Happening NOW! Kayaks in the Water! CAN'T SPILL if we DON'T DRILL!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

12 posts / 0 new

The images of the kayak protests in Seattle are amazing! So many people out there trying to stop Shell from drilling in the arctic region. I thought you might like to see some of the images.

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/en/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

How quaint, all those petroleum based kayaks protesting petroleum.

stwo's picture
stwo

Quaint? Gee how dismissive.

Good work, kayaktivists! Give 'em hell!

Aliceinwonderland's picture
Aliceinwonderland

That freaking rig is HUGE! How brave the kayaktivists are!

I heard just now on the news that the rig is at Puget Sound and there were kayaktivists waiting for them there too!

Shell made the statement that they are looking forward to exploring their leases. CREEPS! JERKS! ECO-MONSTERS! BASTARDS!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

(stwo):
"How quaint, all those petroleum based kayaks protesting petroleum."

You're kinda quaint yourself, stwo ... the use of petroproducts to protest petroproducers is ironic indeed.

Actually, I saw some traditional dugout canoes. I trust first nations were there to represent _all_ nations.

By the way, you seem to be acquainted with the facts ... can you help clarify what difference, if any exists between the major oil interests?

I wonder if blind protest against fossil fuels/oil exploration obscures clear perception of actual dynamics unfolding in the field.

For instance, who really is represented by Shell Oil or BP or Standard Chevron, or whatever the handfull of major players are?

Do they all represent the same interests, or do they serve different interest groups?

Is it possible, as the heavenly wars unwind, of all these behemoth entities, Royal Dutch Shell might be one of the "good guys"?

k. allen's picture
k. allen
Quote MrsBJLee:

That freaking rig is HUGE! How brave the kayaktivists are!

I heard just now on the news that the rig is at Puget Sound and there were kayaktivists waiting for them there too!

Shell made the statement that they are looking forward to exploring their leases. CREEPS! JERKS! ECO-MONSTERS! BASTARDS!

what would you do if the "shift" key on your keyboard broke?

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

NOt sure I understand the question K. Basically, the interests the big oil companies serve are those of their shareholders. Then within the companies themsleves I assume the employees from CEO on down are all self interested.

I'm not keyed into the petroleum biz other than cleaning up their messes. I've been a hydrogeologist in the environmental clean up biz for the past 30 years. Was only in the Petro exploration biz for a couple years way back when first out of school.

stwo's picture
stwo

Shell helps pay for the bill to clean up the enviromental pullution the protesters left...The irony.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2774322/Shell-foots-bill-to-clean-up-Seattle-p...

gumball's picture
gumball

"Obviously, if Shell wasn't in the area, the activists wouldn't be in the area, and none of this would have happened."

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote stwo:

"Obviously, if Shell wasn't in the area, the activists wouldn't be in the area, and none of this would have happened."

It is always someone else to blame.....

gumball's picture
gumball

Hey there stwo, thanks for the sincere response. Your assessment sounds about right to me:

"Basically, the interests the big oil companies serve are those of their shareholders. Then within the companies themsleves I assume the employees from CEO on down are all self interested."

The question for me, beyond that, would be what cultural interests are represented by those shareholder groups - between the major companies in play?

Are they culturally/nationally identified as separate, even opposing interests? Or do they combine, as 'multinationals', and coalesce as one big 'family'?

So ... you get to clean up the mess?! Wow ... no problem with lack of work opportunity there, I would guess.

When the BP crisis happened in the Gulf, I realized, for the first time, just how many oil wells are drilling in those waters.

I couldn't believe it. What compels this excess of ours?

Where is the sensitivity ... awareness of impact and consequence in what we do?

Why must wee people resort to such ruinous means to secure our dreams of freedom ... ((for whom)) ...?

... at what cost ...

Peace, stwo ... and thanks 2you for helping to clean up the mess!!

k. allen's picture
k. allen
So ... you get to clean up the mess?! Wow ... no problem with lack of work opportunity there, I would guess.

The 80s was a time of cleaning up all kinds of love canal type dumping grounds and contaminant plumes. LOTS of work. Then in the 90s it turned to underground storage tanks- lots of funding, lots of work.

Now its nearly all environmental site assessments for due diligence related to loans for commercial property transactions and spill response like the Enbridge spill in the Kalamazoo river.

stwo's picture
stwo

Trump and His Billionaire Buddies Plot to Destroy Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid

Thom plus logo Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are officially in the crosshairs of the Trump administration, and they intend to go after them this year.