There is a 3 in 1 odds that EARTHQUAKE will devastate Pacific Northwest

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

20 posts / 0 new

Just when Oregon and Washington was beginning to look like the place I wanted to call home I had to run across this article.

I have experienced earthquakes in California and they can be quite frightening. One of the scariest I've been through made my house feel like it was a tiny boat bobbing on the ocean! It seemed like it would never end.

http://www.selfreliancecentral.com/2015/07/16/1-in-3-odds-that-earthquak...

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Comments

Put it in the context of all the risks you take every day. It'll either be today or not in your lifetime................. or somewhere between the two. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

stwo's picture
stwo

I might be missing something here, but how exactly do you get 3 odds in 1? I think you might have just cracked the age-old problem of perpetual motion!

Karl Leon Lennon's picture
Karl Leon Lennon
Quote stwo:

Put it in the context of all the risks you take every day. It'll either be today or not in your lifetime................. or somewhere between the two. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess you don't live in the area. Maybe have never experienced an earthquake either. I was surprised to learn about this fault line. I hadn't heard about it until I saw this article and thought others who live in the area or have family that live in the area would want to know so they can consider preparing an earthquake kit.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

OMG! I'm shakin' in my boots! Guess I'd better move to the central states where all they have are tornados and floods.

stwo: I like your little smiley! Cool!

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

PNW is part of "ring of fire" around the pacific. If it were not for the subduction zone, we would not have all the strato volcanoes in the Cascade Mtn range. Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adam, Mt. St. Helen, Mt. Hood... down to Shasta... Along with it is a possibility of earthquake.

Chance of major earthquake in the region goes to 100% if the "window of time" is long enough. But who is going to live for 1000 years?

I wouldn't worry too much. Just have your house hardened for sesimic event.

smilingcat

And just think, after one good shaker that destroys everything. We can rebuild and not have to worry that our great great great grandchildren will have to experience the same thing. Not that I have any, myself.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

And don't move to the Long Beach Peninsula, MrsBJLee. It'll turn to mush in 9.0 quake then probably be washed over by a giant tsunami.

.ren's picture
.ren

I guess you dont realize the risks that you take everyday that are orders of magnitude higher than the earthquake risk you mention.

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote MrsBJLee:

Just when Oregon and Washington was beginning to look like the place I wanted to call home I had to run across this article.

No offense, but I think you have a 1000 times greater chance of dying from an ulcer worrying about everything that could happen than ever getting killed or injured in an earthquake.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote Palindromedary:And just think, after one good shaker that destroys everything. We can rebuild and not have to worry that our great great great grandchildren will have to experience the same thing. Not that I have any, myself.

You used to be so cool. What happened?

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee
Quote Palindromedary:OMG! I'm shakin' in my boots! Guess I'd better move to the central states where all they have are tornados and floods. stwo: I like your little smiley! Cool!

I miss your cute cat.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

MrsBJLee: You do? Maybe one day I'll put it back up. But for now, I think I'll just keep the one I got up. Some people on this board are making some pretty ridiculous claims and my avatar is a good visual thorn in their side, perhaps, that what they are claiming (that it was only shoplifting and not a strong arm robbery) is not true. Simple shoplifting is when you sneak something out of the store without using violence. Since Michael Brown used violence when he shoved the clerk out of the way. That was using force to commit a robbery. And it fits the definition of strong arm robbery. You don't have to have a gun or a knife to make it a strong arm robbery. Michael Brown threatened the clerk and used physical violence against him.

The avatar shows a photo taken from the Ferguson convenience store surveillence video of Michael Brown's strong-arm robbery of that store on the day of, and just before, Michael Brown punched out the policeman in Ferguson. The clerk, who was half Brown's size, was trying to stop Michael Brown because he didn't pay for those cigars. This avatar shows Michael Brown shoving the store clerk out of the way as Brown was trying to leave the store with cigars that he didn't pay for. This photo shows that it wasn't just a case of simple shoplifting. It was obviously a forceful, strong-arm robbery. It shows Michael Brown's bad attitude of a bully and his criminal behavior which later got him into much deeper trouble when he committed a felony by slugging Officer Wilson while Wilson was sitting in his car.

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary

Well I still miss your cute pink cat!! :-) So I hope you will bring it back again soon!

:-)

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Soon, maybe! :-)

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary
Quote Palindromedary:Soon, maybe! :-)

Come on.....you know you want to! :-)

It was such a COOL CAT! :-)

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Don't you like my avatar showing Michael Brown shoving the store clerk away fom the door so that he can leave the store with those cigars he stole?

Palindromedary's picture
Palindromedary
Quote Palindromedary:Don't you like my avatar showing Michael Brown shoving the store clerk away fom the door so that he can leave the store with those cigars he stole?

I just loved your pink cat. It was such a cool cat. Don't you have it anymore? I thought for sure I was going to see your cat again but it's still not here. I hope you didn't loose it! Looking forward to seeing it again. :-)

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

The article itself, and the link to it, gives the odds as 1 in 3, which makes sense. 3 in 1 is indeed nonsense. But odds and understanding of them is curious. The odds of a Northwest earthquake isn't a static figure. Conditions change.

This common misunderstanding of odds has bankrupted a good many. Odds of a flipped coin turning up heads or tails is 1 in 2 with each flip. It doesn't matter if a hundred flips turn up heads every time - the odds of the next flip turning up tails is still 1 in 2.

Now the odds that the earth will burn to a crisp are 1 in 1 barring some cosmic intervention. The odds for such an intervention run about zero so here's an opportunity to bet on a sure thing. The problem being there'd be no one around to either pay or collect.

Alberto Ceras 2's picture
Alberto Ceras 2

Well Alberto we agree on something! THERE IS NO ECONOMY ON A DEAD PLANET!

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

Impeachment: The Difference Between Nixon & Trump

Thom plus logo There is a very simple reason why some Republicans participated in the impeachment proceedings against Richard Nixon, but none have so far broken ranks against Trump. That reason is the US Supreme Court.