1984 by George Orwell, Audio book

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

5 posts / 0 new

1984 - Audio book by George Orwell from www.openculture.com

https://archive.org/details/George-Orwell-1984-Audio-book

This is a fantastic book and also very important.From what i have read,the movie was made to stop people from reading the book.The book has so much more information in it,than the movie.I find people who dislike this,just dont understand it,its warning and its message.This book is still very relevant especially that is was written in 1948,and explains systems of political control & oligarchical collectivism in great detail.If you interested propaganda,geopolitics,history,dystopian future wars ,than read this/listen rather than watch the movie.George Orwell was an genius!

demandside's picture
demandside

Comments

demandside: Thanks for that link! There are a lot of good things to download for free at archive.org videos, books, audio books, old TV clips, etc. I will surely download that 1984 audio book! Librivox has a lot of audio books as well.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Shamefully, I've never read 1984 in its entirety, nor Animal Farm. I did read Ode to Catalina, which was an excellent read about Orwell's own experience in the Spanish Civil War.

RichardofJeffersonCity's picture
RichardofJeffer...

I do find it ironic that a political forum populated by political collectivists, i.e. progressives, has a link to 1984 on it.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

1984 was anti-stalinist and today might apply to Isis:Orwell's vision was simply monstrous. Extrapolating from his experiences in Spain and from what he had learned in England of Soviet behavior, Orwell felt that a Communist system which attained world dominion and went to its logical limits might seek to destroy memory, the meaning of language, independent thought, individuality - everything that makes a human being a human being. The world would be populated with mindless robots.[/quote] Mindless robots destroying arts of antiquity, robots beheading innocents, mindless masses espousing fealty to a myth brings 1984 to 2014. A 2014 homage would be titled 2041 by Orwell's formula.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Trump's Lies Are Killing Us

Thom plus logo Donald Trump keeps insisting in his rallies, as he did last night, that he has lowered prescription drug prices, is protecting people with pre-existing conditions, and is improving Medicare. While everybody knows that he lies a lot, these are among the most pernicious lies.