I did not get the Liberal emphasis on public schooling...but I do now!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

60 posts / 0 new

Comments

Quote micahjr34:

Well, looks like we are getting closer together in understanding. What I meant by "socialize" went beyond mere interaction and went into the realm of COMMUNITY! That is the greatest strength the public schools have over home schooling and private schools, which is "the learning and participation in a community." People doing more than just getting along...

No quibble with that.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2
Quote Alberto Ceras 2:

You simply don't understand. It has nothing at all to do with books and materials. It is the association with other children from widely differing backgrounds that public schools provide and that neither home schooling nor parochial schools can. While important, you overestimate the formative value of what children learn from school books. The most valuable life lessons they learn from peers.

I respectfully disagree with this point, AC2.

I don't discount that, I just think it isn't the main point that you imply.

I apologize if it's been asked before, or after, this post of yours, but aren't there studies that show home schooled kids do as well, or better in many areas, and in general?

I don't have a problem with allowing people the freedom to educate their children however they see fit. It's not like this economy allows anyone that may want to homeschool, to do so, antway.

My problem is simply that if we take away the resources for everyone to get an education, we're just going to widen the divide between the haves, and the have nots. AND, logically, there will only continue to become more have nots, than haves.

It's only good for the people that would benefit, in the short term, but they're too stupid to realize it, and they think everyone else is as well. Which everyone else will be, if they get their way.

We're already living in an idiocracy. How far do they actually think we'll allow them to take it? I know, they don't care, and the continually downward spiral will be continually blamed on a lack of more commitment to foolish notions.

Maybe there IS a better way than property taxes to fund public education. I know I'd love to pay less in that regard, if it feasible to facilitate a better solution to the smartening (maybe not a word) up of the population, as opposed to the dumbing down.

But what the hell do I know? I'm just a product of public education, military experience, along with family support, that allowed me to achieve a college education, that I couldn't possibly have achieved otherwise

drbjmn

The privitization of education, sounds alot like "let them eat cake", to me.

drbjmn

Even before I created this thread I have opposed vouchers because I felt that they were subsidies of private, for profit or not for profit institutions. The public schools exist to educate everyone who needs an education, especially if private schools or home schooling just is not an option for some reason. This is how I think now about it:

"Home schooling is good, but can be better. Private schools are better than home schooling, but can be better. Public schools are best, but they can be made better, too."

Instead of being a choice between the lesser of three evils, how about it being a choice between the greatest of three goods? Another point I need to repeat is that education is supposed to be done in the best interest of the student. While it would usually be best to put a student in public school for the sake of COMMUNITY, if for some reason the student will best be served by home schooling or private school, isn't that what should be done? Speaking hypothetically!

micahjr34

I have changed the title of my thread because I have realized the good that public schools do. I now view home schooling and private schools as a way to get an education if for some reason the public schools a child student would go to are for some reason unavailable or unacceptable!

micahjr34

The question I have, is how can anyone expect everyone to get an education, if it's only alloweed to be accessed by those that can pay, on their own? It's just a way to force more "middle class' in to the working poor, and then into the poor. If someone can logically explain how that is not the case, i welcome that explanation. I won't hold my breath.

drbjmn

Drbjmn,

That is why I support public schools now so much. Public schools exist so that those who can't pay for schooling of their children at home or by a private institution still have access to a quality education. I guess the people who are opposed to funding public education for the poor are against it because of the Randian Libertarian notion of "I don't want to pay for the education of other people's kids!"

micahjr34

As far as socialization goes, my intuition is that where you find home schooling you also find a whole social network that the school and its students are part of. With the public school, the guys on the football team wind up getting the high-paying union jobs in construction and contracting. With private schools, maybe the same thing essentially except the community-at-large or the social network within the larger community is more cloistered or insular.

"Socialization" in the larger sense to which people have been more accustomed to using it means being able to survive in a world which is not comprehensively supportive of your individual needs. You have to go out into the hurly-burly of the real world and make a living, find friends, define your values, etc. In the end, people who try to isolate themselves from this reality will find that the outside world will eventually overwhelm their carefully constructed reality.

nimblecivet
Quote micahjr34:

I have changed the title of my thread because I have realized the good that public schools do. I now view home schooling and private schools as a way to get an education if for some reason the public schools a child student would go to are for some reason unavailable or unacceptable!

Gud on ya, mate!!!

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2

Did Trump Commit Treason?

Thom plus logo News reports increasingly are suggesting that Donald Trump has committed treason in making a promise to a foreign leader. The question is, who is the foreign leader and what was the promise?