Arctic Sea Ice website for info

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

10 posts / 0 new

I found a pretty interesting website that I know SOMEONE here might be interested in checking out!

Arctic sea ice extent for June 2015 was the third lowest in the satellite record. June snow cover for the Northern Hemisphere was the second lowest on record. In contrast, Antarctic sea ice extent remained higher than average. The pace of sea ice loss was near average for the month of June, but persistently warm conditions and increased melting late in the month may have set the stage for rapid ice loss in the coming weeks.

Make sure to check out the Air Temperature Anomaly image. Figure 2b. The plot shows Arctic air temperature anomalies at the 925 hPa level in degrees Celsius for June 2015. Yellows and reds indicate higher than average temperatures; blues and purples indicate lower than average temperatures. http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

OK...so HERE IS THE WORKING LINK! SORRY ABOUT THAT!!!!

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

And James Hansen, world's #1 climatologist, warns sea level rise due to global warming is going to be much worse than previous estimates.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/07/21/1404232/-Climate-Bombshell-Sea-...

"...even 2 degrees Celsius of global warming may be "highly dangerous" for humanity... projects sea levels rising as much as 10 feet in the next 50 years..."

"...The paper notes there is evidence indicating that average temperatures just 1 degree Celsius warmer than today caused sea levels to rise 16 to 30 feet and fed extreme storms thousands of years ago.

Hansen and 16 co-authors drafted the paper as a message to policymakers that current greenhouse-gas reduction goals are not strong enough..."The message for policymakers is that we have a global crisis that calls for international cooperation to reduce emissions as rapidly as practical," wrote the authors..."

Add that to 7 million deaths annually due to fossil fuel pollution and biomass burning pollution. Hansen has been a consistently strong advocate for Nuclear power, and proved in a peer reviewed paper that it has already saved 1.8 million lives. Hansen warns renewables WILL NOT prevent catastophic global warming:

"....The tragedy is that many environmentalists line up on the side of the fossil fuel industry, advocating renewables as if they, plus energy efficiency, would solve the global climate change matter. But suggesting that renewables will let us phase rapidly off fossil fuels in the United States, China, India, or the world as a whole is almost the equivalent of believing in the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy.

This Easter Bunny fable is the basis of 'policy' thinking of many liberal politicians. Because they realize that renewable energies are grossly inadequate for our energy needs now and in the foreseeable future and they have no real plan. They pay homage to the Easter Bunny fantasy, because it is the easy thing to do in politics.

It will be a tragedy if environmentalists allow the illusion of ‘soft’ energies to postpone demand for real solution of the energy, climate and national security problems. Solar power is just a small part of the solution. Subsidies yielding even its present tiny contribution may be unsustainable. The main conclusion is to keep an open mind. China and India will increase nuclear power use; they must if they are to phase out coal over the next few decades. It behooves us to be objective..."

Instant-RunOff-...
Quote MrsBJLee:

I found a pretty interesting website that I know SOMEONE here might be interested in checking out!

Arctic sea ice extent for June 2015 was the third lowest in the satellite record. June snow cover for the Northern Hemisphere was the second lowest on record. In contrast, Antarctic sea ice extent remained higher than average. The pace of sea ice loss was near average for the month of June, but persistently warm conditions and increased melting late in the month may have set the stage for rapid ice loss in the coming weeks.

Make sure to check out the Air Temperature Anomaly image. Figure 2b. The plot shows Arctic air temperature anomalies at the 925 hPa level in degrees Celsius for June 2015. Yellows and reds indicate higher than average temperatures; blues and purples indicate lower than average temperatures. http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Thank you for that link, MrsBJLEE.

This Graph I found below that temperature anomaly image tells the story of the now steadily declining Arctic sea ice extent since 1979:

Average Monthly Arctic Sea Ice Extent; June 1979 - June 2015

Below that is an image of June 2015 Snow Cover Anomaly, with an explanation beside it that contains a link to their March Post: Arctic sea ice reaches lowest extent on record.

This tells us a story that, while the Jet stream brings frigid arctic temperatures to the Eastern U.S., warming is taking place in the Arctic and the sea ice is not recovering to its fullest extent. The willingness of a certain group of people to believe that global warming has reversed is of course related to these sorts of anomalous weather behaviors that occur in relation to this climate changing process. A previous February post discusses the Air Temperature Anomaly 2015 warming conditions in the Arctic that may explain the southern swing of the Jet stream bringing cold to the Eastern US:

The low ice extent in the Bering Sea and Sea of Okhotsk is linked to unusually warm conditions in the area. February air temperatures at the 925 hPa level were as much as 4 to 6 degrees Celsius (7 to 11 degrees Fahrenheit) above average in the northern Bering Sea, easternmost Siberia, and Sea of Okhotsk.

