The 1958 Safety Car Of The Future!

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

4 posts / 0 new

I saw the Sir Vival car back in the 80's in the lot of an auto-body shop in Bellingham MA. I thought it was a joke... to show off the skills of the people who worked there. But it was a serious real effort to make a safety car... not one created for the National Lampoon.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/mrscharroo/7744937138/

The shop has since moved but it's still there... only now indoors.

It made the cover of Mechanix Illustrated and here's the article

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/meet-sir-vival-safety-car-future-wasnt

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Comments

Still have the scar above my left eye. 54 oldsmobile. I was about 6, Mother rear ended another car. No seatbelts and a metal dash. I lost.

Legend

Car design started to improve in the mid 1950s, but they were only truly safer because they were smaller in size ( and got more mileage to the gallon ) than the oversized, gas-guzzling giant vehicles of the 1940s.

However.... it was still some two decades before the first airbags were created. While it's true that airbags don't always function correctly nor do they guarantee a life will be saved in a head-on collison when when they do , I ask in regard to this topic : How truly "safe" were these "safety cars" ?

Executive
Quote Legend:

Still have the scar above my left eye. 54 oldsmobile. I was about 6, Mother rear ended another car. No seatbelts and a metal dash. I lost.

Ha! The same thing happened to me... in my dad's old green Olds which he traded in for a 57 Olds. So I must have been 6. We were on my way to my grandparent's house and I don't remember if my dad was at fault, or the car in front stopped too quickly... but I went flying into the dashboard. Unlike you, I have no scars as a souvenir of my encounter with the dashboard and/or windshield.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX