House's efforts as an exercise in futility.

By the way it was far from being the first such shutdown.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

....they also had the Presidency (Carter).

Not sure what your point is here. It's during the Carter admin that the AJ issued a legal opinion that the government could not run if people were not getting paid. But my sources show that the first real govt shutdown was Reagan's doing... and not during the Carter admin. If you have something different... please post.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote mjolnir:

That's because there is no point to concede. The Reagan shutdown is factually similar to Reid and Obama's insistence that (1) Reid would table anything but a "clean" CR and/or Obama would exercise a veto.

TRANSLATION: Reid refused to consider any more extortion demands from the Tea Crackpots in the House. Boenher is the one playing the games here. He won't let come up for a vote a clean CR... because he knows it would get Dem votes, piss off the GOP nuts in the House, and he'd lose his speakership to Canter. But, ya... that's the Senate's fault... right? The GOP House is just an innocent bystander.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:The GOP House is just an innocent bystander.
I never said that. The truth is that no one would be missing work today if Reid had agreed to a resolution committee. If the President can change a law by fiat I got no problem with a 435 member body of representatives also elected by the people to tell him to stick it. The law either applies to everyone or to no one.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:
I never said that. The truth is that no one would be missing work today if Reid had agreed to a resolution committee.
TRANSLATION: The GOP crackpots are innocent in shutting down the government. Why didn't you just say so?

In reality the CRs that they've sent to the Senate contain poison pills to gut Obamacare... something they were unable to do during the legislative process, in the courts, or in election 2012.

Time to deal with reality Sparky. Up to it?

Didn't think so.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:Time to deal with reality Sparky. Up to it?

Didn't think so.

I've got to admit you surprised me, I thought it would take far fewer than 10 posts for you to revert to your usual intellectually vacuous attacks. Your pathetic, lol.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

I've read from some of our resident rightwing intelliktuwals that the shut down is a glaring example of Pres. Obama's failure of leadership....

Uh, question: All these shutdowns that occurred under Reagan, do they also shine a light on his failed leadership? Or, does his conservatism and Whiteness render the comparison moot?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

These back and forths about shutdowns do not help us know what was being protested by any of the other shutdowns. For example, Iran/Contra illegal funding might be a case where saying no to more money would be a direct protest of something Congress prohibited in the first place. Trying to repeal legislation by the back door of doing damage or else is another matter.

The protest of Obamacare is pure politics and nothing more substantive. The Heritage Foundation's version of "socialized medicine." How absurd!

There is also the fact that "Obamacare" was not the President's bill presented for Congressional approval. It was an initiative to have Congress do the bill this time so he would not get tagged with what was used to criticize Hillary's attempt where all the moaning and groaning was about it being "her' plan instead of a Congressional product. I doubt Single Payer would have passed even if pushed hard, given the entitlements at stake for the Health Insurance Privateers. Would have been worth the fight, and if it lost we still could have had this thing.

Republicans are going to lose this again, and badly. Go ahead, beat up on Obamacare and watch Single Payer get stronger and stronger. The alternative to Obamacare is not back where we were before it. And that is why this threat is so empty of integrity or common sense. People who come to believe their own lies tend to think they know more than others. Whig Re-enactors are all thumbs up as they go over the falls of history.

drc2

I love the Shutdown... They should keep it shutdown indefinitely. They can do less damage to the country if they have no staff to help them.

Capital1's picture
Capital1

Mj and PP literally crack me up. Please, don't stop.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker
Quote mjolnir:
Quote Pierpont:Time to deal with reality Sparky. Up to it?

Didn't think so.

I've got to admit you surprised me, I thought it would take far fewer than 10 posts for you to revert to your usual intellectually vacuous attacks. Your pathetic, lol.

I only resort to it AFTER someone is determined to remain oblivious to substantive arguments. You qualified. Sue me.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:
Quote mjolnir:
I never said that. The truth is that no one would be missing work today if Reid had agreed to a resolution committee.
TRANSLATION: The GOP crackpots are innocent in shutting down the government. Why didn't you just say so?

In reality the CRs that they've sent to the Senate contain poison pills to gut Obamacare... something they were unable to do during the legislative process, in the courts, or in election 2012.

Time to deal with reality Sparky. Up to it?

Didn't think so.

