SHELL CRASHED an icebreaker on the way to the Arctic.....3 foot gash!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

8 posts / 0 new

I don't know if you watched the near disaster unfold back in 2012 with regards to Shell attempting to drill in the Arctic but I did. I knew about the pass they got for an air polluting generator. I knew about the "cap" they were testing that was supposed to stop a blow-out that was crushed like a beer can during testing. I heard about the ship that drifted towards the coast nearly beaching itself and then of course, you may even be able to still find videos of the stranded drilling rig that got loose from the tug boats and lodged itself on a rock outcrop just off an environmentally sensitive island. I held my breath stopping my life to watch what was happening day after day to see if they managed to dislodge the rig without a diesel spill. NOW.........this is what is CURRENTLY HAPPENING..........the text below is from a petition that I just signed.

If it wasn’t so damn sad it would be hilarious: Royal Dutch Shell (aka the Keystone Cops of the Oil industry) just crashed another one of their Arctic drilling vessels, and they still want to go ahead with drilling. What’s worse? The Department of the Interior just might let them.

First, Shell ran the drill rig Kulluk aground in Alaska in 2012, resulting in 8 felony convictions for recklessness and willful deception of authorities1. Now, they’ve torn a 3 foot gash in their primary icebreaker, Fennica.

On July 3rd, Shell was taking a shortcut2 through shallow, treacherous waters with the Fennica when they struck something hard enough to puncture the hull of their toughest icebreaker.

Shell has now been forced to send the Fennica south to Portland, Oregon for repairs. This is Shell’s only icebreaker equipped with a “cap stack”, the mission critical gear needed to cap a blown-out well.

Shell’s own safety plans – the ones they had to submit to the Department of Interior in order to get permits to drill in the Arctic – rely on having two primary icebreakers in order to avoid accidents that can lead to devastating oil spills.

Without the Fennica, Shell is in violation of its own Oil Response Plan, as well as its Exploration Plan.

Yet the Department of Interior just granted a limited permit allowing Shell to begin the drilling process, while keeping it from actually digging down to the oil itself. This conditional approval is a another step in the wrong direction, but Shell will still need a new permit to drill for oil once it completes the Fennica’s repairs.

Shell is now pushing any responsible reading of their permit, and proven they value money over the safety of our oceans and climate.

The next step should be clear: the Department of Interior should cancel the permits they have already granted Shell, and refuse to grant any more.

Sources and Further Reading:

1.“Coast Guard Blames Shell Risk-Taking in Kulluk Rig Accident,” National Geographic, April 2014. http://bit.ly/1cnY6nN

2. “Damaged Arctic icebreaker’s route questioned,” Fuel Fix, July 2015. http://bit.ly/1IjusMJ

3. “Shell To Proceed With Arctic Drilling Despite Damaged Icebreaker Ship Carrying Critical Emergency Gear Heading To Portland For Repairs,” Desmogblog, July 2015. http://bit.ly/1Lv1prU

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Here is a direct link to the petition I signed. Please don't just sign it. Add a scathing comment! This is a disaster waiting to happen. We DON'T NEED THIS OIL and it should stay where it is!

http://other98.com/tell-secretary-interior-shell/?source=direct_link&

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

Venezuela had one, Sweden had two, and Norway had 3 going back to 1907. However, look at the most egregious, or most careless, or the one that owns the courts.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Oil from beneath the Earth

George Wythe's picture
George Wythe

Joined just to share that, did ya george? LOL

stwo's picture
stwo

This week, Secretary Jewell helped celebrate the construction of the first offshore U.S. wind farm in Rhode Island while activists risked their lives to try and stop SHELL from drilling in the Arctic.

I get it....keep Secretary Jewell busy on the other side of the country with feel good clean energy projects to cover up the dirty oil and fracking agenda. Well its NOT WORKING! We can see behind the curtain!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Government Awards Shell Final Approvals for Chukchi Sea Exploration Drilling Facebook Twitter Google PlusPress Release DateWednesday, July 22, 2015Location: WASHINGTON, DCContacts:Michael LeVine: mlevine@oceana.org
Jenny Jones: jjones@oceana.org

Today, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) approved Shell’s Applications for Permit to Drill. These approvals allow Shell to begin drilling operations in the Chukchi Sea offshore of Alaska. Shell’s drilling and associated support activities will occur in and near important habitat for walrus and other marine life. The company has already begun moving its fleet of vessels to the Chukchi Sea.

Today’s approvals come despite ongoing problems with Shell’s plans. Most recently, one of Shell’s two icebreakers, the MSVFennica, was damaged when the vessel repeatedly transited a shallow, rocky shoal despite a safer route being readily available. Shell will not be allowed to drill into oil-bearing zones until the Fennica is back in the Chukchi Sea. Shell’s last efforts to operate in the Arctic in 2012 led to a series of mishaps, fines, government investigations, and, most famously, the grounding of the drill rig Kulluk.

Andrew Sharpless, Oceana CEO, issued the following statement in response to today’s announcement:

“Neither Shell nor the oil industry as a whole has learned the lessons of 2010 or 2012. As its ongoing missteps show, Shell is not prepared to operate safely in the Arctic Ocean where bad weather, darkness and floating ice increase the risks of an accident, and there is no proven way to clean up spilled oil. The government’s approvals for Shell’s drilling fly in the face of common sense. The Arctic Ocean is too important to trust to Shell, and our government must stop bending rules to accommodate the company.

This perilous treasure hunt for oil is not the solution to our nation’s long-term energy needs. Given Shell’s track record and the government’s apparent willingness to ignore it, those of us who care about the oceans are in a scary and unfortunate situation. Until companies prove they can operate safely, allowing them in the Arctic Ocean is a dangerous mistake. The risks are too great and benefits much too small to justify offshore drilling in the Arctic Ocean now. We simply should not be pursuing oil in remote and dangerous places.”

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

In response to the above news release I say again, where is Jewell? On the opposite side of the country celebrating the construction of an off-shore windfarm while people are risking their lives trying to do what our government isn't doing which is STOP Shell from drilling in the pristine waters of the Arctic.

And I just read that Shell got a court order against Greenpeace to a tune of $2,500 per HOUR if the activists don't get off from hanging under the bridge. NICE GOING SHELL!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Lev Parnas is afraid of Bill Barr - and he should be

Thom plus logo Lev Parnas recently told Rachel Maddow that he's more afraid of Attorney General Bill Barr than he is of the mobbed-up foreign oligarchs he has betrayed. Barr, after all, can weaponize our prisons to punish Parnas.