I decided I was better than a corporation: A happy thought

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

1 post / 0 new

Hey everyone... it seems like there is a lot of stress in the posts. In fact, you guys aren't asking any questions, everyone is just saying stuff and, I wanted to share something simple but, happy. I just hired a new babysitter. She was the only one I could find that I could kind of afford. My FCC contract got trashed and the group I would have fallen into left me basically working for child care. So, she has been working for me for two weeks. I have a rule with my sitters. My schedule is super crazy so, sometimes it works out that she doesn't have to babysit as one of us is home. This was one of those weeks. She asked for an advance so she could vacation with her family this weekend, and I agreed. I only owed her $20 as it was but, my rule said I owed her $40. So, I grabbed $45 and headed over. I handed her the $45 and she looked at me really surprised. I told her my rule. I believe people should have steady income. I have been a victim of that. So, when my schedule allows for us not to have care, I still pay at least $20 a week for her to be available to babysit. This way, as long as I make more than $80/month, she makes at least $80/month. By not making plans when I need her, she earns money. Then, she asked what the extra $5 was for. I told her it wasn't much but, to have a nice weekend with her family. I'm not rich, in fact, I had second thoughts about the money because I wasn't sure if we could get through to the next pay check. At the same time, I looked at the greed in the world and said, "I'll manage, I just want someone to feel appreciated right now." and, it almost brought her to tears. I decided to not be a corporation. Corporations are responsible for their shareholders... I decided to be what I think Bernie Sanders would be. I'm better than a corporation, I'm a generous person. I made someone happy and gave them some hope for humanity. The reason I shared this with you guys is, to remind you that the changes do start with you. Generosity is contagious... please, find a way to be generous to someone and, be a good influence. I just feel like the world is breaking but, I might be able to offset just a tiny fracture of corporate greed with human kindness. Thank you for reading. :)

Emmie's picture
Emmie

Trump's Lies Are Killing Us

Thom plus logo Donald Trump keeps insisting in his rallies, as he did last night, that he has lowered prescription drug prices, is protecting people with pre-existing conditions, and is improving Medicare. While everybody knows that he lies a lot, these are among the most pernicious lies.