Book Recommendations

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

5 posts / 0 new

Can anyone recommend a good read on the judicial system and the private prison industry? Maybe also the war on drugs?

RyanMc110's picture
RyanMc110

Comments

I would recommend "Ceremonial Chemistry: The Ritual Persecution of Drugs, Addicts and Pushers" by the late Thomas Szasz.

There is no private prison industry. Prisons are paid for with tax dollars, hence they are not private.

LysanderSpooner's picture
LysanderSpooner

No private prison industry? What is this: http://www.cca.com/

You can parse my words if you want and say I should refer to it by another title, but are you denying that prisons are ran by private corporations? I get it, that they are funded by our tax dollars, but many prisons are ran by private, for-profit corporations.

RyanMc110's picture
RyanMc110

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Was-Thursday-Nightmare-ebook

is a free Kindle offer of GK Chesterton's novel. A guy goes undercover to penetrate anarchists that were quite a problem in 1908. McKinley's assassin was one. His action led to Teddy Roosevelt and trust busting, national parks, conservation, attempted national health.

Had an anarchist taken out Scalia in '99, there would be no 9/11, or Iraq, or Cheney, or Isis, or Afghanistan, or Justices Roberts and Alito, voting rights will still be in place, the national debt will have been paid, Carbon taxes would be in place, and Gore would have handed off to Obama.

http://www.bartleby.com/158/ read online without downloading, save your hard drive space. It's been called a metaphysical novel and more:

The Man Who Was ThursdayA Nightmare Gilbert Keith Chesterton At first read, G.K. Chesterton’s the Man Who Was Thursday is a zany mystery story filled with often surreal twists that turn more traditional thrillers on their ear. Set in a fantastic London where the ridiculous never nears the sublime, our hero, Gabriel Syme revolts against the status quo and breaks out as—normal. Yet Syme’s normalcy provides the perfect foil to illustrate the insanity around him—and for Chesterton to illustrate the insanity he saw in turn-of-the-century London.

The late great polymath, Martin Gardner, liked GK Chesterton and referred to him often, and referred his readers to him.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Johnny Truant was a British rock band before becoming an author of Unicorn Western series and Beam another series, both co-authored with ______? Platt.

The next 4 listed are free, short, and written alone

The Universe Doesn't Give a Flying Fuck …
Johnny Truant
(1,067)
Kindle Edition
$0.00
You are dying, and your world is a lie (Epic …
Johnny Truant
(99)
Kindle Edition
$0.00
Disobey (Epic series Book 3)
Johnny Truant
(102)
Kindle Edition
$0.00
How to Live Forever (Epic series Book 4)
Johnny Truant
(23)
Kindle Edition
$0.00

I have no idea what these are, aside from what the commenters wrote . Mostly 5 stars except for the two that were upset that he cussed, so they could not finish it. Mark Twain would've been ignored by these folks.

The Western novellas were for kids, juniors, and adults. Harry Potter without wizards, cowboys on unicorns, and maybe since he's in UK, a leprechaun, I don't know. Paul Bunyan had Babe the blue ox, who might've fancied a female unicorn, unless he was gay, then any unicorn would do, but likely not in the kid's versions. Maybe Babe was a girl ox, an oxette?

The gist of the first book is take chances, your life is shorter than you think.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

What Do Democrats Really Want?

Thom plus logo Thomas Friedman, the confused billionaire, told us decades ago that "free trade" is what made the Lexus a successful product when, in fact, it was decades of Japanese government subsidies and explicit tariffs that did so.