Why Are We Draining Hundreds Of Billions From Our Economy For Reducing Carbon Emissions?

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

12 posts / 0 new

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-great-haze-explainer-20151021-htmlstory.html

Fires in Southeast Asia may be emitting more greenhouse gases than the entire U.S.

DynoDon

Comments

Per capita they probably put out a lot less carbon than we do. China puts out more than the USA but we put out a lot more per capita,

Legend

Generally we rank somewhere from 3 - 8 per capita on most lists.

mjolnir's picture
mjolnir

Are you comparing the sane strategy of reducing carbon emissions in the US to an environmental crime? Or are you implying that it's useless to permanently reduce carbon now in the US at a bargain price because of a yearly event elsewhere that can be stopped?

Strong Vincent's picture
Strong Vincent

Because you've fallen for a complete scam; this is the liberal version, just like the conservative version falls for supply-side economics. This is all about funding the UN from U.S. taxpayers to employ their (& the globalists in general) installation of a 1-world government; and a population decrease to 500M isn't far behind.

KCRuger's picture
KCRuger

I find it odd that the US is even still having this debate. I live in Canada -- the land of the tar sands -- and people here just accept the fact that global warming is real and largely caused by human-made carbon emissions. Sure, there are conservatives who don't think we should do anything about it, but it's not treated as some one-world government UN concocted scam to take over the planet.

It's similar to guns. Canada has more guns per capita than the US, but we don't fetishize them or act like it's our God-given right to own killing devices, which probably explains why gun deaths are so much lower here. I find these cultural differences interesting, but I must say the rest of the world is looking at you in disbelief.

As for the "why do anything if we have no control over China" argument... it's total nonsense, like saying "why should I follow the rules in the driving manual when I see other motorists breaking them?"

There isn't enough time to rationalize with industry-paid shills / trolls and utterly ignorant people. It's time to ignore them and work around them. The science is sound. There's NO debate over whether global warming is real or whether it's caused by humans.

marriott79's picture
marriott79

Since air cannot be confined to a state or country, it seems impractical for 1 country to drain it's economy while another country negates it's efforts. It may feel good-but what is the practicality? Indonesia burns like this yearly.

DynoDon
Quote marriott79:Canada has more guns per capita than the US,
I assume the rest of your post is just as accurate as this.

stwo's picture
stwo
Quote DynoDon:

Since air cannot be confined to a state or country, it seems impractical for 1 country to drain it's economy while another country negates it's efforts. It may feel good-but what is the practicality? Indonesia burns like this yearly.

We have plenty of forest fires that effectively do the same thing. We do very little to manage our forests. I worked in South Korea and they do manage their forests.

Legend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

Simple to look it up.

Legend

Is this an argument for race to the bottom? Afterall, the gist of what is said is "their are others who spew far more CO2 than us so why should we 'waste' our money to be clean. We should be just as dirty as others..."

smilingcat

We should set an example for the rest of the world. Where China just set an example for the rest of the world with a Carbon Tax and a policy of inputting renewable energy into its grid prior to polluting sources. I should not have to remind you but I will about the health issues with this dirty air.

Legend

America: Meet Your Overlord Rupert Murdoch...

Thom plus logo The main lesson that we've learned so far from the impeachment hearings is that if Richard Nixon had had a billionaire like Rupert Murdoch with a television network like Fox News behind him, he never would've resigned and America would have continued to be presided over by a criminal.