60 Minutes’ Cal. Aquifer Story Ignores 3 billion Gals of Fracking Waste Injected into Aquifers

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

51 posts / 0 new

This is unforgivable! And yes, that is 3 billion, with a “B”, gallons of toxic fracking waste was injected into California’s already drought depleted underground water aquifers near Bakersfield, California. These aquifers (11 wells) contained irrigation and high quality drinking water in some of the most fertile farmland in the world. See written and video report.

Waste Water from Oil Fracking Injected into Clean Aquifers

California Dept. of Conservation Deputy Director admits that errors were made

By Stephen Stock, Liza Meak, Mark Villarreal and Scott Pham

Published Friday, Nov 14, 2014

State officials allowed oil and gas companies to pump nearly three billion gallons of waste water into underground aquifers that could have been used for drinking water or irrigation.

Those aquifers are supposed to be off-limits to that kind of activity, protected by the EPA.

“It’s inexcusable,” said Hollin Kretzmann, at the Center for Biological Diversity in San Francisco. “At (a) time when California is experiencing one of the worst droughts in history, we’re allowing oil companies to contaminate what could otherwise be very useful ground water resources for irrigation and for drinking. It’s possible these aquifers are now contaminated irreparably.”

…The department ended up shutting down 11 wells: the nine that were known to be injecting into non-exempt aquifers, and another two in an abundance of caution.

In its reply letter to the EPA, California’s Water Resources Control Board said its “staff identified 108 water supply wells located within a one-mile radius of seven…injection wells” and that The Central Valley Water Board conducted sampling of “eight water supply wells in the vicinity of some of these… wells.”

“This is something that is going to slowly contaminate everything we know around here,” said fourth- generation Kern County almond grower Tom Frantz, who lives down the road from several of the injection wells in question.

According to state records, as many as 40 water supply wells, including domestic drinking wells, are located within one mile of a single well that’s been injecting into non-exempt aquifers.

That well is located in an area with several homes nearby, right in the middle of a citrus grove southeast of Bakersfield.

The article has an excellent map showing the 9 disposal wells and details of the companies that injected the fracking wastewater.

The 60 minutes’ Nov. 16, 2014 report by Leslie Stahl completely ignored the fracking wastewater story that was first released on October 6, 2014 by The Center of Biological Diversity. And yet the central theme of the 60 minutes’s story is that aquifer water is being depleted at an alarming rate which satellites have been able to measure.

[Excerpts from 60 Minutes Report]

…Water experts say groundwater is like a savings account -- something you draw on in times of need. But savings accounts need to be replenished, and there is new evidence that so much water is being taken out, much of the world is in danger of a groundwater overdraft.

California is entering its fourth year of a record-breaking drought. Last year was the driest since the state started keeping records more than a hundred years ago.

…So there's something of a groundwater rush going on here. Arthur's seven rigs are in constant use and his waiting list is well over a year. And because some wells here are running dry, he's having to drill twice as deep as he did just a year or two ago. This well will cost the farmer a quarter of a million dollars, and go down 1,200 feet -- about the height of the Empire State Building.

Lesley Stahl: Are you and are the farmers worried that by going that deep you are depleting the ground water?

Steve Arthur: Well, yes, we are depleting it. But on the other hand, what choice do you have? This is the most fertile valley in the world. You can grow anything you want here. If we don't have water to grow something, it's going to be a desert.

Scientists have been able to measure the amount of groundwater by using two satellites which track each other’s speed.

Gathering data from holes in the ground like this has been the only way to get a handle on groundwater depletion. That is, until 2002, and the launch of an experimental NASA satellite called GRACE.

Lesley Stahl: What does GRACE stand for?

Mike Watkins: So GRACE stands for gravity recovery and climate experiment.

Mike Watkins is head of the Science Division at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. He was the mission manager for the latest Mars rover mission and he is the project scientist for GRACE.

Mike Watkins: So the way GRACE works is it's two satellites.

Lesley Stahl: Two?

Mike Watkins: They're actually measuring each other's orbit very, very accurately.

What affects that orbit is gravity.

Mike Watkins: As the first one comes up on some extra mass, an area of higher gravity, it gets pulled away...