This is the same sort of half truth "logic" right wingers love to use to avoid responsibility for their actions.

It's akin to the GOP believing it should be free to pass all the irresponsible tax cuts they want... and then when they create the deficits the GOP wants to starve the beast... they refuse to take any responsibility but blame Dems for spending too much. THIS is why the idea of a balanced budget amendment is such a trap. The GOP could pass irresponsible tax cuts on a majority vote then require a super-majority to restore taxes.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

I would call it kidnapping. The minority Tea Party Radicals have kidnapped the budget funding process and demanded we give up the Affordable Care Act as ransom. Either way, it's criminal what they are trying to do. They cannot convince the government to give them their way through normal channels of legislative process, so they are acting like gangsters.

The previous shutdowns were due to a lack of agreement on details of the budget . This shutdown is due to the republicans attaching a demand to kill an unrelated program as a ransom to allow the budget bill to proceed.

Elizabeth Warren said it better: "For this right-wing minority, hostage-taking is all they have left – a last gasp of those who cannot cope with the realities of our democracy."

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave
Quote Sacramento Dave:

I would call it kidnapping. The minority Tea Party Radicals have kidnapped the budget funding process and demanded we give up the Affordable Care Act as ransom. Either way, it's criminal what they are trying to do. They cannot convince the government to give them their way through normal channels of legislative process, so they are acting like gangsters.

The previous shutdowns were due to a lack of agreement on details of the budget . This shutdown is due to the republicans attaching a demand to kill an unrelated program as a ransom to allow the budget bill to proceed.

Elizabeth Warren said it better: "For this right-wing minority, hostage-taking is all they have left – a last gasp of those who cannot cope with the realities of our democracy."

The Orwellian Right has sooooo poisoned the debate with lies that it created a self-sustaining constituency of braindead dittoheads demanding something be done. If Obamacare is that evil... then it MUST be opposed. No doubt some of these people went on to positions of power.

Now they are captives of their own lies and feel compelled to fight to the last drop of blood. Of course, perhaps, the leadership knows better and merely must fight this to the death because they see it as a strategic loss... something they could NEVER admit to. That discussion here: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/10/real-reason-gop-opposes-obamac...

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote mjolnir:
I never said that. The truth is that no one would be missing work today if Reid had agreed to a resolution committee. If the President can change a law by fiat I got no problem with a 435 member body of representatives also elected by the people to tell him to stick it. The law either applies to everyone or to no one.

The BIGGER and more important truth here is that BOEHNER refuses to let ANY consideration of a clean continuing resolution even be voted on in the House.

Funny how you swept his role under the rug.

By sending up bills to fund selected parts of the government have turned the GOP not just into extortionists but hostage takers. Ya, we'll let one hostage go if you give us all the money we demand!

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Boehner, all but a couple of R's and 20 something Dems did exactly what the Constitution empowers them to do, "controll the purse strings." Controll of the money makes the House part of an effective check to a power hungry Executive.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

Boehner, all but a couple of R's and 20 something Dems did exactly what the Constitution empowers them to do, "controll the purse strings." Controll of the money makes the House part of an effective check to a power hungry Executive.

Yawn... more predictable partisan excuses... now sweeping under the rug Boehner's role in blocking a clean CR? Yup, the crazy trainers in the GOP are eternally innocent in the eyes of rabid right wingers.

The House doesn't have this power in a vacuum. They can't spend a dime without it being approved by the Senate... or being signed by the president unless the entire Congress overrides a veto.

So you were saying... that the House has a constitutional power they are then permitted to act like spoiled brats and not be criticized?

Ya, you are!

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:
Quote mjolnir:

The House doesn't have this power in a vacuum.
What part of
part of an effective check
did you not understand?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote Phaedrus76:

I've read from some of our resident rightwing intelliktuwals that the shut down is a glaring example of Pres. Obama's failure of leadership....

Uh, question: All these shutdowns that occurred under Reagan, do they also shine a light on his failed leadership? Or, does his conservatism and Whiteness render the comparison moot?

No takers on this meme?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76
Quote mjolnir:
Quote Pierpont:
Quote mjolnir:

The House doesn't have this power in a vacuum.
What part of
part of an effective check
did you not understand?

And what part of "effective check" on the House by the Senate and President don't YOU understand? If Boehner, for cynical political reasons, REFUSES to let a consensus bill even be voted on... but only sends through to the Senate poison pills... then that's not a "check". That's extortion.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Phaedrus76:
Quote Phaedrus76:

No takers on this meme?

The first government shutdown under Reagan was Reagan's doing.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

H J RES 72 RECORDED VOTE 3-Oct-2013 4:48 PM

QUESTION: On Passage

BILL TITLE: Making continuing appropriations for veterans benefits for fiscal year 2014, and for other purposes

Ayes Noes PRES NV

Republican 224 7

Democratic 35 157 8

Independent

TOTALS 259 157 15

H R 3230 YEA-AND-NAY 3-Oct-2013 1:57 PM

BILL TITLE: Pay Our Guard and Reserve Act

Yeas Nays PRES NV

Republican 229 2

Democratic 36 160 4

Independent

TOTALS 265 160 6

H J RES 73 YEA-AND-NAY 2-Oct-2013 6:48 PM

BILL TITLE: Making continuing appropriations for the National Institutes of Health for fiscal year 2014, and for other purposes

Yeas Nays PRES NV

Republican 229 1 1

Democratic 25 170 5

Independent

TOTALS 254 171 6

H J RES 70 RECORDED VOTE 2-Oct-2013 6:34 PM

BILL TITLE: Making continuing appropriations for National Park Service operations, the Smithsonian Institution, the National Gallery of Art, and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum for fiscal year 2014, and for other purposes

Ayes Noes PRES NV

Republican 229 1 1

Democratic 23 172 5

Independent

TOTALS 252 173 6

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir: blah blah...
Gee... so the GOP manufactures some phoney issues behind which they hide their extortion... and you're all convinced they are noble politicians, not extortionists or hostage takers.

Of COURSE you are.

Now... do you have anything intelligent to say?

Didn't think so.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

Pier,

calling this extortion or hostage taking implies that the Tea Party is trying to use threats of a govt. shutdown and/or default to gain some policy concession.

That is not what is going on here. The extortion is nothing but a pretext. Their true goal is just to render Obama's second term inert, either through an indefinite shutdown or through forcing it to deal with an economy in freefall after we default, which they fully intend to make us do.

loganonenation's picture
loganonenation
Quote Pierpont:

The President and others are using the term blackmail to describe what the Tea Crackpots are trying to do in shutting down the government or holding hostage the debt limit. It's not. It's extortion.

From: http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/white_collar_crimes/exto...

Extortion is a form of theft that occurs when an offender obtains money, property, or services from another person through coercion. To constitute coercion, the necessary act can be the threat of violence, destruction of property, or improper government action. Inaction of the testimony or the withholding of testimony in a legal action are also acts that constitute coercion.

Blackmail, in contrast to extortion, is when the offender threatens to reveal information about a victim or his family members that is potentially embarrassing, socially damaging, or incriminating unless a demand for money, property, or services is met.

Obama should know better. The Dems did nothing wrong or secretive in passing ObamaCare... except, of course not going to Single Payer.

OCT 3ed EDIT... it's now clear the GOP's public relations strategy is to divide and conquer. They hope to exploit a few highly public... and emotional issues and use them as hostages. If the Democratic Senate doesn't agree to just fund national parks, or the NIH... or the vets... then THEY are to blame!!! Let's sweep under the rug the KEY FACT in this charade that it's the GOP House leader BOEHNER who refuses to send to the Senate a clean Continuing Resolution... a funding bill with no strings attached. It would get the votes of the Dems and sane GOPers. Why doesn't he? He knows being the grownup in today's GOP full of crazies as it is... he'll lose his speakership.

Sadly, this PR ploy has worked with diehard True Believers on the right who refuse to believe the GOP can do any wrong... no matter how much they act as infantile brats.

Sounds like taxes used to pay for welfare of all types.

firearm owner

The fact remains that the House passed three bipartisan resolutions yesterday. All Reid has to do is bring them to a vote instead of putting them on the table. By the way, your repertoire of nonsensical one liners is getting stale.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

The fact remains that the House passed three bipartisan resolutions yesterday. All Reid has to do is bring them to a vote instead of putting them on the table. By the way, your repertoire of nonsensical one liners is getting stale.

You failed to mention the bipartisan resolutions that Bohner won't allow a vote on. That's why it's called a stalemate. Neither so called leader wants to budge where as the house body is willing.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

H J Res ? Which ones are you talking about.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

It's pretty hard to call something "bipartisan" when the bills are designed ONLY to embarrass... and it only gets a handful of Dem votes... But feel free to continue whitewashing the infantile behavior of your heroes.

So do you EVER intend to deal with the REAL issue here: that BOEHNER is the one blocking any consideration of a clean CR so it can't come up for a vote?

Didn't think so.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

The fact that Boehner holds all the cards cannot be overstated. Why he chooses to remain on his current path is immaterial. There are all kinds of reasons for him to sit tight and some might not be as sinister as we assume. This Tea Party pressure cooker is really allowing some powerfully pungent political stew to perhaps boil over, separate out, congeal or whatever cooking metaphor suits you to at the very least shine a bright light on what the Tea Party stands for (or against). I think something very good can come from this fiasco as long as Obama doesn't feel the need to create a Kumbaya Bipartisanship moment with his sworn enemies by giving them something they have proven they don't deserve.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

Eleven to near 15% of minority party participation is bipartisan whether you will admit it or not. It's so typical of people on this board that it's perfectly kosher for the Dems to cram a major piece of legislation down the throats of the Repubs and up the a**es of the American people with out any bipartisan support, implement such bill against the will of a majority of the people and allow Emporer Obama to pick and chose who takes the hit. Yet when The House exercises it's Constitutional power they're obstructionists. What a bunch of hypocrites.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

Eleven to near 15% of minority party participation is bipartisan whether you will admit it or not. It's so typical of people on this board that it's perfectly kosher for the Dems to cram a major piece of legislation down the throats of the Repubs and up the a**es of the American people with out any bipartisan support, implement such bill against the will of a majority of the people and allow Emporer Obama to pick and chose who takes the hit. Yet when The House exercises it's Constitutional power they're obstructionists. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Cram? The signature piece from the 2008 election, that had 18 months of debate and includes over 100 Republican amendments was hardly crammed. Besides the American people elected not only Obama, but large majorities to the House and Senate.

The proof of obstruction is the unprecedented levels of filibuster, the need for a Senate Gang of 8, the fact that the House hasn't passed a budget in 3 years now, and turning the debt ceiling vote into Russian roulette. Even the immigration reform bill, which is a very conservative bill, cannot get a vote in the House. This congress is on track to beat the record for least bills passed and most useless since the 2011-2012 congress.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Part of the reason we are in the mess we now have is that the Senate has not passed a true budget in a muti-year period. Without the ability to appropriate money in a true budget bill this present "funding gap" became much more serious.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

Eleven to near 15% of minority party participation is bipartisan whether you will admit it or not.

The bills were designed to embarrass Dems into voting against vets, national parks, etc... all for ads to be used against them in the next campaign. Some thought they could not deal with that in the next election.. or they are right wingers. So what about those 18 or so GOPers that say they'd vote for an clean CR if Boehner only let it come up for a vote? Hannity went on the air to chastise them and called for viewers to contact them.

Quote mjolnir:It's so typical of people on this board that it's perfectly kosher for the Dems to cram a major piece of legislation down the throats of the Repubs and up the a**es of the American people with out any bipartisan support, implement such bill against the will of a majority of the people and allow Emperor Obama to pick and chose who takes the hit. Yet when The House exercises it's Constitutional power they're obstructionists. What a bunch of hypocrites.

Blah blah... where is this "will of the American People"? The GOPers lacked the votes to defeat a bill in both houses, in the courts, and in the 2012 election. Now, believing their own lies they are in the majority, feel justified in throwing a temper tantrum if they can't gut what the American People APPROVED in 2012? I'm no fan of the Dems but please show me where Dems ever acted like infantile brats.

Bottom line is it's BOEHNER that is preventing a clean CR from coming up for a vote. The GOP is trying to paper over its infantile behavior with disingenuous show votes.

I tire of this discussion.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote Pierpont:
Quote mjolnir:

Eleven to near 15% of minority party participation is bipartisan whether you will admit it or not.

The bills were designed to embarrass Dems into voting against vets, national parks, etc... all for ads to be used against them in the next campaign. Some thought they could not deal with that in the next election.. or they are right wingers. So what about those 18 or so GOPers that say they'd vote for an clean CR if Boehner only let it come up for a vote? Hannity went on the air to chastise them and called for viewers to contact them.

Quote mjolnir:It's so typical of people on this board that it's perfectly kosher for the Dems to cram a major piece of legislation down the throats of the Repubs and up the a**es of the American people with out any bipartisan support, implement such bill against the will of a majority of the people and allow Emperor Obama to pick and chose who takes the hit. Yet when The House exercises it's Constitutional power they're obstructionists. What a bunch of hypocrites.

You should. Even your bucket of bullshit isn't bottomless. Seems like it though.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote Pierpont:
Quote mjolnir:

You should. Even your bucket of bullshit isn't bottomless. Seems like it though.

The one with the bottomless bucket of bullshit is the one trying to reframe GOP extortion into some normal way of doing business.

Are you saying that Boehner is NOT the one preventing a clean CR from coming up for a vote in the House?

Funny... he SAID he would not consider it.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/usworld/article/329410/6/Boehner-Hous...

So please explain again how the House GOPers are innocent in this mess when there are enough "bipartisan" votes in the House to pass it?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/10/02/17-house-republicans-re...

Yup, it's all the Senate's fault for not giving in to extortion. Right Bucko?

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont
Quote mjolnir:

Part of the reason we are in the mess we now have is that the Senate has not passed a true budget in a muti-year period. Without the ability to appropriate money in a true budget bill this present "funding gap" became much more serious.

So, the Senate had passed a budget this year. They have asked the House to go a budget conference 18 times.

Boehner allowed the crazies and Cruz to force him to go off the cliff. Now you are trying to blame Democrats for Cruz's craziness, and the tea baggers craziness.

Polls are showing that everyone knows the Republicans are at fault. Check the international headlines. Russia, UK, Isreal, Germany, Italy, France, even Iran know that the Republicans have shutdown the govt. Trying to spin it any other way is desperation on your part.

Don't believe me? Then in 2014, if a teabagger fuckstick congresscritter is on the campaign trail, do you think they'll brag about shutting down the govt?

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Harry Reid: Boehner agreed to clean CR last month—then reneged because he's 'afraid'

byIan Reifowitz

This seems like a pretty big deal to me.

According to Harry Reid, in early September he and John Boehner not only negotiated over a clean continuing resolution that would have avoided a government shutdown, they came to an agreement on one.

The agreement would have funded the government on a short-term basis at the level of spending set by the sequester, namely $988 billion for the full year. They had a deal, then suddenly Boehner reneged.

Furthermore, Reid said that Boehner in no way desired to connect defunding Obamacare to funding the government. That was not his plan at all. However, that's exactly what he ended up doing. Here's more from Senator Reid:

“I know that that’s not the path he preferred,” Reid said. “I know that because we met the first week we came back in September and he told me that what he wanted was a clean CR and the $988 [billion] number.

“We didn’t like the 988 number. We didn’t like it but we negotiated. That was our compromise,” Reid added. “The exact bill that he now refuses to let the House vote on. That was our negotiation.”

“He twisted [my arm] a little bit to get that number,” Reid said.

“Now he refused to let his own party vote because he’s afraid to stand up to something he originally agreed to,” he added.

CNN has additional quotes from Reid about Boehner on this topic:
“His job is not as important as our country,” Reid said.

“I say to my friend John Boehner–and I do like him, I’ve said that lots of times–John, if you want to really have history books account who you really are, do this,” he said, urging Boehner to take up the clean bill.

“He has to have some courage,” he added.

Clearly, Reid is trying to embarrass Boehner with this information. I hope that works. But this information shows exactly who is the tail wagging the dog right now among Congressional Republicans.

John Boehner can't even keep his own word when he makes a deal that maintains sequester-level spending. Think about the impact of that on future negotiations, and on Congress's ability to get anything done at all.

There is only one answer, and Harry Reid has it right. John Boehner has to risk his job for his country. We may well have reached the point where it's one or the other.

