Oil trains Protest.....July 6-12.....see if there is an event near you.

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

12 posts / 0 new

I just thought I should post this link so if anyone here is interested in getting off their seat and going out for a protest that might be in your area.

Join the Stop Oil Trains Week of Action: July 6 – 12

July 6 is the second anniversary of the tragic Lac-Mégantic, Quebec, oil train catastrophe that killed 47 people. The Stop Oil Trains week of action will call attention to the growing threat of oil trains across North America.

There is NO safe way to transport extreme tar sands and Bakken crude. Two years after Lac-Mégantic, oil trains keep exploding and carbon pollution keeps rising. Oil trains are a disaster for our health, our safety, and our climate.

In July 2014, thousands gathered at 63 events for the first Stop Oil Trains Week of Action. In 2015, we will demonstrate the growing power of our movement and organize more than 100 events across the US and Canada to demand an immediate ban on oil trains.

Join us and host or attend an event in your community!

https://actionnetwork.org/event_campaigns/stop-oil-trains-week-of-action-2015?zipcode=&country=US&referrer=environmental-action

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Here is the same above link only this one will work.

https://actionnetwork.org/event_campaigns/stop-oil-trains-week-of-action...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

All we have to do is build more pipelines, that will solve this problem right away.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2
Quote Mauiman2:

All we have to do is build more pipelines, that will solve this problem right away.

Of course you had to go there. I would have been surprised if you hadn't.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote MrsBJLee:
Quote Mauiman2:

Of course you had to go there. I would have been surprised if you hadn't.

So what is your solution? And leaving the oil in the ground is not a solution, sorry.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2

Yes we do need SOME oil but not as much as we are taking out of the earth. Because of our gluteus ways and greed, we continue to try and suck every drop out from where ever it may be all the while we are killing our whales and dolphins with loud underwater sonar so we can find the oil and spilling it into our oceans, and in so many other places. We keep polluting our air as we refine it, pipelines burst ( just had one dump over 100.000 gallons and they only recovered 14,000. It fouled up a long stretch of the California coastline. If we don't drill we won't spill. We can't continue to do this!

We have to find alternatives.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote MrsBJLee:

Yes we do need SOME oil but not as much as we are taking out of the earth. Because of our gluteus ways and greed, we continue to try and suck every drop out from where ever it may be all the while we are killing our whales and dolphins with loud underwater sonar so we can find the oil and spilling it into our oceans, and in so many other places. We keep polluting our air as we refine it, pipelines burst ( just had one dump over 100.000 gallons and they only recovered 14,000. It fouled up a long stretch of the California coastline. If we don't drill we won't spill. We can't continue to do this!

We have to find alternatives.

All you have to do is figure out how to move large vehicles, trains, airplanes, ships etc with batteries. Once you can do that, then all you have todo is generate all the electricity it would take to charge up those batteries.

No small feat, either one of the above.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2

Every gallon that you save is less to be spilled and pollute the air. Mrs. Lee is not talking about stopping all production. But we are exporting oil and building LNG plants to export natural gas. A proven oil field is a large tank with a little more difficulty in extracting it. Leave it in the ground for future use rather than export it.

A train track near my home transports a lot of coal to a few power plants to the south of me. Each car weighs 248000 pounds with 200000 pounds of coal in each one. Trains are about 100 cars long. 24 trains per day. Each solar panel or windmill that can reduce that is fine by me. Just the 48000 pounds of empty car returning to the mines is a lot of wasted energy.

Legend
Quote Legend:

Every gallon that you save is less to be spilled and pollute the air. Mrs. Lee is not talking about stopping all production. But we are exporting oil and building LNG plants to export natural gas. A proven oil field is a large tank with a little more difficulty in extracting it. Leave it in the ground for future use rather than export it.

A train track near my home transports a lot of coal to a few power plants to the south of me. Each car weighs 248000 pounds with 200000 pounds of coal in each one. Trains are about 100 cars long. 24 trains per day. Each solar panel or windmill that can reduce that is fine by me. Just the 48000 pounds of empty car returning to the mines is a lot of wasted energy.

Just to note it is illegal to export crude oil from the US. That is not happening.

Yes, LNG is another story. And the gulf coast refineries are exporting gasoline.

But no crude oil.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2
Quote Mauiman2:
Quote Legend:

Just to note it is illegal to export crude oil from the US. That is not happening.

Yes, LNG is another story. And the gulf coast refineries are exporting gasoline.

And also realize that there was a whole bunch of natural gas being flared in North Dakota. A byproduct of the process of drilling for oil, the producers had no where to go with the gas that came with the oil, so they just burned it. And I am talking about a whole lot of gas, a whole lot. I'm not sure if that is still the case right now, but I'm not sure that exporting LNG really hurts anything when you are probably flaring as much gas as you are exporting.

But no crude oil exports from the US, none at all.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2

We are one of the largest exporters of refined petroleum, They are also using a loophole to export barely refined petroleum.

Legend
Quote Legend:

We are one of the largest exporters of refined petroleum, They are also using a loophole to export barely refined petroleum.

Yes it is true that only crude oil cannot be exported. Finished products, LNG, and condensate (which actually very light crude oil) can be exported. I haven't looked at the numbers lately, but I'll bet we are exporting a lot of gasoline since the oil produced here in the US is high in gasoline content, so the refiners end up making more gasoline than what they can sell here in the US.

Diesel is a different story. Every refiner in the country is making max diesel right now and I doubt if we are exporting much (or any) diesel.

Mauiman2's picture
Mauiman2

If Americans Die in a Pandemic - Blame the GOP

Thom plus logo As a possible pandemic looms on the horizon, the United States is the only developed nation in the world without a national healthcare system. Medicare For All is not just about saving as much as half of all of our half healthcare dollars, it's also about national security.