Lesley Stahl: It goes faster.

Mike Watkins: ...from the second spacecraft.

And that's where water comes in. Since water has mass, it affects the pull of gravity, so after the first GRACE satellite approaches an area that's had lots of heavy rain for example, and is pulled ahead, the second one gets there, feels the pull and catches up. The instruments are constantly measuring the distance between the two.

Mike Watkins: Their changes in separation, their changes in their orbit are a little different this month than last month because water moved around and it changed the gravity field just enough.

So GRACE can tell whether an area has gained water weight or lost it.

Lesley Stahl: So GRACE is like a big scale in the sky?

Mike Watkins: Absolutely.

One would think that a story about depleted aquifers would mention the fact that frackers are injecting billions of gallons of toxic waste into the same high quality drinking water aquifers. Not a word was said about fracking in Stahl’s report. And even though the draught is a major story in California, fracking toxic disposal and the dwindling Central Valley aquifers were not even mentioned in the last 2014 election.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Comments

From the comments:

I'm a geologist working in the private sector and have worked in the public sector. The fact that these Class 1 industrial waste disposal wells were completed in horizons that contain clean water is UNCONSCIONABLE! The technical reviewers, their bosses and and all maybe up to the commissioner should be FIRED! You should have competent people reviewing these permits! If the reports that were submitted with the applications for these wells were signed and stamped by a Professional Engineer or Professional Geologist, they should be prosecuted for not protecting the public's interest (which is why there is licensing of engineers and geologists!).

I do not want to send any more of our sons and daughters to war that has anything to do with oil. "Mistakes" like this make it harder to develop domestic energy resources which can be done cleanly. It is the improper disposal of the spent frac fluid that causes problems. From the above nonsense to allowing open air disposal lagoons in Pennsylvania, disposal of spent frac fluids should be properly planned, carefully executed and regulated heavily. Without competent regulators to watch over these disposal processes, we will continue to have issues with the disposal of this waste. The production industry needs to realize that if mistakes like this continue to happen, all the benefits of fracing that allow us to increase production to allow us to turn away from foreign sources of petroleum will be put at risk.

I

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

yeah, but doug, all this takes place long after the cash has been taken elsewhere, so it doesn't exist on the books as more than a latent externality. The interest they save on the money they don't spend will more than cover the fines. It is all there in the financial report. Don't worry about non-fiduciary stuff. You are a corporation. Smell the money.

drc2

Sacramento is urging Californians to conserve water during this extreme drought, but allowing shale oil drillers to dump billions of gallons of fracking waste under and on the most fertile farming soil in the world.

Inspections completed this week by the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board revealed the existence of more than 300 previously unidentified waste sites. The water board’s review found that more than one-third of the region’s active disposal pits are operating without permission.

The pits raise new water quality concerns in a region where agricultural fields sit side by side with oil fields and where California’s ongoing drought has made protecting groundwater supplies paramount.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

All of this makes me so sick and WHERE IS GOV BROWN??? HELLO GOV BROWN? CAN YOU HEAR US NOW????

DROUGHT EMERGENCY???? STOP THE FRACKING ALREADY!!!!

AND 60 MINUTES? What's up with that show? I thought they were better than that!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
The 60 minutes’ Nov. 16, 2014 report by Leslie Stahl completely ignored the fracking wastewater story that was first released onOctober 6, 2014 by The Center of Biological Diversity.

I have a feeling that 60 minutes has a bit longer of a production lead time than 30-45 days. but yeah- Unforgivable

stwo's picture
stwo

Back in January, they released 55 million gallons of drinking water down a San Mateo Creek in California. Drought? Don't water your lawns or have a garden? If I was still living in California, I'd be really ticked off about this. I know my friends in California are sure not happy that they wasted 55 million gallons of drinking water. I have friends that live in Bakerfield too within a couple of miles from where that site is. Here is the location of that orange field and the well:
35°21'35.97"N 118°52'35.40"W

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

antifascist: Thanks for that link. Very interesting!

