$5 wifi phone plan

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

5 posts / 0 new

This isn't spam... I heard about this company on today's Clark Howard show. He concentrated on the cost for smart phone plans. But he neglected to mention what I find most interesting.... this company concentrates on WiFi. So they offer a $5 a month WiFi phone service plan. Upfront costs.. their CDMA smart phones start at $150 (will an unlocked Verizon work?) but depending where you live, you can get rid of your land-line for $5 a month? That's cheaper than most other VOIP services. There's a $10 plan for unlimited talk/text using cell/WiFi. It's about time prices for cell phone service finally became reasonable.

The company's name is republic... look it up yourself.

FYI

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Comments

in this case you could just use skype on your phone...
but there are a lot VOIP provider around who offer this service for years.

Whats the news?

eddi77's picture
eddi77
Quote eddi77:in this case you could just use skype on your phone... but there are a lot VOIP provider around who offer this service for years. Whats the news?

Hey... if there are other cheaper VOIP phone services that offer cell talk/data service... please post. Hell, maybe since Microsoft bought both Skype and Nokia... they have some plans.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote eddi77:in this case you could just use skype on your phone... but there are a lot VOIP provider around who offer this service for years. Whats the news?

Just curious... I'm assuming a Skype app on a phone needs its particular Skype address and would not respond to one's regular cell telephone number...? And that might be the difference. This company can assign/transfer a regular phone number that must be able to be reached via cell OR WiFi and claims the process is seamless. Maybe others can chime in on the technical aspects. They also offer $10 unlimited cell service. That's cheaper than many, if not most of the better VOIP phone services. The company piggybacks the Sprint network... and I've no idea whether that's good a bad. Clark Howard was just criticizing CDMA as inferior to GSM, then recommends a CDMA serivce. But then that was strictly for cost.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

I recently learned that at least one maker of cordless phones allows for a traditional land-line/VOIP option... and has a blu-tooth option for up to two cell phones to connect to the system... allowing for seamless cell to cordless integration. So if one is interested in a cheap system, they could have a $5 WiFi plan that connects to their cordless phones... or a $10 cell plan that is good for both home and mobile use. Of course more expensive phone plans would also work. Just an FYI for those interested in cutting another cord.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

The Thom Hartmann Program Newsletter Tuesday 21 January 2020

• Democracy Itself Is On Trial... Alexander Hamilton's Thoughts on Abuse of Power as Cause For Impeachment...
  • Democracy on Trial... Thom's Take & Your Calls Along w/LIVE coverage of the Senate Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump...