White House petition Voting holiday, please sign and pass along

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

I have posted a petition on White House.gov proposing that there be a national holiday for all national elections, and a tax incentive to all voters that turn out on national elections. Please sign my petition and pass the link along .

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/propose-federal-holiday-all-national-elections-and-offer-tax-incentive-voters/ZkpnvDBM

jpohlsc's picture
jpohlsc

Comments

I signed it, jpohisc, but then they said I'm to verify my online address via a message they're supposed to e-mail me, which I've not yet received.

Anyway this sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the petition; I hope more folks sign it too.

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland

A national holiday to vote? What a stupid idea.

Kilosqrd's picture
Kilosqrd

You're right kilo, it is a stupid idea. It should be at least a 4 day holiday with the polls open 24/4.

rs allen

Voting participation % by country in last election. The US had the lowest in 70 years at about 33%* I think. Look at the bar graph for the lowest and plot the US near there.

*33.24%

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Dump Columbus day, make elections on mondays, polls open sat and sun before [I like the 24 hours option rs] and until midnight on election day, plus mail in ballots like in CO.

Voting kiosks like ATMs could be ubiquitous, your voter ID is your social security number with a V following, like medicare ID is social secuty +M. Those voting ATMs could dispense a 5$ bill upon ballot completion and acceptance. That's not much to most, but the homeless might appreciate it.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

If Americans Die in a Pandemic - Blame the GOP

Thom plus logo As a possible pandemic looms on the horizon, the United States is the only developed nation in the world without a national healthcare system. Medicare For All is not just about saving as much as half of all of our half healthcare dollars, it's also about national security.