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Palindoromedary, I hadn't heard about the release of 55 million gallons of drinking water down a San Mateo Creek. Can you fill me in? Do you have a link to share?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The news story always refers to the California drought as the reason for the empty reservoirs, but there are other causes for the low level of water left, in fact only one year of water is held by California lakes. Water use is not adequately regulated in California. Farms pump as much water as they want, industry ships water out of California for bottled water for only a dollar per thousands of gallons, Frackers take billions of gallons of water and then after its polluted, is pumped back into the ground to contaminate billions of gallons of drinkable water underground. Billions of gallons of water are channled from Northern California to Southern California.

And then the ordinary household consumer is asked to "conserve" water. However, the article linked below notes that “residential [water] use in California is about 4 percent," but "Eighty percent is for agriculture.” And note that the San Joaquin Valley where most of the nation's food is grown is a desert! Ordinary residental households only use 4 percent of the water--industry sucks up all the rest and is the main reason California is out of water.

California Is Fast Running Out of Water—Blame It on Big Ag

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

MrsBJLee: http://abc7news.com/news/million-of-gallons-of-water-wasted-in-dam-safet...

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary
Quote Palindromedary:MrsBJLee: http://abc7news.com/news/million-of-gallons-of-water-wasted-in-dam-safety-test-/477152/

Thanks for posting that video. I don't understand why they couldn't have found a way to test the valves BEFORE they even installed them? WHY did we have to loose all of this water? Their timing certainly STINKS!

Thanks again for posting it.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote Antifascist:

The news story always refers to the California drought as the reason for the empty reservoirs, but there are other causes for the low level of water left, in fact only one year of water is held by California lakes. Water use is not adequately regulated in California. Farms pump as much water as they want, industry ships water out of California for bottled water for only a dollar per thousands of gallons, Frackers take billions of gallons of water and then after its polluted, is pumped back into the ground to contaminate billions of gallons of drinkable water underground. Billions of gallons of water are channled from Northern California to Southern California.

And then the ordinary household consumer is asked to "conserve" water. However, the article linked below notes that “residential [water] use in California is about 4 percent," but "Eighty percent is for agriculture.” And note that the San Joaquin Valley where most of the nation's food is grown is a desert! Ordinary residental households only use 4 percent of the water--industry sucks up all the rest and is the main reason California is out of water.

California Is Fast Running Out of Water—Blame It on Big Ag

Thanks for posting the link to the article. I agree it's CRAZY that they are trying to feed the nation from farms in a desert! So here we are in a 4-5 year drought and what is going to happen now?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

You're welcome, MrsBJLee! Yeah, they could have waited until they got over the drought...or waited until the reservoir went dry. They should be able to see if a valve works without having water actually pouring through it. But to waste all that water during a drought is just plain stupid. They will fine people for using a few gallons but they won't do anything to those responsible for wasting millions of gallons of water.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary
Quote Palindromedary:You're welcome, MrsBJLee! Yeah, they could have waited until they got over the drought...or waited until the reservoir went dry. They should be able to see if a valve works without having water actually pouring through it. But to waste all that water during a drought is just plain stupid. They will fine people for using a few gallons but they won't do anything to those responsible for wasting millions of gallons of water.

So TRUE! I'm still FURIOUS at Gov Brown for not imposing at least a moratorium on fracking!

I heard the mayor of Los Angeles boasting that Los Angeles stepped up and has surpassed the requested water savings. I think that's great but I wonder how much more could have been saved if all of the cities sprinklers were fixed and only used once a week? How about all the water wasted when they flush the water hydrants? We really need to find better ways to capture and store water too. We are really in trouble right now with an aging water infrastructure to top it off!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Has anyone seen this article?

http://ecowatch.com/2015/04/01/epa-700-chemicals-fracking/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Oh I just had to add this one too! Even though it's a farmer from Nebraska it's still about fracking waste in the water. Watch the video!

http://ecowatch.com/2015/03/31/nebraska-oil-and-gas-commission-fracking-...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

This is what Californian's think about the oil companies total disregard for our clean water and for actually trying to figure out ways to CONTINUE to allow this practice!

