Thankful that nobody was shot or killed in McKinney? Relieved and surprised, yes!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

25 posts / 0 new

When nobody got shot last week by the pool in McKinney, Texas, why do people say they are thankful? Figure of speech?

The faces of those who said "thankful" showed shock, fear, relief and love of life.

But not losing or maiming an innocent life is not a favor that deserves thanks.

I am timidly thankful that the pool party began enjoyably. And deeply hopeful that the emotions of those present will eventually heal enough to perhaps enjoy a complete pool party in the future.

My gratitude goes to the friends who tried to intervene and even to the officers that stopped the wanton monster with the gun. And most thankful that the brutal psychopath will never again be enabled by a police uniform.

human's picture
human

Comments

This is what I read that some of the residents, and people who investigated the incident, had said:

Over a hundred teens, black and white, showed up at that "pool" party because the organizers, a black woman and her daughter who lived there Tweeted out the invitation for a "free" "pool" party. That mother and daughter were in the business of organizing events for profit. They failed to get permission, as spelled out in the Homeowner's Association agreements that said no more than 20 guests were allowed to be in that pool party. They were also supposed to pay a $175 refundable deposit (in case anyone did damage) and pay a rental fee of $50 which they didn't do.

They hired a DJ who set up his equipment in the park right next to the pool. The residents complained of very loud "music" that used the F_K word repeatedly and complained of a very large, noisy, rude, and unruly crowd that were yelling racist names and epithets at the residents. The teens, couldn't get through the pool gate, so they climbed over the fence into the pool area. They even attacked a mother and her 3 young children. The teens had thrown bottles at the resident's parked cars. The days after the pool party, more cars were vandalized and things were stolen from them. Resident's doors were kicked in and they even got death threats for having spoken out about what actually happened.

None of this stuff was widely used in the news about the event. The only thing the media falsely conveyed was that it was an exclusively white community that had a snit about a few black teens who had been invited to a pool party. And if the only thing you knew about it was the brief video you saw when that policeman had put that disrespectful screaming teen on the ground then went after the guy that was approaching in a threatening manner, you'd get the impression that there weren't that many teens at that party. The party wasn't in the street or on the sidewalk or near the sidewalk (as shown in the video) it was in the park over by the pool. And when the cops got there, I'm sure many had already left.

As per what that black man, Ron Christie, said on the Bill Maher show last night...and I paraphrase: "Parents should instruct their children to just say 'no, sir', 'yes, sir', and 'ok, sir' when accosted by the police. Don't antagonize them!" And that should be drilled into everyone's thick numbskulls! Don't be stupid by escalating a problem with the police; don't argue with them, don't yell at them! Show "respect"...even if you don't respect them...fake it, and you might avoid a very bad situation. Get physical with a cop and they will get even more physical with you. That's part of their job... to control unruly people.

How would any of you residents of your community like it if this had happened to you? I don't think you would like it! This wasn't about racism, like the news media, and some people, try to make it out to be. It was a civil disturbance by over 100 teens of both races perpetrated on a mixed race community. It was also about a couple of residents trying to make money by breaking the HOA rules, that I assume they had to sign when they moved there, by not paying the fees and ending up with way more than 20 guests. The event was advertized as "free"... but they were handing out leaflet ads for another event that would cost the teens $15 each to attend. Why should the peaceful residents have to suffer so that the organizers can conduct a business enterprise while cheating the HOA out of the fees they should have paid? Shouldn't the "organizers" of that "pool" party be held accountable? Shouldn't the major news media be held accountable for reporting the real news...like what really happened?

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Here's an account of what happened from one of the residents who told it on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/MCQuattrin/posts/10153334459553361

Michael Quattrin
June 7 at 7:27pm · Edited ·

Facebook friends and family – PLEASE HELP! That (now viral) video of the officer in McKinney subduing a girl in a bathing suit was in OUR neighborhood. The situation was NOT what is being reported…

A DJ setup in a public space next to the private pool in our neighborhood on Friday and played loud explicit (F-bomb) music for multiple hours (it is unclear if he was invited by a resident as no one has claimed responsibility). The teenagers (both black and white) were being brought into our neighborhood by the carload because the DJ was tweeting out invites to a “pool party” for $15 (obviously unauthorized by our neighborhood). The teens began fighting with each other and pushing their way into our private pool. Some were jumping our fence. The security guard was accosted when he tried to stop the beginnings of this mob scene. Some residents who live around the park/pool area tried to come out and settle things down. The teens started yelling racial slurs at our neighbors and started assaulting people and property (throwing bottles at cars and attacking a mother at the pool with 3 young children). The first officer on the scene was by himself. At that time, the party had grown to a large, aggressive crowd. As the officer arrived, many teens started running through our neighborhood. Many of the teens were being very aggressive and yelling at the officers as more arrived.

This was a very dangerous situation for the officers AND the teens/residents not involved. The news media has refused to hear the neighborhood’s side of this story. The video being distributed is only a very small segment of what happened. This information being distributed by the media and others is extremely distorted and in some cases outright lies.

PLEASE HELP US STOP THE BROADCASTING OF THIS IGNORANCE. The media is trying to make it look like our neighborhood is a white’s only, racist area. Anyone who has spent even a few minutes in our area knows this is an outright LIE.

The unfortunate result is that our neighbors are now being threatened. We have also had cars and property in and around the park area vandalized this weekend. Unfortunately, the press and social media are trying to enflame the situation.

I am asking for your help for my family and my neighbor’s safety…PLEASE, PLEASE do not rebroadcast any of these lies.
--------

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

After watching the video, I felt the officer was justified in drawing his gun; he was rushed from the side by two men....unfortunately he overreacted in throwing the teenage girl around and down on the ground. But other witnesses said she was mouthing off at him. I don't know why the press is downplaying the fact she was antagonizing the officer, for no other reason than to impress onto kids that it's generally a bad idea. Kids disrespecting adults are always asking for trouble, adult authority figures, more trouble and adult law enforcement officers, even more trouble. Again the response was a bit over the top, but keep mouthing off to cops, bad things may happen depending on the situation. The coverage on this incident is way overblown on the side of the unruly and unlawful teens. The left is really starting to p*ss me off on this hate-the-cops meme.

This black mom has it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtxeKuSFpaE

al3's picture
al3

Thank you for the additional information, Palindromedary, and I agree that the whole story has not been told nor spread sufficiently.

My original post was meant to be philosophical about how we express our feelings, not a cheap shot at your neighborhood.

Thank you also for helping me ponder how monetary enterprise combined with social media can produce unintended flash mobs.

But I still have nothing positive to say about that crazed ex-officer, whose attorney portrayed the standard mealy-mouthed apology to only those who were offended.

I know a deputy sheriff who was earlier trained in the army's Special Forces as a parachuting sniper and has a few notches on his rifle. This dinger has shown me photos of operations in a country he isn't allowed to specify. We once went tree climbing and he pointed out a house a quarter mile distant where he could hit a target. But he would never do what we saw in the video.

And once I was pulled over for a dead headlight. When the officer saw my name she melted and related her high-school crush on my brother. She would've issued a ticket regardless, hadn't I shown her the new headlight bought earlier the same day.

Most officers are indeed real persons, real good persons.

human's picture
human

With almost everyone having a cell phone and most cell phones having cameras the filing of incidents like this will keep happening. The police moved in in a hostile manner. They should be a calming force but immediately started throwing kids around. The force on the 14 year old was ridiculous. Come on this was a pool party not a riot. The police department has admitted that they were wrong. The policeman resigned because (and he admitted) he was wrong. How many white kids were thrown around. Do not blame the reporting when the police are saying they were wrong.

Legend
Quote Legend:Do not blame the reporting when the police are saying they were wrong.
They were wrong. The force was excessive. My only problem is there's no conversation about this young 14 year old mouthing off at the cop, as some witnesses indicated. My point is the media (which is truly the "liberal" media for the one-sided reporting in this case) is doing everyone, especially kids, a disservice not at least mentioning that. For no other reason than to send the message to kids that it is generally not a good idea to mouth off, or otherwise question cops in a pressure filled, cacophonous (sp) situation. Do it enough, and a bad day will be had. Guaranteed.

al3's picture
al3

And it's been also reported that the altercation began because the child only wanted to retrieve her bag laying on the ground behind the pig and he wouldn't let her, only then did it escalate to 'mouthing off'. BECAUSE she had done nothing wrong but was being wronged very arbitrarily.

rs allen
Quote human:

And once I was pulled over for a dead headlight. When the officer saw my name she melted and related her high-school crush on my brother. She would've issued a ticket regardless, hadn't I shown her the new headlight bought earlier the same day.

I once passed a pokey old lady on a winding road, at an intersection. Ignored the double yellow line and the intersection. I was in a hurry. Stupid move. I did not know there was a state trooper station right at that intersection. At the exact moment I was passing the old lady's 1972 4 door Caddy, a trooper was pulling out of the parking lot. I knew I was toast. I immediately pulled over, before the trooper even turned onto the road or turned on his light. He never turned on his light but indeed pull up behind me, very rapidly, and he was hot. H-O-T. He was screaming, veins bulging, spittle flying. "What the **** do you think you were doing back there! " etc. etc. etc. I knew I was toast, so I basically grovelled. I admitted fault, admitted I was stupid, apologized, admitted how stupid and dangerous I was, etc. etc. etc. All very politely. It must have worked, because I got off with a warning. I also always thought pulling over right away helped as it signifies kind of a surrender. I couldn't believe it, it was like going from 100 to 0.

al3's picture
al3
Quote rs allen:

And it's been also reported that the altercation began because the child only wanted to retrieve her bag laying on the ground behind the pig and he wouldn't let her, only then did it escalate to 'mouthing off'. BECAUSE she had done nothing wrong but was being wronged very arbitrarily.

Sorry rsallen, we'll disagree here. In a situation like that, the cop is the boss. If he does not want you to retrieve your bag, it's best to accept it, until control and calm is restored. The last thing that cop needed, in that chaotic situation, was for some 14 year old challenging him.

The cop DID overreact here. My belief is part of the job of the cop is to be calm in the midst of chaos. In this case the officer did not remain calm. I also am aware of the history between the cops and black people, but that, to me (disclosure: clueless white person) still should be no excuse of antagonizing a cop. That always will be a losing proposition.

al3's picture
al3

So Al3, when in your mind should enough be enough? Just how far should it take? When all blacks just lay face down on the pavement at the sight a PIG?

Because if you were black that little stunt you pulled passing the old lady that's exactly where you would've ended up, face down on the pavement. And if you'd been driving too nice of a car you may well have ended up on the pavement anyways even if you hadn't broken any laws other than driving while black.

So when is enough enough?

rs allen

And as an addendum how willing would you be to leave your bag behind that had your clothes and more importantly your cell phone in it? Especially since you'd done nothing wrong.

rs allen

This is the location where the cop had the girl on the ground.
33° 9'20.33"N 96°43'13.36"W

Quote candysdirt.com:From what I have gathered talking to a few neighbors and Realtors who live and sell at Craig Ranch, Tatania Rhodes and her mother (and possibly her sister) all live in Craig Ranch North, a segment of about 1000 homes built by D.R. Horton around 2004. The homes average about $230,000 to $260,000, sized around 2500 square feet. About 20% of the homes at Craig Ranch North are rentals, including the home Tatania and her mother live in on Lonesome Spur Trail. Their home is 2547 square feet on .12 of a acre with a 2 car garage. There is no pool at the 4 bedroom, two and a half bath house, but access to a community pool managed and maintained by the HOA. Each resident is allowed to bring in 2 guests to swim at the pool. The rent is $1620. a month. The neighborhood is culturally diverse, and it’s one of the more affordable communities in McKinney.

http://candysdirt.com/2015/06/09/craig-ranch-north-home-tatania-rhodes-m...

Tatiana's nickname is KC which stands for "Keef_Cakez" and she's a 19 or 20 year old model and there are a number of photos of her on the internet.

http://www.everyjoe.com/2015/06/08/news/keef-cakez-photos-young-kc-mckin...

They live on a street about 4 blocks from the pool.
Lonesome Spur & camel mountain ( 33° 9'30.66"N 96°43'14.21"W ) 4 blocks north of the pool. It's not hard to find out exactly where they live on that street... that street is only about 4 blocks long with about 80-100 houses. It's kind of funny because Google Earth Street View has blurred out the address of that house and tried to blur out the one next to it. The one on the other side is clearly visible. But, the one on the other side, if you look at it at different angles you can see that the next door house is a number that would logically be ne next number to the house in question. All the other houses on that street are plainly visible, and one of them is the address that is easily found if you do a search on the names that have been shown on various blogs on the internet. I am not going to say the address, though.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

It wasn't "just a pool party". It was not approved by the HOA admin and they didn't pay the fees and they had way more than 20 people. The HOA says that the residents can have 2 guests without the fees. Some of those "teens" weren't even teens but young adults and some of the crowd were smoking weed and drinking not to mention being extremely rude and threatening to the other residents. Not to mention being very loud with music that used the F_ word. Fights had broken out and they jumped over the fence into the pool area and frightened a mother and her 3 children. When she objected to their rowdiness she asked them to keep it down because they were scaring her young children and they flipped her the bird. The teens were calling some residents racist names. Bottles were thrown at cars and caused damage. I wouldn't call this just a "pool party". It was a civil disturbance and was trespassing.

This is not the first time this kind of thing has happened around the country. Youth have been Tweeted to attend functions that were illegal and they have created a great deal of problems for people who just want to live in peace.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

I also think that the cop overreacted. And what the heck was that stupid summersault he did when he was running toward the scene? That was kind of comical. If that young girl had been one of those huge screaming mamas that have a predisposition to getting physical with cops then I could see the cop responding in kind.

But this was a rather frail little girl...even though she might have been totally disrepectful and screaming like a banshee. But, these disrespectful kids (and adults) have to get it through their thick heads that you are being really stupid to challenge cops like that.

The cops have to keep law and order. And you can't always keep law and order when people don't respect your authority. And they are up against a very big problem, right now, where large groups of people are just looking for ways of causing trouble.

Cops sometimes have no other alternative but to get physical. If you want pussified cops out there too afraid to use physical force against, sometimes, very dangerous criminals then you can forget about having an effective police force to protect the law abiding citizens against the criminals who would just run all over us. Obviously, of course, this girl was not a dangerous criminal. On the other hand, did the cop hurt her all that much? Did she have to go to the hospital for some bad injury? Or, did it just hurt her little feelings?

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary
Quote Palindromedary:It wasn't "just a pool party". It was not approved by the HOA admin and they didn't pay the fees and they had way more than 20 people. The HOA says that the residents can have 2 guests without the fees. Some of those "teens" weren't even teens but young adults and some of the crowd were smoking weed and drinking not to mention being extremely rude and threatening to the other residents. Not to mention being very loud with music that used the F_ word. Fights had broken out and they jumped over the fence into the pool area and frightened a mother and her 3 children. When she objected to their rowdiness she asked them to keep it down because they were scaring her young children and they flipped her the bird. The teens were calling some residents racist names. Bottles were thrown at cars and caused damage. I wouldn't call this just a "pool party". It was a civil disturbance and was trespassing. This is not the first time this kind of thing has happened around the country. Youth have been Tweeted to attend functions that were illegal and they have created a great deal of problems for people who just want to live in peace.

First of all the breaking HOA rules is between the HOA and thee individual. Not the police and the individual. Do you have factual proof of any of your allegations or just hearsay. Have individuals exagerated their claims to justify calling the police? Have you heard testimony from the blacks? You seen positively against them.

Legend

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2015/06/10/the-mcki...

Legend
Quote legend:First of all the breaking HOA rules is between the HOA and thee individual. Not the police and the individual.

The police were not called because the organizers broke HOA rules and failure to pay the fees. They were called because the teens were being loud and abusive and causing property damage by throwing bottles at the resident's parked cars. They were hopping over the pool fence and scaring and being offensive to a mother and 3 young children. The teens were using racially offensive names against the residents.

The mention of the failure to pay the HOA fees and that the organizers were running a business... and had nothing to do with "inviting a few friends"... was to show how the residents were being cheated, used and abused. The residents all have to follow the rules and pay the fees but the organizers thought they could get away with not paying the fees... and exceeding the 20 person limit... just so they can make money!

Quote legend:Do you have factual proof of any of your allegations or just hearsay. Have individuals exagerated their claims to justify calling the police? Have you heard testimony from the blacks? You seen positively against them.

And what factual proof do YOU have that these teens were not doing all of the things that the residents were reporting? One thing is indisputable and that is that the residents felt threatened enough to call the police.... and they didn't call them because they believed that the HOA was being violated... they called them because they were seen as a public nuisance because of their uncivil behavior... and were scaring the residents.

If a hundred motorcycle gang members showed up in your neighborhood, were cussing, drinking, being loud and rowdy, fighting, and throwing bottles at the cars in your neighborhood (perhaps even your own cars) wouldn't you call the cops? Ok, so these were hardly gang members...but so what...they (and of course, not all of them but certainly enough of them) were still rowdy and loud and did all the other things I mentioned. Some of these people were not even teens....they were young adults.

I am not against blacks at all except for the ones that are breaking the law and against those who are, apparently, trying to cause trouble. I am against whites or any others who do the same. But right now, it is not the whites that are causing problems. The whites are not demonstrating and rioting because some white criminal gets shot because he punched out a cop and was seen as an imminent threat to the cop's life. The whites are not demonstrating and rioting because some white guy who was arrested 30 times for repeating the same offence was "accidently" choked and later died of a heart attack... who was already very obese and had previous heart problems.... and resisted arrest.

Although there were police abuses, overreactions to situations, it has happened to whites as well. The police have overreacted when whites have not responded appropriately to a confrontation by police. But, if people don't want to provoke a bad situation, like get hurt or killed, then they ought to understand the consequences of acting badly when confronted by a cop.

I read that Washington Post article and mentioned the 2010 Census black population in McKinney, Texas as being 11%. Well, excuse me, the 2010 Census population of blacks in the whole US is only about 12.6 to 13.6% depending on the category of "blacks alone" or "in combination". And I suspose one could believe that since the guy who wrote the article is black that he may be biased. But, of course, blacks could, and do, claim that of whites.

There are blacks on youtube that have spoken out against the black riots and who have said pretty much some of the same things I've said. I've left the links in other threads and won't bother to post them here. I doubt many will watch them anyway. This is, and shouldn't be about race. It is about criminals and criminal actions. And if people are so foolish to think it is about racism then I guess they are just going to have to keep demonizing, demonstrating and rioting...but it aint going to be pretty! There are some people who are trying to make it all about racism and they stir people up so they can't think straight. I can understand demonstrating against police abuse of lawful citizens who were wrongfully apprehended and abused but when you make martyrs out of the criminals then you just look silly. You're not going to win hearts and minds with that strategy. You might win some of those 13% but very few of the 87%. And dispite that disparity in population, it is quite telling when both whites and blacks have about the same numbers of murders and other crimes. FBI statistics!

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-06.pdf

Despite the fact that blacks are approximatedly 1/6 of the total US population, blacks killed almost half the total victims killed in the US. Black men mostly killed black men and white men mostly killed white men.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the...

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

All of your evidence is circumstantial. The people that called the police (all white) hated the blacks just as much as you do. The video shows a bunch of scared teens with an overly agitated cop screaming at them. His language is fowl and abusive. You do not hear loud music, you do not see beer cans in the street, you do not see any white people being abused. In fact one fat white guy follows the cop everywhere. The video is proof. Your rant is not. If they were so bad, how many were arrested and taken through the court system to prove their guilt? What charges were applied "attending a pool party while black"?

Legend
Quote legend:The people that called the police (all white) hated the blacks just as much as you do.
Oh really? So, how can you possibly know that? And you complain about "circumstantial"! ??

Quote legend:The video shows a bunch of scared teens with an overly agitated cop screaming at them.
Scared teens don't sass the police and surround them like they are about to attack the policeman... which is why the cop pulled his gun. Scared teens? Yeah, right! Ha Ha! That's a good one, legend. Got any more?

Quote legend: His language is fowl and abusive.
Yeah, like teens never hear that kind of language, right? What planet are you from? The teens use that kind of language all the time and you are trying to come off like they are poor innocent teens. They were just using that kind of language and even worse earlier when confronting the residents. They were hurling racist names at them. Playing very loud music that was even using the F_ word. Innocent little teens that never hear profanity? Bullsh1t! Again, what planet are you from? All you know about what happened, and the only thing you want to know about what happened was what you saw in that little clip that took place near the street and away from where the DJ was set up.

Have you even looked at that park and pool on Google Earth? I gave the coordinates in another thread. You can zoom right down on it. You can also do a Google Earth Street View and correlate what you see (houses, sidewalk, trees, fence, etc.) with what was in the video. Obviously, the Street View would not show the present as it was recorded way before that pool party ever started. The only thing you won't get is the same angles because the guy at the pool party who took that couple of minutes, shakey video, was standing on the sidewalk or grass and the Street View was taken from the street. And, if you do a little research (because I'm sure not going to tell anyone) you can even virtually stand in front of the house of the coordinators of that pool party...who live just a few blocks away.

