Gun sales set another record

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

75 posts / 0 new

November 2015 alone, there were 2,243,030 background checks processed through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System. God bless American manufacturing. Added benefit, they all burn preferably American made ammo. Seven months in a row and counting.

Jobs, jobs, jobs.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

Comments

and the immature american public continues its phallic obsession.

big bird's picture
big bird

Can anyone think of something more (ANYTHING more) mindless than a collection of guns and ammo?

rs allen
Quote Dexterous:Jobs, jobs, jobs.

Jobs in ER rooms and medical billing?

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

All the more reason to elect a Deomocratic President. The economy is doing great. People have money to burn.

Legend
Quote big bird:

Since the percentage of families that own guns has been going down, the bulk of the sales are probably the same old Gun Nut extremists buying more guns. Of course, who says it doesn't include ISIS sympathizers creating arsenals?

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

I once knew someone (he's dead now) employed by an arms company..........he was connected if you get my drift. And even he didn't have a large arsenal. He understood there is only just so much that would be useful when push comes to shove (he was sane).

rs allen

Due to low fuel prices, the sales of fuel inefficient SUV's and pickups are extraordinarily high, as well. Undoubtedly, the oil companies and auto makers are laughing all the way to the bank......... I suspect the majority of these new pickup trucks probably have a loose (gun) nut behind the wheel.

organican's picture
organican

Do you have to get a background check every time you get a new gun? Or is your information stored in some database as "cleared to buy guns"?

I'm just wondering if that 2.2 million number is individual new gun owners, or individual gun purchases, or what....

ChicagoMatt

Matt: Filling out a form 4473 (federal background check) is a requirement for each individual firearm purchase from a FFL licensed dealer. As an individual, you have the right to sell or transfer a firearm to anyone that meets the criteria on form 4473. Failure to follow the rules is a felony and you the seller may be responsible for what that gun does for a minimum of one year from date of sale. It is always in your best interest to purchase from, and transfer or sell, using form 4473 and using a federally licensed dealer which removes you the seller from any future liability. The usual fee for this is approximately $20. It also offers protection to the buyer.

On form 4473, 10 factors can disqualify gun purchasers: a felony conviction, an arrest warrant, a documented drug problem or mental illness, undocumented immigration status, a dishonorable military discharge, a renunciation of U.S. citizenship, a restraining order, a history of domestic violence, or an indictment for any crime punishable by longer than one year of prison time.

Let me add, a great many cities and states have a requirement that will not allow the dealers to sell you a firearm unless you have a permit to purchase usually performed by your local sheriff or police department. Some states also have a waiting period of up to ten days - two weeks after the approved sale.

The 2.2 million that used form 4473 is a mix of new and existing firearm owners.

When you hear the number of households that own firearms is declining, ignore the source. Intelligent firearm owners will never acknowledge a firearm is in that household. I will tell you our training class student numbers will increase by 3 times in the upcoming months with one third of them being female first time gun owners.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote ChicagoMatt:

Do you have to get a background check every time you get a new gun? Or is your information stored in some database as "cleared to buy guns"?

The information about legal buyers is deleted from the system within 24 hours after a decision has been made.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-register-july-23-2004-on-...

This makes it virtually impossible to track down people who make multiple purchases hoping to later sell them on the black market such as at gun shows in unregulated states. Background check or not, a seller is prohibited from knowingly selling to someone on the prohibited persons list. But that just means the unscrupulous seller doesn't bother to ask... and often, as the Bloomberg sting proved, guns will be sold to someone who admits they probably could not pass a background check.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Dexterous:When you hear the number of households that own firearms is declining, ignore the source. Intelligent firearm owners will never acknowledge a firearm is in that household. I will tell you our training class student numbers will increase by 3 times in the upcoming months with one third of them being female first time gun owners.

TRANSLATION... ignore real studies and believe Dexie's anecdotes and predictions. Of course Dexie is stuck in his own contradiction.He claims people are lying. So did they tell the truth about gun ownership 30-40 years ago and just started to lie recently? According to this article https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/03/05/america-has-more-... families with a gun have declined from a high of around 55% in 1977ish to about 32%. So if we now have 123 million households @ 32% that's about 39 million households. http://www.statista.com/statistics/183635/number-of-households-in-the-us/ If in '77 we had 74 million households, 55% of that would be about 40 million/

If Dexie is claiming we still have 55% of households today own guns that'd be about 68 million. So Dexie is claiming what? 28 million households are lying? Does he have any proof? Dexie's never been big on backing up what he claims.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/politics/gun-ownership-declining/index.html

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Matt: As you know many here think they understand the laws but they only present half the story. I refuse to get into p pissing contest with the above responder and self appointed expert on everything. Here is the deal,

The form 4473, by law, for obvious reasons, cannot be computerized and recorded by the government, the actual form itself MUST be kept by the dealer for a period exceeding 20 years. If the dealer goes out of business, all their records are turned into the ATF who can only keep the hard copies. I am sure you have heard of police statements telling reporters the gun was or was not purchased legally. Tracking a gun used in a crime is done on a daily basis. The ATF does have far more control than you are led to believe.

That said in spite of continual ATF "sting operations" illegal sales do occur but the penalties are severe. Criminals will always find a way.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

So - I just want to make sure I understand correctly - if someone wanted to buy five guns at once, they would have to submit five background checks, and pay $20 for each one?

So that 2.2 million single-day record could, possibly, just be a few hundred thousand people, buying multiple guns?

I am just curious. I looked into buying a handgun once, but I'd have to get a FOID card, which requires a six-hour class, and if I ever do get six hours to do something away from my kids on a Saturday, I'd rather take a motorcycle license class.

Do you need a FOID card to purchase a gun at a gun show, or from a private seller?

ChicagoMatt

Has there every been any discussion in Congress about just taxing assault rifles out of existence? They did that with R-12 (freon), which gets air conditioners much colder than the current standard R-134, but is way worse for the environment. So now a small can of R-12 costs like $75, most of which is taxes, while a can of R-134 costs about $12. They did that with cigarettes too - taxed it to get people to stop using it, while not making it illegal.

ChicagoMatt

Just for the record a form 4473 takes about 5 minutes to clear. A terrible inconvenience for purchasing a weapon designed to kill humans. The time also is indicitive of its accuracy.

Legend
Quote Dexterous:Criminals will always find a way.

Criminals have a much easier time of finding guns because people like you oppose common sense gun control. The NRA signed on to background checks as long as they were "instant". In 1999 the NRA even signed on to expanded background checks to close the so called gunshow loophole.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-the-NRA-once-support-universal-background-... Maybe this video is edited... I can't find a transcript... but it certainly looks like the NRA finally was reasonable.

But when the NRA reversed its position as we see here https://www.nraila.org/issues/background-checksnics/ it's on the flimsiest of grounds. The study cited never established how guns entered the illegal market. And even when the NRA admits a major source of illegal guns are legal straw purchasers... it can't admit that the 24 hour destruction of records they insisted on... lets these buyers get away... unless the ATF audits FFL gun shops and compares records from other audits.

NRA opposes expanding background check systems at the federal or state level. Studies by the federal government show that people sent to state prison because of gun crimes typically get guns through theft, on the black market, or from family members or friends, and nearly half of illegally trafficked firearms originate with straw purchasers—people who can pass background checks, who buy guns for criminals on the sly. No amount of background checks can stop these criminals.

NRA also opposes gun registration. Expanding background check systems and allowing records to be kept on people who pass background checks to acquire guns would be steps toward transforming NICS into the national gun registry that gun control supporters have wanted for more than a hundred years.

The NRA lies. All that has to happen is to add straw purchasers to the "prohibited person" list. But clearly, the NRA does NOT support efforts to identify them.

The NRA has a history of sabotaging gun law enforcement

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/02/atf-gun-laws-nra?page=1

The NRA's positions make no sense UNLESS they really want more illegal firearms out on the street. That WOULD make sense if the NRA has become the promotional arm of the firearms industry. More criminals with guns sows fear and fear sells guns.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2013/03/does-nra-want-criminals-have-a...

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Legend:

Just for the record a form 4473 takes about 5 minutes to clear. A terrible inconvenience for purchasing a weapon designed to kill humans. The time also is indicitive of its accuracy.

So does a tax form 1040EZ. Are you saying government is incapable of managing the paperwork they themselves create?

hollygolightly's picture
hollygolightly
Quote ChicagoMatt:

So - I just want to make sure I understand correctly - if someone wanted to buy five guns at once, they would have to submit five background checks, and pay $20 for each one?

Yes, unless the buyer struck a special deal with the seller.

Quote ChicagoMatt:

So that 2.2 million single-day record could, possibly, just be a few hundred thousand people, buying multiple guns?

Yes

Quote ChicagoMatt:

I am just curious. I looked into buying a handgun once, but I'd have to get a FOID card, which requires a six-hour class, and if I ever do get six hours to do something away from my kids on a Saturday, I'd rather take a motorcycle license class.

I am a big fan of required training in order to be allowed to carry a firearm. Six hours to understand all the liabilities involved may not be enough. After you have met the purchase requirements you are legal to own and keep a firearm in your own home. You have kids and that is a whole different topic. Now you are needing a small, quick opening safe to prevent unauthorized access. More money.

BTW. I miss my bikes. I owned a half dozen over the years and finally realized it was time to hang it up. Too many distracted drivers on the roads.

Quote ChicagoMatt:

Do you need a FOID card to purchase a gun at a gun show, or from a private seller?

Illinois laws are strict and very new. You may do yourself a favor and have a long talk with the owner of a gun store to answer your questions accurately.

Your last question in post #15; Taxing has always been the answer. Good luck with all that.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote hollygolightly:
Quote Legend:

So does a tax form 1040EZ. Are you saying government is incapable of managing the paperwork they themselves create?

People do not die if a 1040EZ is not accurate.

Legend

Keeping it a secret that there be guns near by seems to violate their big gun free zones encourage criminals meme. Saying there are guns aplenty inside ought to offer protection by discouraging criminals that don't visit gun required zones according to the bull shit gun nuts and fox nuts spout daily. So guns are now top secret for gun nuts and new parents with kids the same age as those of a gun nut might want to know if the gun nut's toddlers or youngsters have access to them, does the gun nut keep them locked? Or is he hoping to be a stat that has the toddlers killing more people than the police one year. Since it's a secret and the NRA bumper sticker says otherwise, any rational parent knows his kids would be at risk of getting shot if playing at the gun nut's house with the gun nut's kids who play with the gun nut's guns.

An instructor was killed by a 10 year old girl wielding an Uzi at the shooting range. The instructer's family said they were happy he died doing what he loved, and it wasn't the gun's fault. So his memorial had speakers praising Uzis and Glocks and how in gun heaven those guns melted in buybacks are empty voices suffering as those condemned to hell do.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote Dexterous:I am a big fan of required training in order to be allowed to carry a firearm. Six hours to understand all the liabilities involved may not be enough. After you have met the purchase requirements you are legal to own and keep a firearm in your own home.

So does this mean that you oppose loose gun purchase laws in other states that don't require training? What measures do you support to keep legal guns from entering the illegal market? Do you support or oppose mandatory background checks for ALL now legal gun purchases such as at gun shows? Should government build up a data base of those who legally buy multiple guns as possible traffickers? Just wondering where your apparent appreciation of government limits on gun purchases starts and ends.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote douglaslee:An instructor was killed by a 10 year old girl wielding an Uzi at the shooting range. The instructer's family said they were happy he died doing what he loved, and it wasn't the gun's fault.
A few years back an 8 year old shot himself with an Uzi at a gun fair.

"It's all legal & fun — No permits or licenses required!!!!"

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/27399337/ns/us_news-life/t/boy-accidentally-ki...

I'm sure the 8 year old's parents felt the same as that instructor's family and praised guns at his funeral.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Dexterous:
Quote ChicagoMatt:

Yes, unless the buyer struck a special deal with the seller.

Quote ChicagoMatt:

Yes

Quote ChicagoMatt:

I am a big fan of required training in order to be allowed to carry a firearm. Six hours to understand all the liabilities involved may not be enough. After you have met the purchase requirements you are legal to own and keep a firearm in your own home. You have kids and that is a whole different topic. Now you are needing a small, quick opening safe to prevent unauthorized access. More money.

BTW. I miss my bikes. I owned a half dozen over the years and finally realized it was time to hang it up. Too many distracted drivers on the roads.

Quote ChicagoMatt:

Illinois laws are strict and very new. You may do yourself a favor and have a long talk with the owner of a gun store to answer your questions accurately.

Your last question in post #15; Taxing has always been the answer. Good luck with all that.

Dex, why didn't you tell him keeping a gun around only increases the odds of something bad happening? Why didn't you tell him that he faces a far greater danger than a home invasion every day he gets in the car to go where ever both personally and to his family if they happen to be in the car at the same time? Why didn't you explain if he wanted to increase exponentially his existential risk that the motorcycle was a good way to go about it? Why dex do you perpetuate the wild west mentality?

rs allen
Quote rs allen:

Dex, why don't you tell him keeping a gun around only increases the odds of something bad happening? Why didn't you tell him that he faces a far greater danger than a home invasion every day he gets in the car to go where ever both personally and to his family if they happen to be in the car at the same time? Why didn't you explain if he wanted to increase exponentially his existential risk that the motorcycle was a good way to go about it? Why dex do you perpetuate the wild west mentality?