http://ecowatch.com/2015/03/25/californians-against-fracking-protest/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Fracking In California Used 70 Million Gallons Of Water In 2014

and

Nestlé’s despicable water-crisis profiteering: How it’s making a killing — while California is dying of thirst

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:

Fracking In California Used 70 Million Gallons Of Water In 2014

and

Nestlé’s despicable water-crisis profiteering: How it’s making a killing — while California is dying of thirst

Thank you for the above articles! I would like to add this link to what you have posted.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/environment/fracking-animal-agriculture-dr...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

This is despicable! I want to know who's getting the pink slips and fines over this?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Waste-Water-from-Oil-Fracking-I...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I know there was a battle over Nestle regarding water in Michigan. How they ended up with water rights here in California is beyond me and then you have the farmers!

"In a technical sense, that’s true. Some farmers have “senior water rights,” dating back to the Water Commission Act of 1914, which puts them at the front of the line for allocations. But unlike the individual apartment dweller, farmers aren’t limited to “surface water” found in reservoirs and canals and streams. They can also extract groundwater virtually unimpeded; until last year there were basically no regulations against anyone sticking a drill in the ground and pumping the water under the Earth — which has drained long-term water resources almost dry and contributed to the land actually sinking in some parts of the Central Valley. This safety valve, the ability to go underground, has led to the perpetuation of wasteful irrigation systems and unsustainable plantings. (Enough with the almonds and rice!)"

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Thanks for your post entries MrsBJLee.

This is a common tactic of business interests to delay new regulations they are against for years, and even decades so they have time to lobby, or bribe legislators to abolish them altogether. This is how some of the new Frank-Dodd banking regulations were defeated.

California Urban Water Use Restricted While Regulators Give Oil Industry Two More Years To Operate Injection Wells In Protected Groundwater Aquifers

As water is becoming scare, water companies are racing to suck up every last drop in the economics of extinction.

Companies Are Bottling Up California's Water Despite The Historic Drought

And this is really distrubing. Billions of gallons of water released by the State of California from Lake Oroville in California has gone missing. Here is what Lake Orovill looked like before the draught, and now. The estuaries east of San Francisco, and the Delta is fed by rivers of freshwater flowing down from the Sierra Nevada and northern mountain ranges. Water is released to keep salt water from intruding up the Delta and feeder rivers. Some of this water is used by Delta farmers, Central Valley farmers and about 25 millions people but the water released disappered--it never made it to San Diego or the Central Valley. "Thousands of acre-feet of water a day for a couple of weeks" was released to flush back the salt water and it went missing--this is millions and millions of gallons of water in a historic draught!

California Delta's Water Mysteriously Missing Amid Drought

It seems some farmers when out of the farming business and went into the water business.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:

Thanks for your post entries MrsBJLee.

This is a common tactic of business interests to delay new regulations they are against for years, and even decades so they have time to lobby, or bribe legislators to abolish them altogether. This is how some of the new Frank-Dodd banking regulations were defeated.

California Urban Water Use Restricted While Regulators Give Oil Industry Two More Years To Operate Injection Wells In Protected Groundwater Aquifers

As water is becoming scare, water companies are racing to suck up every last drop in the economics of extinction.

Companies Are Bottling Up California's Water Despite The Historic Drought

And this is really distrubing. Billions of gallons of water released by the State of California from Lake Oroville in California has gone missing. Here is what Lake Orovill looked like before the draught, and now. The estuaries east of San Francisco, and the Delta is fed by rivers of freshwater flowing down from the Sierra Nevada and northern mountain ranges. Water is released to keep salt water from intruding up the Delta and feeder rivers. Some of this water is used by Delta farmers, Central Valley farmers and about 25 millions people but the water released disappered--it never made it to San Diego or the Central Valley. "Thousands of acre-feet of water a day for a couple of weeks" was released to flush back the salt water and it went missing--this is millions and millions of gallons of water in a historic draught!

California Delta's Water Mysteriously Missing Amid Drought

It seems some farmers when out of the farming business and went into the water business.

