Thom, Don't invite Gianno Caldwell back

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

21 posts / 0 new

Interesting to see a young man filet you with such class and kindness. If you ever are facing him again, I suggest you let him finish his thoughts. Your stepping on him only made him stronger.

He is a very impressive young man.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

Comments

We must have been watching different shows. Whenever Mr. Caldwell was cornered by a question, he would, instead of answering the question, proceed to ask Thom a question as as a distraction.

Mr. Caldwell comes off as very self-serving and aligns statements with pre-held beliefs. He wasn't convincing at all and didn't seem genuine.

Kent In Paris's picture
Kent In Paris

If I were unkind I would note that people used to refer to people like Gianno Caldwell as an "Uncle Tom" or a "House N#%*er." Of course I would never say such a thing myself since, particularly in the present, conservative operatives are ubiquitous and good paying jobs are hard to come by. If Caldwell actually had the courage of his convictions his rhetoric would span more than just a critique of Obama and the current Administration's policies. While it may play to the right-wing base it's not intellectually honest and so most of his criticism's, both from this morning and from his many appearances on "The Big Picture," can be dismissed as petty mudslinging. He only repeats his organization's latest talking points but articultes them well as a competent young operative. Other of his observations can be dismissed simply as naivety since he is quite young and does not have the historical perspective to realize it when his older peers are filling his head with propagandized interpretations of reality which are readily dismissed by those of us with a broader experience.

But he is an operative, after all, and so when pressed on "The Big Picture," while he often concedes to reasonable arguments, he always returns to where his trough is. I hope he does continue to appear on Thom's shows because he's intelligent and so he may eventually come around to taking an honest approach if he gets enough exposure to honest brokers like Thom and other progressives.

But of course our site troll who posted this topic is being disingenuous about it. He posted a topic title that makes it seem as though he doesn't want to see anymore of Gianno but then heaps praise on him when you read his comment about Gianno's appearance. A clear bait and switch.

mdhess's picture
mdhess
Quote mdhess:

If I were unkind I would note that people used to refer to people like Gianno Caldwell as an "Uncle Tom" or a "House N#%*er.

I'm glad a conservative poster didn't make that stupid comment.

Quote mdhess:

But of course our site troll who posted this topic is being disingenuous about it. He posted a topic title that makes it seem as though he doesn't want to see anymore of Gianno but then heaps praise on him when you read his comment about Gianno's appearance. A clear bait and switch.

As usual, you missed the sarcasm in the title of my post but I suspect it will only be you who is in that box so I will not explain it to you.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

I never heard of Gianno Caldwell before and now am interested in learning more. Very rarely is there a guest on the show who opposes Tom's outlook and isn't just a sloganeering shouter and therefore an easy foil for Tom's righteous anger. In this case, the guest seemed to have some interesting points to make, but was given maybe 10 seconds to speak before Tom started shouting him down. It made Tom look bad and Caldwell look good. Why not let him speak his piece? A debate is supposed to be an exchange of ideas, not a shouting match. In this case, it seemed that only the host was doing the shouting. Let the man make his case and then poke holes in it if you can. Otherwise, you run the risk of being seen as a Rush Limbaugh of the left.

p.s., Go Bernie!

spider66's picture
spider66

Please stop trolling and go back to #FauxIsNotANewsNetwork to join your ilk

rbjets69's picture
rbjets69

Mr Caldwell added nothing to the discussion and sorry that you wasted an entire hour to his dribble. He used the old adage to refuse to answer a direct question and provide any proof to his attacks. I just don't understand how any AA could be supportive of the Republican Party and their anti-minority stances. My guess is $$ is more important to Mr Caldwell than his principles.

rbjets69's picture
rbjets69
Quote Dexterous:
Quote mdhess:

If I were unkind I would note that people used to refer to people like Gianno Caldwell as an "Uncle Tom" or a "House N#%*er.

I'm glad a conservative poster didn't make that stupid comment.

Quote mdhess:

As usual, you missed the sarcasm in the title of my post but I suspect it will only be you who is in that box so I will not explain it to you.

A conservative wouldn't say it but not because it's offensive, only because they wouldn't want to lose their token African American.

mdhess's picture
mdhess

I will chime in on this post. I also found Mr. Caldwell very interesting. I felt Thom discovered very early on that he may be outmatched. Mr. Caldwell started out soft selling his points. It appeared to me that Thom was quite speechless at times and any attempt at a “debate” degenerated to Thom over talking his guest thus forcing the Mr. Caldwell to resort to quick one liners in an attempt to get his point across which I understand many will find offensive, but in reality, it was his only chance to get a word in edgewise.

Overall, I was impressed with Mr. Caldwell’s calm demeanor and his patience in dealing with Thom’s continued attempts to change the subject when he was cornered with good rebuttal from Mr. Caldwell.

Overall, I felt Thom got buried in his own studio, and if Mr. Caldwell had been given a chance to make his points, he would have embarrassed Thom further. I bet Thom was very happy when his first hour was over and he could move on to Howard Dean.

hollygolightly's picture
hollygolightly

This guy completely talked over Thom and never allowed him to finish a thought. He ruined the show on the pod cast. He never answered a question and continually interrupted you. You should have gone Joe Pine on him and thrown him off the set. A person who was clearly self promoting to grab some of the Black Republican money. Please never again. Nothing was accomplished by his blather and ruining the show by talking over you. I could not even hear the pod cast.

tim1234

The whole thing gave me a headache. I agree with both sides, actually. However, I would like Thom to let his guests say their peace. If they are morons, they'll hang themselves. You lose me, Thom, when you shout over your guests ...what is the point in having them?

