Energy Storage.....Floating Solar, New Power Converters, Solar News!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

29 posts / 0 new

I ran across this article and wondered if any of you know about this and think it will work? Look down to other comments for new additions to this topic!

The biggest hurdle for renewable energy today is storage. How to store the excess unconsumed energy produced for use during intermittent disruptions or at night in the case of solar energy.

This is not only an issue for the renewable energy industry — the entire energy sector faces the same problem.

http://www.pvbuzz.com/a-flywheel-like-no-other-aims-to-solve-the-energy-storage-crisis/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Here is the link from above and this one should work.

http://www.pvbuzz.com/a-flywheel-like-no-other-aims-to-solve-the-energy-...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I read somewhere about a cave in Utah that they plan on filling with compressed air that would be used as energy during low wind times or at night. Also CA is building large battery banks.

Legend

compressed gas as a means of storage is pretty rotten idea me thinketh.

Large scale battery storage. Some are thinking not portable. Stationary kind of thing. Size of a large building kind of a battery. People are working on it. Hopefully it won't be anything like Li-ion battery. Cause it would be pretty bad if it caught on a fire.

Not much to add.

smilingcat

Compressed air not gas. I realize that air is a gas but compressed gas sounds much worse than compressed air. Actually it is very workable and has been used before.

Legend

Potential energy is potential energy. Storing it as compressed gas or weight at an elevation is still potential to do work. Converting it to work is why batteries are so practical as they are inherently electrical which is more often than not the way we use the energy. Of course making good use of it without even storing it is the best use of it so wasting less at all times is critical to not only dynamic usage, but any attempts at storage as well. Once you store it, it's stupid to squander it.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood

There is literally an endless supply of free energy being showered upon us every day by that lucky old sun lazing around in the sky all day.

Laborisgood's picture
Laborisgood
Quote Laborisgood:

There is literally an endless supply of free energy being showered upon us every day by that lucky old sun lazing around in the sky all day.

Yes I agree and here is a website link that is full of solar news headlines. We need to continue to support solar and ask our representives to do so also. We can all invest in solar projects too.

https://madmimi.com/p/e44226?fe=1&pact=29744286999

You can invest in solar projects at the link below.

https://joinmosaic.com/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I thought after what I posted in the reply above that I should also add this link for solar news.

http://www.pvbuzz.com/press-releases/nrg-renew-sunshare-celebrate-larges...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

You could also look the opposite direction for your powering needs. Solar cells only work when the sun is out, but geothermal energy works as long as the Earth is hot on the inside.

Go down about five miles, and the temperature is hot enough to make steam, which can turn a turbine for electricity, day and night.

No need for large-scale storage in that case. Just more affordable drilling methods.

ChicagoMatt
Quote ChicagoMatt:

You could also look the opposite direction for your powering needs. Solar cells only work when the sun is out, but geothermal energy works as long as the Earth is hot on the inside.

Go down about five miles, and the temperature is hot enough to make steam, which can turn a turbine for electricity, day and night.

No need for large-scale storage in that case. Just more affordable drilling methods.

That is an option for sure. I don't know enough about the process to have an opinion. I guess it's about time I start reading about it. Thanks.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

I am currently in a hotel in CA on business . Just some simple energy issues that Americans do not seem to try yet I have seen in many overseas countries. Overseas hotels will have a key for the room that to turn on the electricity in the room you have to be in the room. In other words when you are out of the room the AC is off and the lights are off. I have even seen hotels that have the lights in the hallways set on motion detectors. No lights in the middle of the night until someone is in the hallway. These are simple methods but I have never seen in the USA but have in other countries. Why are we so behind is simple saving of electricity which also saves water. Tons of office issues and home issues like this.

Legend
Quote Legend:

I am currently in a hotel in CA on business . Just some simple energy issues that Americans do not seem to try yet I have seen in many overseas countries. Overseas hotels will have a key for the room that to turn on the electricity in the room you have to be in the room. In other words when you are out of the room the AC is off and the lights are off. I have even seen hotels that have the lights in the hallways set on motion detectors. No lights in the middle of the night until someone is in the hallway. These are simple methods but I have never seen in the USA but have in other countries. Why are we so behind is simple saving of electricity which also saves water. Tons of office issues and home issues like this.

My only answer is that the people here are not used to NOT having power, water when they turn on the tap, heat, air conditioning or cold or hot food. You know what I mean. We have been gluteus and we have to change! It's a shame other countries are ahead of us with clean energy!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

It works so that when you walk into your room you put the room key into a switch which turns on the power to the room. Then you have AC, heat, tv and lights. Most people in the USA leave all of those on when out of the room.