Wow....we have water theives now! Water just disappearing is unacceptable! That's an awful lot of water to say it's just missing! Wouldn't be surprised if they blamed it on illegal pot farming.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Nestlé's California water permit expired 27 years ago

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:

Nestlé's California water permit expired 27 years ago

OMG! Thank you for posting that link! Everyone that looked the other way and didn't do their job for the past 27 years deserve pink slips! TWENTY SEVEN YEARS WITHOUT A PERMIT??? I am so mad!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Current Levels of California's Major Reservoirs
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/getResGraphsMain.action

There's a lot of other graphs at this site you can click on as well.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

I'm trying to use simple math to put all this wasted water into perspective. A modern, water efficient toilet uses 1.6 gallons or less per flush. There are nearly 40 million people residing in California. Officials released 55 million gallons of water into San Mateo Creek to test the valves on the dam. If every toilet in California was modern and water efficient, the release would be roughly equivalent to five out of six residents of California flushing their toilet one time, with all the water going down San Mateo Creek into the San Francisco Bay.

Also, along the same line of thinking, If the fracking Industry used 70 million gallons of water in 2014, that would be roughly equivalent to just a little more than one flush of a water efficient toilet by every California resident.

One way to save even more water could be for every California home to install a composting toilet in their back yard. I used one for years at my old workshop. With proper care, they work just fine, and hardly require any water at all: Usually less than a pint of water per use, in order to keep them composting.

Sacramento Dave's picture
Sacramento Dave

I understand that many businesses are installing "no flush" chemical urinals and low flush toilets which, I've read, has saved a lot of water. And many people have installed low flush toilets in their homes as well. The problem with low-flush toilets is that unless you flush enough water down the sewer pipes, they clog up easily. Some people end up having to flush those low-flush toilets 2 or 3 times to make sure the solid waste gets flushed down the sewer pipes and into the sewers.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

That's an excellent graph Palin. Thanks!

California's Farms Would Only Need To Cut Water By 6.6 Percent To Match Urban Restrictions

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Palindromedary:I understand that many businesses are installing "no flush" chemical urinals and low flush toilets which, I've read, has saved a lot of water. And many people have installed low flush toilets in their homes as well. The problem with low-flush toilets is that unless you flush enough water down the sewer pipes, they clog up easily. Some people end up having to flush those low-flush toilets 2 or 3 times to make sure the solid waste gets flushed down the sewer pipes and into the sewers.

GREAT! That doesn't sound like a very good idea! We used bricks in our toilet tank to cut down on the water use. I think that might actually work better than the low flush toilets regarding the sewer pipes!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

This is really maddening. 72,000 gallons a day poured down the sewer during the severest drought in California history.

Neighbors concerned of water waste at Palo Alto construction site (Video Report)

Bobel said the owners of each property are pumping out the water from a shallow aquifer beneath their land to build a basement in their future home.

"We haven't measured it but an estimate would be 50 gallons a minute," Bobel said. "That is a lot of water."

At 50 gallons a minute, approximately 72,000 gallons of water is being diverted per day from each location. Plus, the pumping can last anywhere from six months to more than one year....

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

http://news.yahoo.com/seismic-shift--oklahoma-s-earthquakes-triggered-by...

Seismic shift: Oklahoma’s earthquakes triggered by wastewater disposal wells

DynoDon
Quote Antifascist:

This is really maddening. 72,000 gallons a day poured down the sewer during the severest drought in California history.

Neighbors concerned of water waste at Palo Alto construction site (Video Report)

Bobel said the owners of each property are pumping out the water from a shallow aquifer beneath their land to build a basement in their future home.

"We haven't measured it but an estimate would be 50 gallons a minute," Bobel said. "That is a lot of water."

At 50 gallons a minute, approximately 72,000 gallons of water is being diverted per day from each location. Plus, the pumping can last anywhere from six months to more than one year....

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME! Why are they even considering basements in California? THIS IS PATHETIC!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

To shield tech executives, California’s biggest water users are secret ...by law.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:That's an excellent graph Palin. Thanks!

