Inaccessible Island

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

1 post / 0 new

In the Dissent thread I posted a link to mapping of the English language. The series identifies the evolution of English from the 5th century to present. One place I had never heard of is :Tristan_da Cunha in the south Atlantic between Uruguay and South Africa, population 300. They use double negatives 'he done come down the road' 'I seen him' or variations. Now, with only 300, wouldn't incest be impossible to avoid? It's also named St Helena, I think Gilligan's mom's name was Helena. Cunha sounds like it could be dirty, but Hawaiians use Kahuna. Maybe it's an Island ruled by Amazonian women and men are just for breeding and labor. How the hell anyone ever settled there, or even landed there might be a story in itself. The Bounty mutineers settled on Tahiti and Pitcairn, but Cuhna? Why is it unknown.

btw, one island in the archipelago is named Inaccessible. To Christen a land, must one access it? If so it is not inaccessible.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Trump and His Billionaire Buddies Plot to Destroy Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid

Thom plus logo Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are officially in the crosshairs of the Trump administration, and they intend to go after them this year.