Thom Hartmann's Recent 'The Best of The Rest of Environmental News' Segment About Sunscreens Contributing to Reefs Destructions

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

I years ago start making my own homemade, from as far as I can from scrape, sunscreen; so my aunt told me about this. Here is my E-Mail back to her, which will do a more indepth coverage of this issue-

"At first couple websites I was feeling real good, http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/feb14/sunscreen.html &http://www.discoverhawaiitours.com/blog/what-is-coral-reef-safe-sunscreen#/what-is-coral-reef-safe-sunscreen , but then I read http://divermag.com/the-truth-about-sunscreens-and-coral-reefs/ . Then I went to www.EWG.com expecting to find only problem with sunscreens like Reef Safe & Raw Elements is they would not be good enough in sunscreen protection & I did, but Reef Safe is not safe to use, a lot of things that are toxic, as well that surprised me. Raw Elements sunscreen according to one of the first two-websites is supposed to be good for the reefs, third website says no, has the same extremely hard to replace & get effective enough & still just low toxicity rating sun protection ingredient that my homemade sunscreen has- Zinc Oxide. While you were talking about it, I was thinking of using titanium dioxide, also has low toxicity level & www.Care2.com health group member told me works as a great substitute for Zinc Oxide & good for darker skin (no white covering), but it it is just as bad for reefs. Thus, might as well stick with my homemade sunscreen, even though Raw Elements has a great rating for safety."

If you guys know more & have more chemicals that I can replace Zinc Oxide with, and still have lowest toxicity (www.EWG.com) & very high sun protection, then please by all means let me know of them.

Great White Shark- Earth And Beings Rights Person's picture
Great White Sha...

Comments

THANK YOU for bringing this to our attention and posting it here.

Since we now know these chemicals are in our sunscreens and are harming the corals, we need to stop using them for sure.

I have not read all the links yet but still have the windows open and will get back to reading.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

MrsBJLee,

You are welcome; I would have simply messaged you this, save posts that one has to search through (for lack of better words), but this website does not offer this or at least I cannot figure that out.

Great White Sha...

Hopefully I'm not the only one reading this. It's very important! Most people had no idea that the products they were using that had micro beads in it have caused micro bead pollution in our Great Lakes and oceans and the fish are eating it. Now that many people know there are campaigns to end the use of plastic micro beads and many companies are fazing them out of their products thankfully.

Hopefully many people will read about the sunscreen chemicals that threaten the coral reefs and their will be enough people concerned enough to petition companies to take those chemicals out of their products.

We have the power to change so many things when we spread the word and become involved. It's posting like yours that brings awareness and sheds light on problems we have over looked. So thank you.

MrsBJLee's picture
MrsBJLee

MrsBJLee,

True, about comparing to the beads thing, great job. But when it comes to Earth & Beings Rights I never need any recognition for them. I do not do it for that, I do it ONLY for The Earth & Beings (most people do not want hear my putting all other Beings rights to survive over our species having more members born & surviving to overpopulation, let alone just our species members' wants) Rights. I will gladly stay in the background, being a activist, straight & cut to the bone/point communicator, so they stay more in foreground. My Challenges in Language Processing, Shyness, usually laid back & no longer willing to work with The Righties/Devils that in Capitalist Countries means compromising these rights away makes that a good idea.

Great White Sha...

What is a funny (can be nagging) & one of many ways to identify thing for determining if you have made some home-made a healthy & Earth & Beings Friendly sunscreen is when insects have a need to land on where put the sunscreen on. I did not even think of this, no one told me about this, so the first few times really caught me off guard. First couple of times, you are like that is just strange, not going to happen, again; until you make the connection. Without bubble bees, this a great thing for people who like nature.

So by all means I recommend everyone to make their own homemade, healthy sunscreens (with the help of these Internet articles.

Every time I ride my bicycle, I apply my sunscreen, on the bicycle rides that I stop (whether or not standing) some kind of insect starts crawling on me or flying around me trying find a part of my sunscreened skin to land on. Every time, when I am resting & laying down, the centipedes/millipedes (how could I tell which) & Rollypollies start crawling all over my sunscreened skin, I gently flick or pick them & place them away, they crawl right back. Sometimes the bubble bees arrive on the scene, keep hovering above my sunscreened skin, with me keep shoeing them away. Around that same time, a bubble bee actually found his/her way to inside my bicycle shorts (mother's gift) & stung me, I never found the bee, but found the stinger & of course the lump & soreness (of course, I survived, unlike the poor bubble bee).

Great White Sha...

America: Meet Your Overlord Rupert Murdoch...

Thom plus logo The main lesson that we've learned so far from the impeachment hearings is that if Richard Nixon had had a billionaire like Rupert Murdoch with a television network like Fox News behind him, he never would've resigned and America would have continued to be presided over by a criminal.