And thanks for that link.
Quote MrsBJLee:GREAT! That doesn't sound like a very good idea! We used bricks in our toilet tank to cut down on the water use. I think that might actually work better than the low flush toilets regarding the sewer pipes!
Yeah, chemical urinals may save water but they don't always smell very nice...even with chemicals. I'm glad I can hold my breath for a long time and then there is always burying my nose and mouth under the neck of my shirt till the deed is done. I don't think women have that problem...I don't think they have chemical urinals or toilets for women.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Antifascist #32: I had heard something about that but never knew that it was being pumped out from an aquifer beneath those homes. Don't aquifers just refill over time? And if so, won't they have to pump continuously to keep their basements dry? Seems to me the city should have not approved the building of basements under those houses. But, I guess money trumps all (politicians anyway). When things like this happen it just makes a farce of the mandates the government officials try to impose on all the rest of us. Save water! My Ass! Do as I say, not as I do! Yeah, we hear ya, government officials...we hear ya loud and clear!

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Antifascist #35: Interesting article! And in that article:

Quote article:Earlier this month, a judge ruled that corporate water bills also should remain secret, saying that while businesses don’t have the same privacy rights as people, the law nevertheless applies to all customers.

So, just because a judge rules something does not necessarily make it right! Right? Judges can be scoundrels, too, just like any other politician...actually, they are politicians...as they are voted into office. And where one judge somewhere will make a ruling, it may not necessarily apply somewhere else... perhaps... where other judges make different rulings.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

By the way, Condoleeza Rice lives in Palo Alto, among other places... like near a golf course near Spanish Bay Beach (The Links at Spanish Bay) along the scenic and exclusive* 17 mile drive.

*People have to pay a fee to drive it. But one can still see Condi's Condo from across the way from the riff-raff side...the BeachComber Inn side.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary
Quote Antifascist:

To shield tech executives, California’s biggest water users are secret ...by law.

OMG thanks for posting that link! BASTARDS! They sit in their lush offices and tell us to conserve our water. Then they go home and have used enough water for 8-10 households and one guy just doesn't know what to do. Should he sell his house or take out his schrubs? LOL are you freaking kidding me! A 3rd grader could tell him what he is supposed to do. WHAT IS HE DOING IN OFFICE?? I checked this link out too>

http://www.revealnews.org/article-legacy/california-water-officials-aren...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote Palindromedary:Antifascist #32: I had heard something about that but never knew that it was being pumped out from an aquifer beneath those homes. Don't aquifers just refill over time? And if so, won't they have to pump continuously to keep their basements dry? Seems to me the city should have not approved the building of basements under those houses. But, I guess money trumps all (politicians anyway). When things like this happen it just makes a farce of the mandates the government officials try to impose on all the rest of us. Save water! My Ass! Do as I say, not as I do! Yeah, we hear ya, government officials...we hear ya loud and clear!

I'm STILL FUMING over that story and it's in Palo Alto the same place where they made the water usage secret. I say heads should roll......or at least give them pink slips and fines!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

MSM is garbage and Thom denys...

http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/prestigious-health-magazine-covers-ge...

donna ford's picture
donna ford

Disturbing report on the California drought and water shortage with an interview of journalists Lance Williams and Katharine Mieszkowski from the The Center for Investigative Reporting.

Notice that the shitty 60 minutes program didn't report any of the following information.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Wow...thank you for posting this. It's outrageous!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Nestlé Under Fire For Drawing Tens of Millions of Gallons Of Water For Sale While Paying Only $524 Under An Expired Permit | JONATHAN TURLEY

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

We are getting RIPPED OFF!

Thanks for posting this!

DAM! How much MORE can they rip us off? I guess I better not ask!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

In Bel-Air, someone is using 1,300 gallons of water — per hour - LA Times

In the San Francisco Bay Area the biggest water wasters are...

OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) --A new report from the East Bay Municipal Utility District was released that lists the 1,100 heaviest water users during the drought.

Retired Chevron executive George Kirkland tops the list at more than 12,000 gallons of water a day.

Sky7 HD was over Oakland Athletics executive Billy Beane's property in Danville, one of the other top water users on the list.

One day after his name appeared on a list of excessive water users, there is a leak detection truck outside the Blackhawk home of A's executive Billy Beane.

Beane appears third on a partial list released by EBMUD of the top water users over a 60 day period that included July and August.