Please stop with the right wing shills as your guests, and put on someone who can tell us something we don't know. Usually your guest spots are a waste of my time.

rrlisten's picture
rrlisten

I'm not sure commentary on Thom's performance with Mr. Caldwell is particularly constructive. This is supposed to be about the issues and not infotainment or who bested whom.

On any other day, I think Thom would have said to the degree that Mr. Caldwell is correct in his assertion that Dodd-Frank is an example of institutional racism -- the question is how do we fix it? The banks are bigger than ever. Simply inviting 'community banks' to comment on what would be reasonable captial requirements is not going help them if any of the big banks fail.

However, we can help them by breaking up big banks so that all banks would only need have more or less the same capital requirements. Community banks would not be unfairly burdened in this case and the system as a whole would be safe for everyone.

But the only person talking about this is Bernie Sanders. He is the only politician I know who is serious about breaking up the big banks. Anyone think Hillary would do it? ROTFLMAO.

And it's ironic--dare I say, rich--that Mr. Caldwell, an African American himself, holds up Dodd-Frank's economic unfairness (to the degree he is correct) as example of institutional racism, after the Black Lives Matter folks have accused Bernie of being a White Liberal Supremacist, talking too much about issues of economic justice, rather than about racial equality and fairness directly.

rpencin

I found a couple youtube segments on this, in it Thom once again cited the "welfare queen myth" and said it was all a lie and this lady could not be found. Turns out that is not true;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Taylor

gumball's picture
gumball

I did not think Mr Caldwell very informed but instead stuck to the talking points all Republicans memorize. The mind set that keeps conservatives repeating othe same thing over and over again is not one of logic.

cosmocat's picture
cosmocat
Quote gumball:

I found a couple youtube segments on this, in it Thom once again cited the "welfare queen myth" and said it was all a lie and this lady could not be found. Turns out that is not true;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Taylor

Nobody is perfect but Thom's point was still apt. Like Trump using a few horrific examples of violence by unauthorized immigrants to unduly paint a population of millions with a broad brush as "murderers and rapists," Reagan took an anecdotal incident to convince the public that welfare fraud was a rampant problem in immediate need of attention.

If Taylor was a character in a movie, people would dismiss her as an implausibility. She really did bilk various government programs of hundreds of thousands of dollars. She also burned through husbands, sometimes more than one at a time. She was a master of disguise, armed with dozens of wigs. She flipped through assumed and fake identities and employed 33 known aliases; Levin said that he refers to her as "Linda Taylor" because that was the name she was known by at the time of her high-profile trial for fraud. She enchanted and charmed some of her marks, while others were deathly afraid of her. http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/12/20/255819681/the-truth-behind-the-lies-of-the-original-welfare-queen

Taylor was an anomoly, a career criminal with many victims, and Reagan misused her criminality as part of a typical ploy conservatives engage in which is, as I say, using anecdotal evidence to make a case that the facts do not support.

mdhess's picture
mdhess
Quote cosmocat:

I did not think Mr Caldwell very informed but instead stuck to the talking points all Republicans memorize. The mind set that keeps conservatives repeating othe same thing over and over again is not one of logic.

Kind of like Hartmann sputtering "Ronald Reagan destroyed America" literally once in nearly every ten minute segment? You mean that sort of irrational BS?

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote mdhess: Like Trump using a few horrific examples of violence by unauthorized immigrants to unduly paint a population of millions with a broad brush as "murderers and rapists,"

Or using a handful of police misconduct to paint all cops as racist?

gumball's picture
gumball

Yet Thom cites it over and over again. If it is part of his usual talking points should he not verify the truth? Make you wonder what else on his talking point list is less than accurate?

gumball's picture
gumball
Quote gumball:
Quote mdhess: Like Trump using a few horrific examples of violence by unauthorized immigrants to unduly paint a population of millions with a broad brush as "murderers and rapists,"

Or using a handful of police misconduct to paint all cops as racist?

You picked a bad example as, while everyone understands that not all police are racists, the (not anecdotal) evidence surrounding this issue does make the case for the need to reform law enforcement.

Black Americans are more than twice as likely to be unarmed when killed during encounters with police as white people, according to a Guardian investigation which found 102 of 464 people killed so far this year in incidents with law enforcement officers were not carrying weapons.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/01/black-americans-killed-by-police-analysis

mdhess's picture
mdhess
Quote gumball:

Yet Thom cites it over and over again. If it is part of his usual talking points should he not verify the truth? Make you wonder what else on his talking point list is less than accurate?

Here are a few that came to mind in the first half second after reading your question.

The Republican stance on privatizing SS

401k investment options.

Anything firearm related

The existence of voter fraud

Debt, both public and private

Libertarian positions

Most anything investment related

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

Remeber how Thom would always talk about the interview with the German CEO who said "I don't want to be a rich man in a poor mans country" , or something to that effect? The way Thom would tell the story one would think he actually saw that interview. In reality it was a myth started on DU and Thom ran with it before checking the facts.

gumball's picture
gumball

The Kavanaugh Scandal Goes Beyond Sex & Must Be Investigated

Thom plus logo While all the attention on the possibility of impeaching justice beer bong Kavanaugh is focused on his alleged sexual behavior, the real scandal is that the Republicans refused to release years of paperwork on his participation, when he was inside the Bush administration, with regard to torture and other war crimes.