The Brian Williams Affair

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

11 posts / 0 new

A lot of people believe that if you bluff your way through an over priced and overrated school, wear an expensive suit and tie you must be telling the gospel truth. That is one of the main reasons we are losing our freedoms today. King George III of England thought he was God’s representative on earth and his decrees were the gospel truth. The founders of this country took issue with that and that is the only reason there is a United States today. People in this country better re-gain the skepticism that ensures the freedoms that we have. A more appropriate headline would be "Brian Williams actually told the truth!"

Gullah Jack's picture
Gullah Jack

Comments

I agree with Bill Maher that the "NEWS" as reported on the major networks is about 5 minutes with the rest weather and small talk. They do not report on what happened in Congress today, Net Nutrality, TPP, Climate Change etc.

Legend
Quote Gullah Jack:A lot of people believe that if you bluff your way through an over priced and overrated school, wear an expensive suit and tie you must be telling the gospel truth.
It can make you so skilled at fighting the bad guys that you can save the world according to the new movie "Kingsman". It is really kind of a comedy spoof on James Bond movies.

I liked the movie..it was funny. In the movie, all the candidates had to do was to prove their loyalty and skill at getting out of difficult situations and then put on a tailor-made suit and glasses and carry an umbrella. Then he could beat up a whole lot of foes at the same time. In a way, it's just another "snot-nosed" kid (a teenager anyway) who was being bullied by his peers and a rotten step-father and neglected by his mother who lost her first husband (a previous Kingsmen). It was pretty gory at times though.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Reagan killed the news over 30 years ago. There is no law for truth in broadcasting anymore, even though the airwaves belong to the public, not the liers using them. As a newscaster, if you do not lie, you can be fired and your termination is justified in the eyes of the courts (that don't know law).

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Washingtonpost.com/posttv/national/did-bill-oreilly-lie-about-his-war-reporting-too video.

Of course he did, he's a bloviating blowhard broadcasting bombastic balderdash, between belches.

david-corn-response-oreilly-falklands

Bill Oh'really? Gets hot when faced with real journalists or journalism. He said the other night there are millions of radical muslims and this (Isis) is a holy war, and Obama didn't say so.

videos/us/2015/02/20/ctn-bts-stelter-bill-o-reilly-mother-jones-report.

is the last journalist in billo's crosshairs, for saying what others are saying. He claimed he was in combat zones he wasn't in. I watched a tv show with Vic Morrow called Combat growing up but I was not in a combat zone and wouldn't claim I was. Other kids watched episodes too and talked about them, yes you could say we knew Combat well. SNL could do a young Billo claiming the same thing.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

the human ego is like diamond- very very hard, yet ever so brittle...........who among us is any different, or immune? the list is endless, as endless as the list of people who have ever will............... cast the frst stone, eh?

michellekovalik's picture
michellekovalik

Bill O'Liarly is proud of his fiction and fox insists he not correct or stand down.

http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/why_bill_oreilly_is_playing_

Since fox's brand is lies, this reassures it's fan base that it will not surrender to integrity. The liberal media is so restricted with facts, tune in to fox and fiction will never dissappoint you, they will broadcast just what you want to hear. Obama is a Kenyan Muslim, King, dictator that's too weak to slander Islam.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Why Bill O’Reilly can play hardball on his war zone story

The media controversy is one that plays to his and Fox News’ inherent strengths.

- See more at: http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/why_bill_oreilly_is_playing_ha.php#sthash.a95N8AkT.dpuf

Are late night monologues getting in on this?

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Fox News host Bill O’Reilly continued a boisterous defense this week against charges originally leveled by a Mother Jones report that accused him of exaggerating his experience in war zones. On The O’Reilly Factor on Monday night, he rehashed 1982 Buenos Aires protests in a 9-minute piece complete with archival footage from CBS News. “As you may know, some left-wing zealots have attacked me, your humble correspondent,” O’Reilly began. “They say I trumped up my war experiences in the Falklands conflict and in El Salvador.”

Later that night, The New York Times added its own story about O’Reilly’s cub reporter days. And true to form, he came out swinging once again. “I am coming after you with everything I have,” O’Reilly told a Times reporter by phone. “You can take it as a threat.”

Though the Fox host didn’t respond to requests for comment on the initial MoJo piece, whose title provocatively likened his claims to those of disgraced NBC newsman Brian Williams, he has since lambasted co-author David Corn and other reporters and outlets with ad hominem attacks across a wide array of media. Fox executives have publicly backed the primetime host.

- See more at: http://www.cjr.org/behind_the_news/why_bill_oreilly_is_playing_ha.php#st...

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

This has been going on for much longer than most people think. Mark Twain once said that if you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed and if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. Sounds pretty accurate even today.

Bush_Wacker's picture
Bush_Wacker

I believe there was a time when there was real journalism in this country but that was before the concentration of media outlets in a few hands. Now you have to search for the truth. Like Pilate said, “What is truth?”. It certainly isn’t being presented by puffed up talking heads on the television screens. These people are trained to lie. Mr. Williams must have offended someone so he was hung out to dry. It’s obvious Mr. O’Reilly has a problem with the truth. That was no revelation. He has the permanent sneer of the accomplished swindler.

Gullah Jack's picture
Gullah Jack

Trump and His Billionaire Buddies Plot to Destroy Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid

Thom plus logo Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are officially in the crosshairs of the Trump administration, and they intend to go after them this year.