That video was shot after the cops got there which means that the kids had probably already, largely, been dispersed so there would not be any music playing at that time. And how can you base whether there were beer cans or bottles in the street when all you saw was a very brief clip of a shaky video that may not have even been the spot where the beer bottles had been thrown? The video was showing mostly the sidewalk and grass and wasn't even aimed at the street for very long. So, how the heck can you say that the video was proof that there weren't any cans or bottles in the streets or damage done to resident's parked cars?

Quote legend:What charges were applied "attending a pool party while black"?
Aside from the racist names some of the teens had called the residents... it had nothing to do with "being black". It had to do with an unruly group of teens, both white and black, et al, in a mixed race community. It was about "attending an unauthorized pool party while being unruly and a public nuisance." Of course, leave it to some blacks to try to make it all out to be a racial thing. There are such people out there that are trying really hard to cause all kinds of disruptions all because they think that it is ok to make martyrs out of criminals and make the police out to be racists. They are not! They are doing their job to protect law-abiding citizens from those who would make the law-abiding citizens their victims. They are just teed off because the cops aren't letting them get away with it. Except in Balitmore, perhaps, where the cops have balked at even patroling some neighborhoods because why should they when their crooked and effete politicians will just "convict them of doing their job". Enjoy the chaos, Baltimore, you deserve it! ;-}}}}

I suspect that more troublemakers will move into other neighborhoods just for the purpose of causing disruptions of the peace and luring the cops in to bait them into doing something that could cause a lot of anti-cop and anti-white press. All they have to do is to use the social media to advertize to a bunch of teens that they are having a party somewhere.

Actually, I read that the McKinney pool party wasn't the only one that happened. It has happened elsewhere. Troublemakers know how to cause lots of trouble, that's for sure. Maybe what we need is to drastically increase funding for more police and more effective crowd control devices. Maybe what they need to do is to hold those who cause such unapproved parties on private and public properties accountable for the damage that is caused if they can't control the situation that they were responsible for creating.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

You are one sick incividual Palin. You need counseling. You claim that you are not a rascist yet maybe you should read your rant. You are a rascist.

Legend

Am not! You are!

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Catching up here....

Quote rsallen:So Al3, when in your mind should enough be enough? Just how far should it take? When all blacks just lay face down on the pavement at the sight a PIG?
C’mon. Of course not. How about calm compliance? All I am saying is some cops may not react well to any sign of resistance – especially in a chaotic situation, where people are swirling around and the cop is outnumbered. This position, from the left, that somehow people have the right to talk back or otherwise resist police questioning or actions, regardless of color of either party, isn’t a very wise one. I can’t think of a worse time to exercise 1st Amendment rights. During my, um, past contacts with the police, I always complied and the results came out as good as could be expected. One time, I even had a gun drawn on me, and that time I did absolutely nothing wrong; I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time and got my car ransacked by police. I calmly complied and I did not get shot, and was sent on my not so merry way. My problem with all this is I don’t know how people can feel they can talk back and/or otherwise show disrespect to cops and expect good results. Especially when the situation is swirling and chaotic, and disrespect is contagious – especially among kids – ask any teacher ‘bout that…which would lead to the police possibly losing control of a situation.

al3's picture
al3
Quote rsallen:Because if you were black that little stunt you pulled passing the old lady that's exactly where you would've ended up, face down on the pavement. And if you'd been driving too nice of a car you may well have ended up on the pavement anyways even if you hadn't broken any laws other than driving while black.
You may be right. Especially if the socialized fear of the police by that black person – a fear that logically can be justified – causes that black driver to continue on his merry way, or try to outrun that cop, or otherwise resist apprehension. I believe I defanged somewhat his anger by immediately pulling over, signaling a surrender. Forcing him to run through traffic to pull me over would have likely added to his adrenaline level, increasing his anger. Running from cops increases their adrenaline level, and sometimes adrenaline can have unpredictable results. And I am not saying all Cops are angels, and I also submit that black citizens’ fear and anger at Cops can be understandable, given the checkered history of such interactions..

al3's picture
al3
Quote rsallen:And as an addendum how willing would you be to leave your bag behind that had your clothes and more importantly your cell phone in it? Especially since you'd done nothing wrong.
I would have been very willing. In this situation, I just don’t think one has a choice without provoking the officer, who has a million other things on his mind at the time.

al3's picture
al3