10 charming words for nasty people

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

8 posts / 0 new

10-charming-words-for-nasty-people/

"A knave, a rascal, an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy worsted-stocking knave ..." – William Shakespeare, King Lear, 1605-6

"A pro-Romney political action committee, Restore Our Future, spent more than $4 million ensuring that Iowans couldn't watch 10 minutes of television without being assaulted by an ad explaining why Gingrich was a scoundrel, a knave, a hack, a goon or – shudder – a closet liberal." – Eugene Robinson, The Washington Post, January 4, 2012

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

"The devil fetch ye, ye ragamuffin rapscallions; ye are all asleep. Stop snoring, ye sleepers, and pull." – Herman Melville, Moby Dick, 1851

"In his personal life [Christopher Hitchens] was no less the 'rapscallion iconoclast,' as historian Douglas Brinkley once described him. He left his pregnant first wife for another woman." – Elaine Woo, Los Angeles Times, December 15, 2011

About the Word:

There are no scallions in rapscallion. Rapscallion is an alteration of rascallion, which is itself an irregular formation of rascal, a term born in an Old French dialect word meaning "to scrape, clean off.

Like from the bottom of your shoe? A verb became a noun is the reverse of the usual noun to verb transition. to Google, and in the UK to Hoover (vacuum), 'I was hoovering' is a phrase I heard when I lived in London. Sounds funny to me. "Rascal yourself before you come in this house" hmm Rascal that smirk rather than wipe that smirk? A rascal is one that never rascalled? Which was first, verb or noun, for shit? Jerk is both too.

I have used this one before:

"She was den mother to the city's pale-skinned night crawlers, punks, dudes pushing faux decadence and your garden-variety reprobate, and she has done it in style, with a swagger that can only be earned from experience." – Brett Callwood, Detroit Metro Times, January 11, 2012

About the Word:

Reprobate comes from the Latin reprobare, meaning "to disapprove" or "to condemn." The word is frequently used in the King James Version of the Bible to describe someone who understands God's will but chooses to not follow it.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Another verb to noun:

"British director Guy Ritchie took Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes out of mothballs in 2009, giving him a sarcastic and kinetic update with the help of lovable scamp Robert Downey Jr." – Matthew Odam, Austin American-Statesman, December 16, 2011

About the Word:

Scamp once functioned as a verb meaning "to roam about idly" (think scamper). The noun we've featured here appeared later, and has a more playful overtone than some other words on this list

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

French word for fox fan or tea partier:

Gobemouche

Definition:

a credulous person; especially : one who believes everything he or she hears

Examples:

"The Gobemouche abounds in clubs, coffee-houses, Capel Courts, Bellamy's, and all old women's tea-parties." – Punch, or the London Charivari, 1857

Gobemouche is evidence that certain unpleasant things, when cloaked in the veneer of French, can sound rather pleasant.

About the Word:

The word rolls off the tongue easily, and sounds quite lovely; however, if we look at the etymology it more or less translates to "fly gulper" (from the French gober, meaning "to swallow whole", and mouche, meaning "fly")

howjusay.com=gobemouche

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Climate change deniers are:

Mumpsimus

Definition:

a bigoted adherent to exposed but customary error

Examples:

"A tough carrion, she draws like a Whirl-pool, and would kill a Man as easily as a Cat sucks the breath of a Child: Go thy ways old Mumpsimus, the mark's in thy mouth still." – Thomas Duffett, Psyche Debauch'd, 1678

About the Word:

The ostensible origin of mumpsimus is that long ago there was an illiterate priest who was in the habit of using this word when saying mass, rather than the correct Latin word sumpsimus (which means "we have taken"). When confronted with this error, the priest was reported to have said that he refused to change his old mumpsimus for the new sumpsimus offered by his critic.

W was a mumpsimus "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice (mumpsimus cannot be self deprecating) I won't get fooled again" Because there is never shame on me.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

The average Fox host is a

Choplogic

Definition:

an absurdly argumentative person

Examples:

"Whats here, chop logicke." – William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 1597

Choplogic has two meanings, and can refer to either "involved and often specious argumentation" or the kind of person who engages in such behavior.

About the Word:

The word was formed by a combination of logic and an obsolete sense of chop meaning "to bandy words, answer back."

You should be warned that knowing what to call such a person will in no way alleviate your displeasure should you have to deal with one.

Fox's whole format is based on choplogic, so hiring choplogics makes sense.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

The average republican is a:

Purse-leech

Definition:

one that is excessively greedy for money

Examples:

"I melt in tears to see the Rebels reign In Court and City with their hungry train, That like Purse-Leeches in the Lawyers Inn, Sucks others Wealth, to enrich their begging Kin." – G.P., Englands Murthering Monsters, 1660

About the Word:

If you ever find yourself being described with a word that contains "leech" in it, chances are very high that you are not being complimented. One of the things that is enjoyable about a word such as purse-leech is that while it is archaic and obscure, it is also very simple to understand, and requires no additional explanation.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

In a separate section of words and original meaning:

Secretary

Original Definition:

one entrusted with the secrets or confidences of a superior

Example:

"She writ to him discreetly the thoughts of her friend, leting him understand that she was the secretary; that she would serve him in all honest things he could desire." – Francisco de Quintana, The History of Don Fenise, 1651

About the Word:

Many other words that have been formed through the addition of -ary (which comes from the Latin root -arius, meaning 'from') have managed to keep their roots and suffixes neatly tied together: beneficiary, constabulary, and planetary.

So it seems rather obvious, when looking at a word such as secretary, that its original meaning had something to do with secrets. Yet somewhere along the way the word slipped free of its moorings and took on a not terribly secret meaning.

So 'ary' as a suffix could mean the GOP is the moronary party, or imbecilary, ignorantary, assholary, stubbornary, constipatary, the choices are many.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

What Do Democrats Really Want?

Thom plus logo Thomas Friedman, the confused billionaire, told us decades ago that "free trade" is what made the Lexus a successful product when, in fact, it was decades of Japanese government subsidies and explicit tariffs that did so.