Donate Your PC's Spare Capacity To Scientific Reseach

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

7 posts / 0 new

It must have been back around 1999 when I first heard of distributed computing... where people volunteer their computers to run small pieces of a larger research effort. I helped with a cancer research effort for years through UD... United Devices. They disappeared.

A new distributed computing model was developed called BOINC into which any number of different projects could be plugged into. BOINC can run as many projects as you have CPU cores and you can switch projects whenever you want. I ran two for years on my old dual core PC... one medical, the other on cosmology. BOINC can also harness the immense power of GPUs.

There are any number of projects you can participate in... and a list can be found here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_distributed_computing_projects

(edited and moved from the environment forum)

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Comments

Quote ulTRAX:

The more models that are run, the more evidence we gather on climate change.

That is an interesting way to phrase it, as if computer models are evidence.

gumball's picture
gumball
Quote gumball:
Quote ulTRAX:

Says the person who believes past S&P numbers can safely be projected into the future. Where's the evidence for YOUR repeated claim the stock market is a sure bet... in the long run.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote ulTRAX:
Quote gumball:
Quote ulTRAX:

Says the person who believes past S&P numbers can safely be projected into the future. Where's the evidence for YOUR repeated claim the stock market is a sure bet... in the long run.

Link me to where I said that please.

gumball's picture
gumball
Quote gumball:
Quote ulTRAX:Says the person who believes past S&P numbers can safely be projected into the future. Where's the evidence for YOUR repeated claim the stock market is a sure bet... in the long run.

Link me to where I said that please.

I'm not playing your games Gummie.

Leaving aside your latest hypocrisy, I've REPEATEDLY brought to your attention YOUR repeated use of terms an investment in the S&P500 WOULD be worth X... as opposed to MIGHT be worth X... and you've REFUSED to ever change your claims. But then, you're a true believer who needs to believe your life's savings will pay handsome rewards as opposed to disappearing.

Now, have anything to say about the topic of THIS thread?

Didn't think so.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

SETI used to do a similar thing, where you could download a program, and they would use your computer's CPU power to help them search for alien signals. Some guy in Arizona got fired because he accidentally installed the program on his employer's entire network, and it slowed the system down to a crawl until they figured out what was up.

It's a brilliant idea though. Particularly if you have a lot of data to process, but it can be done at night. Most computers are left on and online all night. It's also when bandwidths are fastest.

ChicagoMatt
Quote ChicagoMatt:

SETI used to do a similar thing, where you could download a program, and they would use your computer's CPU power to help them search for alien signals. Some guy in Arizona got fired because he accidentally installed the program on his employer's entire network, and it slowed the system down to a crawl until they figured out what was up.

Fortunately BOINC can be configured to insure it doesn't impact the performance of one's PC. I assume other programs can do the same. The last thing these research projects want is to get a bad reputation.

My partner wanted to join in on a health project so installed one of these programs her PC. Soon after I heard a fan acting erratically. Compared to me, she never uses her PC for much. She might as well have a 1gig Celeron. Once the CPU started to heat up the fan speed increased. It raised a red flag that something was wrong... and indeed the CPU's heat sink was perhaps 95% clogged with dust. So in this case getting her PC to do some work for a change was a good thing.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Trump's Lies Are Killing Us

Thom plus logo Donald Trump keeps insisting in his rallies, as he did last night, that he has lowered prescription drug prices, is protecting people with pre-existing conditions, and is improving Medicare. While everybody knows that he lies a lot, these are among the most pernicious lies.