Number one is George Kirkland, a former Chevron executive and Blackhawk neighbor of Beane's, who averages more than 12,000 gallons per day. Number two, Alamo venture capitalist Mark Pine, more than 8,000 and then Beane with nearly 6,000 gallons per day.

article continues...

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

I'm glad these people are being outed!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

That shows the mentality of the Rockefeller Big Oil executives. Conservation & Green Living is very, very important - but only for "the little people".

Instant-RunOff-...
Government Run Like A Business Led To Lead In Flint’s Water

• "Rick Snyder is a businessman (CEO, venture capitalist) who in 2010 campaigned for governor on running government like a business, promising to be the CEO governor who would create jobs."
  • "According to the Daily Beast, “While Snyder was on the board of Gateway [a U.S.-based computer company that had its heyday in the 1990s but ceased independent operations in 2007], the company’s workforce contracted from 21,000 American workers in 2000 to 7,400 workers in 2003.”)"
  • "In 2011, Republicans passed a controversial law allowing the governor to run government like a business and appoint a CEO-style “emergency manager” when a city is considered to be financially irresponsible (i.e., too black). Under the law, it does not matter that the people of the city already elected a mayor, council and other leaders. The governor sets the election aside, brings in an emergency manager to take control of the local government, reduce its size and cost, and privatize public property, no matter the effect on the people there. "
  • "Michigan’s emergency manager law was repealed by referendum in 2012. So Republicans re-passed it in a lame duck legislative session. But this time they included a small appropriation, which under Michigan law meant it cannot be subject to a voter referendum."
  • "Flint’s public health emergency started when the city’s emergency manager “saved money” ($8.5 million over 5 years) by switching the city’s water source from Detroit via a pipeline to drawing water from the polluted Flint River. People involved in water systems will tell you that river water is acidic, which leaches lead and other metals from pipes, but they were not asked. The emergency managers could have added corrosion control chemicals to the water, but that would be more “government spending,” and they didn’t."
  • "For 18 months people complained. They started getting rashes. People’s hair was falling out. The government, run like a business, did what businesses do: they entered “damage-control mode,” denied there was a problem, blamed the messengers and tried to spin things their way. City and state officials said the water was OK."
  • "Five parts per billion of lead are a concern. When lead reaches 15 parts per billion, the EPA says you are in trouble. 5,000 parts per billion is considered “toxic waste.”From April 2014 until October 2015 (and later, and still) the people of Flint were drinking water with up to 13,000 parts per billion of lead in it."
  • "The State of Michigan, under the direction of Governor Rick Snyder, tried to keep the story under wraps, and deny there was a problem, apparently even after they knew there was a serious problem. As late as September the state was still denying there was a problem with the water from the Flint river, and taking issue with the studies saying otherwise. Michigan Live wrote, “State says data shows no link to Flint River, elevated lead in blood“:"...However, while denying there was a problem, the governor’s office was secretly ordering filters be supplied to Flint.
  • "...residents were instructed to “pre-flush” taps before samples were taken, a practice that has been shown “to result in the minimization of lead capture and significant underestimation of lead levels.”"
  • "On top of the lead crisis, Legionnaire’s disease is breaking out in Flint, also apparently a consequence of the problems with Flint’s water. So far 87 cases of Legionnaire’s Disease, 10 of them fatal, have turned up. "
  • "Like a business, Flint is telling customers they still owe for the poisoned water. They are sending shut-off notices to residents telling them they will be cut off if they do not pay up."
Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Hey no worries. Bush has 300,000 acres over an aquifer in Paraguay. They'll be fine... So we know Bush and Koch got wealthy from Adolph Hitler. So if Neocons think we are the enemy. An enemy apparently too stubborn or afraid to even realize we are the enemy. Then what better and quicker way to render the enemy defeated than mucking up their water? They have no qualms about sending kids to protect oil wells. Or paying billions to Cheney Haliburton for the war in Iraq. Personally I've seen it since Nixon while most actually believe cannabis is such a threat we should spend over a trillion dollars and persecute over 20 million Americans. While keeping Haliburton Bush and Cheney crude oil and pharmaceuticals without competition.

So they ruin our water and by coincidence Bush and Moonies own property over the largest aquifer in Latin America. How is it that the GOP is still a major party or how dumb do Americans have to be to think its all politics and not profits? Well if it takes as long as it has taken to realize 150 million people smoke Ganja every day without problems outside of prohibition causing them. Then by the time we realize the Neocons have sold us out, we'll be slaves. Fracking is soooo safe it had to be exempted from the Clean Air and Water Acts by Cheney. Like children getting caught playing with muddy frogs in their bedroom. Hiding it under the bed when the parents come in. Then the first thing uttered is don't look under the bed.

Oh no, no guilt there. So they spend a trillion to see if the millions smoking Ganja are safe before legalizing it. Yet fracking safety is just the word of a known liar killing over 4000 Americans in Iraq. Not enough to remove cannabis from the bogus controlled substance act. But Cheney's word is enough to keep fracking from the Clean Air and Water protections. Gawd Bless America where ever she may be hiding.

Cheney's Legacy of Fracking America to Death
It Can't Happen Heeere
Halliburton Watch: fracturing Americans 1949 - ?

Fracking-Related Earthquakes Lead Oklahoma
to Increase Regulation of Wastewater Wells

The United States can't be so fixed
on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans . . . .
-- Bill Clinton, March 1, 1993,
press conference in Piscataway, N.J.
(Boston Globe, 3/2/93, page 3; and USA Today, 3/11/93

When there is an environmental crisis the GOP knows how to follow instructions. They vote out regulations and stick their heads up their ass and pray.

U.S. top court rejects Nestle bid
to throw out child slavery suit

Access to water is not your right
believing you have a right to water - is an extreme belief
Water is a raw material and a "foodstuff" that should be
privatized and commercialized.
~ Nestle Group
"Access to Water Is Not Your Right"

HUGE Methane GAS LEAK Impacting Town & Environment

The Company Behind LA's Methane Disaster
Knew Its Well Was Leaking 24 Years Ago

Lead In The Water In Flint, Michigan

St. Louis Radioactive Leak 12/15/15

Gluttons for Punishment
Republican congressional leaders persist in the belief that advancing economic expansion at the expense of environmental protection is a winning strategy. They never learn.
House Republicans Pass Coal Ash Regulations, Shift Power Away From EPA

War On The EPA: Republican Bills Would Erase Decades Of Protection

G.O.P. Push in States to Deregulate Environment

Cheney, Rothschild, and Fox News’ Murdoch
to Drill for Oil in Syria, Violating International Law

Father of Koch Brothers Helped Build Nazi Oil Refinery

Bush Family History with Nazism

Why Did George Bush Buy Nearly 300,000 acres in Paraguay?

Bush and Moonies own 1.1 million acres in Paraguay astride the Guarani aquifer. Latin America's largest water aquifer, as they frack up the Ogallala Aquifer in the US.

"The New “Water Barons
“Water is the oil of the 21st century.” Andrew Liveris, CEO of DOW Chemical

A disturbing trend in the water sector is accelerating worldwide. The new “water barons” — the Wall Street banks and elitist multibillionaires — are buying up water all over the world at unprecedented pace. Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Citigroup, UBS, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Macquarie Bank, Barclays Bank, the Blackstone Group, Allianz, and HSBC Bank, T. Boone Pickens, George H.W. Bush and his family, Hong Kong’s Li Ka-shing, Philippines’ Manuel V. Pangilinan and others are buying thousands of acres of land with aquifers, lakes, water rights, water utilities, shares in water engineering and technology companies all over the world.

Bush Family Evil Empire join the rush to privatize the world's water supplies

Bill C-45 removes 99% of Canada's lakes and rivers from the protected list

Greeks Stand Up to Protect Their Water From Privatization:

Why Did George Bush Buy Nearly 300,000 acres in Paraguay?

DdC's picture
DdC

We Know How Far Trump Will Go - How Far Will Republicans Go?

Thom plus logo Colonel Vindman's testimony pretty much proves that Trump was trying to shake down Ukraine for information on Biden, and that the Republicans are doing everything they can to cover up this extortion attempt.