This is your brain on e-mail

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

2 posts / 0 new

Why the Modern World Is Bad for Your Brain:How our addiction to technology is making us less efficient.
By Daniel J. Levitin / The Guardian
January 19, 2015

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Comments

I found it a revealing article, but I was a bit put off by the use of "efficiency" to talk about how we are screwing up the brain with multi tasking and the like.

Efficiency is like achieving a bottom line productive purpose (and a profit) in a modern industrial institutional manner.

Where what I would say we are losing to this modern addiction is our essential humanity, our ability to make sense of the real world around us, and to relate to each other and that world through a holistically operating brain, not necessarily an efficient one.

A more efficient technocrat (Eichmann and the banality of evil, for instance) is not what I would fear losing to this addiction to technology. I doubt it was an efficient brain that achieved the great works of art that precede the rise of the industrial, technological society that Jacques Ellul elucidates in The Technological Society, and discusses in The Betrayal by Technology part 1 of 6 (the other parts for anyone intrested are accessible in the sidebar).

.ren's picture
.ren

Will Racism Backfire on Trump...Or not?

Thom plus logo Trump's son Eric said on Fox News that he's loving the Democrats being upset about Trump's racist language. He argued that it's playing right into their hands.