While these localized hotspots are in part driven by the low sea ice extent and the resulting large heat fluxes from the open water to the atmosphere, they are seen to be part of a broad area of unusually warm conditions extending across most of northern Eurasia, across Alaska, and into the western part of the United States. In contrast, cold and snowy conditions have persisted across the eastern half of North America. Broadly speaking, these opposing patterns of warmth and cold, along with low ice extent in the Sea of Okhotsk and Bering Sea, can be linked to an unusual jet stream pattern, with the jet lying north of its usual location over Eurasia and the North Pacific (meaning that warm air extends further north than is usual), and then plunging southwards over eastern North America.

This unusual jet stream pattern is clearly manifested in the pattern of Northern hemisphere snow cover for February. Snow extent was well above average over the northeastern U.S. However, the western U.S. and Northern Rockies saw less snow cover than average, especially along the Pacific coast where it has been particularly warm and severely dry. While the Tibetan Plateau saw a somewhat more extensive snow cover than average in December and January, extent for Tibet and Eurasia as a whole was below average in February. Higher-than-average snow cover in the eastern U.S. expanded and became more pronounced this month as well. All of these are continuations of the basic pattern seen in December and January, although the pattern of extensive snow over the northeastern U.S. became more pronounced this month. The low snow cover extent in much of Eurasia is consistent with the warmer-than-average conditions there as described above.

.ren's picture
.ren
Quote MrsBJLee:

OK...so HERE IS THE WORKING LINK! SORRY ABOUT THAT!!!!

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

You seem to be having problems (understandably) with this odd software we have to struggle with. I'd like to offer some assistance if you'd like.

Here's a sure fire method I've worked out.

Step one: Create some text for a link. I usually pick something like the title of the article I'm linking, like:

Downwardly Mobile, July 8, 2015.

The above link is active because I've done the following:

Block the text. If you aren't familiar with doing this, you do so by putting the cursor at one end or the other of the text, doesn't matter which, left click, hold down, then running the mouse cursor over the text. (This can be tricky with a laptop if you are using the touchpad, but it can be mastered, even by me, with a little determined practice, though I still prefer a mouse.) Doing that creates a highlight.

When you've done that, notice on the bar at the top of this comment window a little chain link icon. it's in the middle.

Click on that. A little window pops up.

You can copy and paste your intended link into the URL bar in that window.

Close the window by clicking OK, and your link should now be embedded into the text; the text will be a different color. Mine are blue. The different color indicates an active link and it should work, provided you've copied the correct link.

.ren's picture
.ren

THANK YOU .ren!!!!! I will certainly give it a try. I know how to copy and paste but I never knew how to create some text and attach it to a link. VERY COOL! :-)

I wish I had more time to get into that website I posted. I do hope you find very interesting info. there.

Have you heard or read anything lately about pole shifting? For some reason that just came to my mind.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Hope it works for you.

No, nothing lately about the pole shifting before you asked. Here's a search with some articles to browse: Geomagnetic reversal 2015

.ren's picture
.ren

Oh gosh what I just read is frightening news! Why isn't anyone talking about it?

Now latitude has increased 1.063 degrees and longitude has changed by 20.69 degrees in five years. What once took decades is now happening every year. Keep in mind, even the rate of acceleration is accelerating. The rate of movement could become very extreme at the dramatic end of a pole shift. The clearest physical evidence of a prior event is from Steens Mountain, Oregon – where magnetic ions in solidified lava were analyzed, and showed that Magnetic North was moving fast as the lava cooled and solidified – at a rate of six degrees PER DAY. See New evidence for extraordinarily rapid change of the geomagnetic field during a reversal.

Are we doomed? This really doesn't sound good to me! Am I justified in feeling panicked or am I over reacting?

Then if you add the 1-in-3- odds from THIS article......makes me want to find a new home away from all of these earthquakes and rising seas.

http://www.selfreliancecentral.com/2015/07/16/1-in-3-odds-that-earthquak...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The aurora displays will be awesome. By what mechanism would you think we would be "doomed"?

stwo's picture
stwo

Great climate change blog: google "robertscribbler". He does a great job of explaining very topical items in climate news.

markincorsicana

The Thom Hartmann Program Newsletter Tuesday 21 January 2020

• Democracy Itself Is On Trial... Alexander Hamilton's Thoughts on Abuse of Power as Cause For Impeachment...
  • Democracy on Trial... Thom's Take & Your Calls Along w/LIVE coverage of the Senate Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump...