When Does Reposting Articles Become Political Spam?

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

24 posts / 0 new

It's one thing to post one's own thoughts. It's another to make post after post of cut & pasted articles written by other people.

Should there be some limit to this practice? I believe one member has gone too far with these cut & paste reposts. For instance from the last nine days...

Lies by Howard Katz 10-08-07
LysanderSpooner
Apr 15 2015 - 7:03am

What is Government? by (the late) Harry Browne updated
LysanderSpooner
Apr 14 2015 - 1:52pm

The Collapse of America by Howard S. Katz 10-29-07
LysanderSpooner
Apr 13 2015 - 7:58am

Letter to Andrew Rosenthal of the New York Times Re Monetary Expansion and the Stock Market by Howard Katz
LysanderSpooner
Apr 13 2015 - 8:06am

Fascism come to America by Ralph Raico
LysanderSpooner
Apr 12 2015 - 4:59am

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE ECONOMIC REPORTERS OF THE NATION by Howard S. Katz 12-24-07
LysanderSpooner
Apr 12 2015 - 6:46pm

When the Supreme Court Stopped Economic Fascism in America by Richard Ebeling updated
LysanderSpooner
Apr 8 2015 - 8:40am

From "Civil Rights" to Cultural Totalitarianism by William Norman Grigg
LysanderSpooner
Apr 7 2015 - 4:23am

If I’d Known You Were Coming, I Wouldn’t Have Baked a Cake by Lew Rockwell
LysanderSpooner
Apr 6 2015 - 12:01pm

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Comments

{Y-A-W-N)

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland
Quote Aliceinwonderland:

{Y-A-W-N)

Meaning?

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote ulTRAX:
Quote Aliceinwonderland:

{Y-A-W-N)

Meaning?

You're a whiner.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

When does accusing someone of evasion because they don't agree with you become spam?

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

Ultrax,

You don't read the articles anyway.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner
Quote LysanderSpooner:

When does accusing someone of evasion because they don't agree with you become spam?

What does disagreeing with you have to do with my OP? Try reading it again.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote LysanderSpooner:

What does disagreeing with you have to do with my OP? Try reading it again... especially this part

It's one thing to post one's own thoughts. It's another to make post after post of cut & pasted articles written by other people.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote LysanderSpooner:

Ultrax, You don't read the articles anyway.

There you go AGAIN being dishonest. How many times have I responded with post after post to your articles showing how they typically are intellectually dishonest?

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

I'm thinking two posts consisting of a copied article with no comments per day per user- amortized over 15 years at 6%

stwo's picture
stwo

Reply to #2: Don't worry Trax, that yawn was for Lysander not you.

Aliceinwonderland

Reply to #4: And you, Dex, are an asshole.

Aliceinwonderland

Why thank you acid Annie. As usual, your comments are stimulating and thoughtful.

I would agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

uLTRAX, the reason is obvious to those that have been counter-arguing the canned talking points of LysanderSpooner's Southern version of Libertarianism. You, along with Dr. Econ, douglasLee, BushWacker, and Polycarp have trounced the Libertarian pseudo politico-economic ideology so successfully that they have to conceal the written evidence behind a wall of title spam to conceal their embarrassing arguments, really bad history, lack of economic understanding, and absurd interpretation of the Constitution. Also, since we engaged these third rate Libertarian apologists the board has been hit with the same kind of “title spam.” I have been at this board for over 10 years and have seen the same pattern before when organized bloggers hit the board.

There is one new thing I learned is the past few months reading the Libertarian posts: it is how really bad American scholarship is on American history--especially from the American South. Whenever you see these words together, "Libertarian," "Reconstruction," "Civil War," "Constitution," and "American Revolution" get ready for a big load of Bullshit! This is why Americans know so little about American History: it's saturated with Southern cultural pseudo-history written by conservative think tanks, the John Birch Society, and the Right-Wing crazy base. The American University libraries are full of this historical garbage because of Southern bias and racist resentment. Only American scholarship on Marxism is worse.

What I would do is store all of our responses in one thread like “Is This The Core Libertarian Delusion?” (or some other thread) so that we can have all our collected counter-arguments in one location for reference. These Libertarians think tanks spend a lot of money spinning out their propaganda and when we construct counter-arguments that disseminate out to the internet to other forums it really shuts them down. We function as a de facto think tank ourselves, but our passion, sincerity, and commitment trumps their hourly wage.

I was at another progressive board at one time years ago and it had it’s group of trolls. The webmaster got rid of them and the board died out. These guys think that are hurting the discussion board, but they are actually helping it by supplying canned talking points that we can publicly defeat which is what they sorely fear, and it reveals how they think about these political and economic issues.

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist
Quote Antifascist:I was at another progressive board at one time years ago and it had it’s group of trolls. The webmaster got rid of them and the board died out. These guys think that are hurting the discussion board, but they are actually helping it by supplying canned talking points that we can publicly defeat which is what they sorely fear, and it reveals how they think about these political and economic issues.

I don't want LS banned. He's useful. I just detest his flooding the board with thoughts that are not his own just to monopolize the discussion around terms he wants.

Libertarian bullshit, like most propaganda, is somewhat well crafted containing a plethora of historical half-truths and logical errors. I've found it useful to debate him and in doing so I can't believe how disconnected from reality his visions of some libertarian paradise are.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote ulTRAX:

I don't want LS banned. He's useful. I just detest his flooding the board with thoughts that are not his own just to monopolize the discussion around terms he wants.

Libertarian bullshit, like most propaganda, is somewhat well crafted containing a plethora of historical half-truths and logical errors. I've found it useful to debate him and in doing so I can't believe how disconnected from reality his visions of some libertarian paradise are.

Do you mean flooding the board with stupid useless Libertarian threads like the ones YOU start?

A few examples from the last 60 days, all with YOU as the author.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/04/core-libertarian-delusion

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/another-laughable-libertarian-...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/why-did-todays-libertarians-go...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/would-de-facto-slavery-flouris...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/03/does-anyone-remember-any-intel...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2014/04/would-libertarian-society-even...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/has-our-resident-libertarian-e...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/03/libertarian-property-rights-vs...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2012/07/would-libertarians-have-create...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/how-would-libertarians-save-world

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/thought-experiment-which-worke...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/are-libertarians-intellectuall...

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/02/summing-what-have-we-learned-a...

Who is the real troll clown?

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote Dexterous:
Quote ulTRAX:

Do you mean flooding the board with stupid useless Libertarian threads like the ones YOU start?

Gee Einstein... I dare you to find ONE pro-libertarian thread in the mix... and what is it... 12 posts in 60 days somehow compares to 9 posts in 9 days? I'm sure it does to someone who doesn't know how to count.

I'm sorry you still have reading comprehension problems. What part of my OP are you having problems understanding... here's the title of this thread again

When Does Reposting Articles Become Political Spam?

And here's the key part of my OP AGAIN

So pray tell Einstein... how many of those posts you wasted your time collecting ARE MY POSTING OTHER PEOPLE'S ARTICLES????

Apology accepted.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Spooner has as much right to his opinion as you do.

Nobody is forcing you to constantly reply to his posts.

Stop your whining about others and, as mom would say, tend to your own knitting.

Calling you an idiot would be a disservice to idiots.

BTW, the " Gee Einstein" shit is getting very old.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote ignoring the rebuttal to his last foolish argument, Dexterous moves on to make his next foolish argument:

Spooner has as much right to his opinion as you do.

Where have I said otherwise? READ MY FIRST POST AGAIN

Gee Brainiac... only you would claim that reposting articles WRITTEN BY OTHERS... represents LS's opinion. Are you suggesting he has some mental handicap and the only way he can express himself is to repeatedly C&P and post propaganda from his libtard sites?

Yours are the kind of nonsensical posts that are made by someone who's looking for any reason to bitch...

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote ulTRAX:

READ MY FIRST POST AGAIN

I have to admit, that I hardly read it the first time. I consider you to be a trollish little bedwetter that has to have his way every time, so I actually try to ignore what you write as much as possible.

Complaining to moderators about things that are not your business seems to make you feel important.

Have at it.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

9 posts + 12 posts, I bet Dex CAN count to 21 if he takes his socks off and unzips his pants.

We had a poster here years ago, antifacist do you remeber Kate? She used to aggregate related threads into one, aka an aggregation. LS might fear that because the collection could be then deemed a collective. A Galtist posture is a unilateral one, every man his own island, or onliest, or per se. Not every article needs it's own thread, an umbrella title could cover similar links, then become a depository like a recycle bin, or landfill, or septic tank. Some of anti's are more vaults or libraries, ren's and Zenzoe's too.

Now LS, you are privy to all the sources and info, and I'm not one to tell you how to post your stuff, it's your privy.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

I would be for a policy of allowing numbers, but not to quote another's text. You can always link something if they want.

Dr. Econ's picture
Dr. Econ
Quote Dexterous:
Quote ulTRAX:

READ MY FIRST POST AGAIN

I have to admit, that I hardly read it the first time. I consider you to be a trollish little bedwetter that has to have his way every time, so I actually try to ignore what you write as much as possible.

And it's not trollish to NOT read a post, and just make ignorant and rash accusations? But then that's why we love you so. You make it easy to prove right wingers aren't that bright.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Copying and pasting copyright material is against the terms and conditions - a small quote for fair use only is allowed. Personal attacks against fellow chatters are also against the rules.

Please keep it legal and civil, folks.

SueN's picture
SueN

Trump's Lies Are Killing Us

Thom plus logo Donald Trump keeps insisting in his rallies, as he did last night, that he has lowered prescription drug prices, is protecting people with pre-existing conditions, and is improving Medicare. While everybody knows that he lies a lot, these are among the most pernicious lies.