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

"The government shutdown is going to slash the budget for food inspection. That's bad news for health advocates, but great news for the new Japanese restaurant: Leap of Faith Sushi."
---Conan O'Brien

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

"The government shutdown is going to slash the budget for food inspection. That's bad news for health advocates, but great news for the new Japanese restaurant: Leap of Faith Sushi."
---Conan O'Brien

attribution: None SpecifiedBest graphic of the week.
(via Americans United for Change)"People are saying now that before the government shutdown congressmen went out and got drunk, celebrating that they had shut down the government. This is the kind of thing that could damage their 10 percent approval rating."
---David Letterman
-
"I want the names of the idiots who elected these people."
---Jimmy Kimmel
-
"At least here in America, crucial agencies like the U.S. Border Patrol are still on the job. That's a good thing. The last thing we need is an influx of Canadians, with their politeness and a government that's open every day."
---Craig Ferguson
-
"How to end the government shutdown: I think if you hold down Texas and Maine at the same time, it automatically reboots."
---Stephen Colbert
-
"If it turns out that President Obama can make a deal with the most intransigent, hard-line, unreasonable totalitarian mullahs in the world, but not with Republicans, maybe he's not the problem."
---Jon Stewart

And...

"Texas Senator Ted Cruz gave a 21-hour speech on the floor of the Senate during which he read Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham, did an impression of Darth Vader, and admitted his love for White Castle. I'm not sure what Cruz's speech was arguing for, but I'm guessing legalizing weed."
---Seth Meyers

Phaedrus76's picture
Phaedrus76

Hey Harry. You going to bring this bipartisan resolution up?

"H R 3223 YEA-AND-NAY 5-Oct-2013 10:57 AM

BILL TITLE: To provide for the compensation of furloughed Federal employees

Yeas Nays PRES NV

Republican 218 13

Democratic 189 11

Independent

TOTALS 407 24"

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:Blah blah... the GOPers are completely innocent in the shutdown blah blah

Guess you're determined to evade all the evidence that Boehner is completely to blame for the shutdown and is preventing a "bipartisan" vote on a clean CR:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/10/tea-party-threats-are-not-blac...

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/10/tea-party-threats-are-not-blac...

Perhaps you should re-read #9.

[Pierpont wrote:]

The GOP House is just an innocent bystander.

[mjolnir wrote:]I never said that. The truth is that no one would be missing work today if Reid had agreed to a resolution committee. If the President can change a law by fiat I got no problem with a 435 member body of representatives also elected by the people to tell him to stick it. The law either applies to everyone or to no one.

The Senate facilitates 1,000+ days without a true budget, Reid sits on 30+ House resolutions, many passed with at least some bipartisan support in 2011-2012, and Obama changes law according to his whim, it's just "politics as usual" with you people. Boehner exercises his majorities Constitutional power and you hypocrites brand it anarchy.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:

Hey Harry. You going to bring this bipartisan resolution up?

"H R 3223 YEA-AND-NAY 5-Oct-2013 10:57 AM

BILL TITLE: To provide for the compensation of furloughed Federal employees

Yeas Nays PRES NV

Republican 218 13

Democratic 189 11

Independent

TOTALS 407 24"

What do you think Pp and cohorts: Should Reid bring this resolution to a vote?

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir
Quote mjolnir:. Boehner exercises his majorities Constitutional power and you hypocrites brand it anarchy.

Yup, it's amusing the depths the right will go through to make extortion seem respectable. Why don't you just come out and admit it that you're a gullible far right partisan... bought into the lies they told about Obamacare even though its origins are in a right wing proposal, are a sore loser when your side lost the battle in Congress, lost the battle in the courts, lost the the 2012 election, and like an infantile brat you approve of the tactics of other infantile brats if it helps you prevail.

At least THAT would be more honest than you're trying to portray what Boehner is doing as respectable.

Pierpont's picture
Pierpont

None of which addresses the first part of the post that you so convienently left out.

The Senate facilitates 1,000+ days without a true budget, Reid sits on 30+ House resolutions, many passed with at least some bipartisan support in 2011-2012, and Obama changes law according to his whim, it's just "politics as usual" with you people. - See more at: http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/10/tea-party-threats-are-not-blackmail-they-are-extortionists-add-hostage-takers#new
mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

What Do Democrats Really Want?

Thom plus logo Thomas Friedman, the confused billionaire, told us decades ago that "free trade" is what made the Lexus a successful product when, in fact, it was decades of Japanese government subsidies and explicit tariffs that did so.