Perspective

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

1 post / 0 new

I noticed that the student government at the University of California, Ervine has voted to remove the United States Flag (or any flag) from its lobby and offices. I would remind everyone of Christ’s admonition “judge not, that ye be not judged, for with whatsoever judgment ye meet, therewith shall ye be judged”. I would like to complement the young people for their passion, and their willingness to actually take a stand for principles which recognize the shortcomings of our current political system. However; I cannot help but remind you of the voice of a young man who fought to help free this great Nation from monarchy, and corporate tyranny; having been caught spying for the American forces by the British Army, at his summary execution, He bravely said, “I regret that I have but one life to give for my country”. These young people are correct to wish to distance themselves from current and past political leaders who wish to interpret our Constitution to only apply to a few; so that the malefactor, or the beggar, or the stranger at gate (non-citizens) are no longer entitled to equal treatment under the law. I would encourage you all to re-consider judging this great Nation, or the Constitution on which it stands, whose precepts are inspired by Christ, and written into human secular Law for the first time in history by men were directly influenced by the Enlightenment. All modern democratic governments were inspired by the United States in much the same way that that a twenty dollar pair of ‘Armani’ shoes can be said to be inspired the genuine article. I will fight for the United States because I fight for ‘an idea, conceived in liberty’, and if we fail to call ‘our fellow Americans’ to return to the principals this Nation was founded upon, then, and only then, does hope begin to fade. All of this world’s current problems can be successfully overcome, the only question is, will humanity begin to work together to ensure the least amount of suffering and loss. The current par idem of competition echo’s the words of Cain when God asks him “where is Able thy brother?” and Cain replies “Am I my brother’s Keeper?” We should always be there to catch any who should fall, without attempting to coerce a specific system of belief, or habit of existence on our neighbors. To abandon our patriotic affection for this nation is to abandon the incredible values and ideas that our fathers have fought for, and thus allow those who would corrupt or pervert our Democracy to prevail. Not on my watch!

Religious Refugee's picture
Religious Refugee

The Thom Hartmann Program Newsletter Tuesday 21 January 2020

• Democracy Itself Is On Trial... Alexander Hamilton's Thoughts on Abuse of Power as Cause For Impeachment...
  • Democracy on Trial... Thom's Take & Your Calls Along w/LIVE coverage of the Senate Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump...