New Gun Controls vs The Real Root Cause

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

2 posts / 0 new

Mr. Hartmann,

First let me start by stating that I am a listener and fan of your radio program and that although I was raised in a family of gun owners (multiple guns) I have never personally owned my own firearm nor do I have one in my home. And I would be the first person in line to vote for a proposition to outlaw all guns and lethal weapons.

Your argument for sensible gun control in light of all of the recent mass shooting dose have credibility and is based on common sense, however I must respectfully disagree that enforcing any further gun controls (registration, permits, etc.) would have prevented the mass shootings that have occurred over the past few years. There are already too many guns already in the public, registered or otherwise.

(As a side note, has anyone researched the total number of guns manufactured, just in North America over the past 100 years? My guess it would be in the billions))

I believe the root cause for those events was more the result of absentee parenting and the flagrant disregard the US has for all mental health issues. The US has taken the “out of sight, out of mind” politically correct approach to all mental health issues. Where are the parents of all these young people that decide that bringing weapons to school and opening fire on others is a solution to their problems? Where are the countless other people in the lives of these shooters that choose to ignore the signs of depression, isolation or other mental health issues? Did these people not think that letting someone with these issues have ready access to arsenals of weapons was a possibly bad idea?

And for all the “accidental deaths” attributed to firearms, again where are the shooter’s family and friends? Leaving loaded or even unloaded weapons unlocked so that children can gain access is no accident, it irresponsible gun ownership – and that cannot be prevent by permits and licenses.

Until we start dealing with the issues of mental health and responsible parenting, the mass shootings will not be impacted.

TexasLiberal's picture
TexasLiberal

Comments

I have suggested that all gun purchases be with a back ground check and taking the MMPI. Many companies use this toweed out the wackos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

Legend

Trump Briefs His Buddies at Mar-A-Lago but Not Congress - WHAT?!

Thom plus logo Donald Trump refused to brief the only branch of government that has the power to make war about his attack on Iranian General Soleimani.