Legend
Quote Legend:

It works so that when you walk into your room you put the room key into a switch which turns on the power to the room. Then you have AC, heat, tv and lights. Most people in the USA leave all of those on when out of the room.

That sounds pretty cool except for areas where it gets FREEZING cold. Wouldn''t that put the plumbing in danger of freezing up? I don't know I live in warm, drought stricken California.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

LOL MrsBJLee, don't you ever change.

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote stwo:

LOL MrsBJLee, don't you ever change.

Why should I? I'm happy with what I've got to work with! LOL....

I still think it's a pretty cool idea!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
That sounds pretty cool except for areas where it gets FREEZING cold. Wouldn''t that put the plumbing in danger of freezing up? I don't know I live in warm, drought stricken California.

Just 20 feet below ground, and the temperature is more-or-less a constant 55-degrees, no matter what's happening on the surface. I experience this first hand while touring Wind Cave in South Dakota. It was 95 degrees outside that day, and the tour guide told us to bring our jackets with us. He was right - it was chilly down there.

In the Austrailian Outback, it's not uncommon for homes to be underground, where it's cooler. The same principle could work in cold places too, where the underground temperatures would be warmer.

But it's only cool within a few hundred feet of the surface. Then it gets really warm, really quickly. So if you have an above-ground house that you want to heat, you could pump water in a loop a mile down to heat it up, then pump it back up to flow through your radiators.

Google "geothermal climate control", and you'll get lots of information on it.

Like solar panels and wind turbines, the up-front cost is huge. From what I can tell, I would need about $20,000 and a special permit to do it here in the middle of the city.

ChicagoMatt
Quote MrsBJLee:That sounds pretty cool except for areas where it gets FREEZING cold. Wouldn''t that put the plumbing in danger of freezing up? I don't know I live in warm, drought stricken California.
The hotel in a frigid environment would set the minimum ("off") room temperature above freezing.

stwo's picture
stwo

Well it sounds like a pretty good idea! Thanks for posting it!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Tesla's Powerwall home battery is a game changer. Especially in the sunny southwest. With solar panels being able to provide the electricity and the battery storing it for night use you could dissconnect from the grid. You could have a back up generator for cloudy times. Although I have a friend that still gets power even on cloudy days. You could pay off a system in a few years.

Legend

you could also use capacitors to store electrical energy but electrolytic capacitors can explode to do huge damage and i'm not sure if mylar or "chicklet" capacitors can explode

progressforever

As far as I can remember, mylar caps are not supercaps nor are they electrolytic so its capacity (capacitance) isn't very large. If you try to store too much energy remember Q/C=V Q is the stored charge; C is the value of capacitance in Farad and V is the terminal voltage, so that you too much Q and you will exceed the breakdown voltage of the insulator between the two "plates".

surface mount such as 1210 size or even 0201 size can explode. My techs managed to do so in the past. I take it that, that is what you mean by "chicklet" capacitors.

Lithium battery is still has the highest density electrical energy storage (practical usage).

It will be interesting to see Tesla's Powerwall. I don't think payback is only in few years though... I'm also concerned if the house catches on fire. And not necessarily that the battery started the fire. Will the area become a superfund site when the fully charged battery gets engulfed in a house inferno?

smilingcat

This is exciting news! Engineer researchers at the University of Arkansas has come up with a new energy converter that can take power from many different sources and easliy converts it as usuable for the grid!

http://www.pvbuzz.com/new-technology-converts-renewable-energy-for-use-i...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Check out what they have done in Japan! They covered a large section of a reservoir with solar panels! I think I will send this link to Gov Brown in CA.

http://www.pvbuzz.com/mega-floating-solar-power-plants-open-in-hyogo-pre...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Do take a moment and check out all of the latest solar news at the following link.

https://madmimi.com/p/105d26?fe=1&pact=30011682696

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Hi Mrs. B,

Interesting things people are doing. fun read. thanks.

smilingcat
Quote smilingcat:

Hi Mrs. B,

Interesting things people are doing. fun read. thanks.

Totally welcome! Glad to post it. Knowing that we are moving in the right direction gives me hope that we CAN stop the fossil fuel industry from completely destroying our planet for future generations. Remember when solar just got started. NOW LOOK AT IT GO!!!! I am so excited about all of the innovations and ideas out there! Woo hoo!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Another interesting article about Tesla's energy storage battery for the home & solar city together.

http://ecowatch.com/2015/05/05/elon-musk-tesla-battery-solarcity/?utm_so...

This is all so exciting to me!!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

"The Saddest Thing Is This Won't Be Breaking News"

Thom plus logo As the world burns, and more and more fossil fuels are being used every day planet-wide, atmospheric carbon dioxide levels passed 416 ppm this week at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii. In the 300,000 years since the emergence of modern humans, carbon dioxide levels have never been this high.