An easy answer,

I feel Chicago Matt is intelligent enough to make decisions for himself and not fall into the fountain of misinformation that pours out of Thom Hartmann on a topic he has absolutely no knowledge of, and is spoon fed his gun rants directly from one of Michael Bloomberg's websites.

As far as the rest of his followers who bask in his tripe? Based on the apparent shallow pool of callers, I do not worry they have the power to change a quarter.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

I work part time at a Gun Store. There are so many Green Card holders buying handguns and AR-15 style rifles it is amazing. The "percentages" may be lowered, which I certainly do not expereince but maybe it's because there are so many people flooding into this country. And besides, many people can't afford a well-made gun and that keeps the poor from being able to protect themselves. But as soon as they get some extra cash, it's to the Glock Store they head.

Be Brave's picture
Be Brave

So you do not have to be a USA citizen to pruchase a gun? Background checks do not cover other countries.

Legend
Quote Legend:

So you do not have to be a USA citizen to pruchase a gun? Background checks do not cover other countries.

You wouldn't want to disenfranchise all those Democrat voters from gun ownership would you?

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/ffl-ti...

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote Be Brave:

I work part time at a Gun Store. There are so many Green Card holders buying handguns and AR-15 style rifles it is amazing. The "percentages" may be lowered, which I certainly do not expereince but maybe it's because there are so many people flooding into this country.

Any of those green card people look like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfj7OxwDIU4

Welcome to the forum BTW.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Dexterous:
Quote Legend:

You wouldn't want to disenfranchise all those Democrat voters from gun ownership would you?

Another of your baseless claims that non-citizens vote Democratic? I think you're making the case that before someone can buy a deadly weapon, they should have to pass some psychological screening test to demonstrate they have some minimal connection to reality.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Dexterous:I feel Chicago Matt is intelligent enough to make decisions for himself and not fall into the fountain of misinformation that pours out of Thom Hartmann on a topic he has absolutely no knowledge of, and is spoon fed his gun rants directly from one of Michael Bloomberg's websites.
PKB. I agree that Thom's claims often are not true or make sense. And I've certainly called him on it in this forum. I'm still waiting for YOU to prove YOU have any integrity by criticizing anything nutty right wingers say. But I won't hold my breath. It's clear you believe your crap smells like chocolate.

People who live in glass houses...

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Dexterous:
Quote rs allen:

Dex, why don't you tell him keeping a gun around only increases the odds of something bad happening? Why didn't you tell him that he faces a far greater danger than a home invasion every day he gets in the car to go where ever both personally and to his family if they happen to be in the car at the same time? Why didn't you explain if he wanted to increase exponentially his existential risk that the motorcycle was a good way to go about it? Why dex do you perpetuate the wild west mentality?

An easy answer,

I feel Chicago Matt is intelligent enough to make decisions for himself and not fall into the fountain of misinformation that pours out of Thom Hartmann on a topic he has absolutely no knowledge of, and is spoon fed his gun rants directly from one of Michael Bloomberg's websites.

As far as the rest of his followers who bask in his tripe? Based on the apparent shallow pool of callers, I do not worry they have the power to change a quarter.

Dex, that answer doesn't come anywhere close to what I asked or pointed out about what WEAPONS DO do in ones life. Nor does that answer broach what they can not be or ever expected to be. As someone who touts they are among the educators to the mass that doesn't know the difference between a single action and a gas operated semi isn't it your job to explain just how heavy the weight really is in owning and keeping a weapon of any kind?

Keeping a weapon does not open up some golden sun lit green pasture of freedom. Far from it they make ones horizons much shallower and darker.

rs allen
Quote ulTRAX:
Quote Dexterous:
Quote Legend:

Another of your baseless claims that non-citizens vote Democratic? I think you're making the case that before someone can buy a deadly weapon, they should have to pass some psychological screening test to demonstrate they have some minimal connection to reality.

This is one reason that I have many times said that taking the MMPI should be a requirement for purchasing a gun. A background check on someone that is from another country has very little accuracy. We do not control the standards in other countries. It is bad enough doing one here as the person may have plea bargained an assualt down to a minor offense. Or have commited a crime the day before that has not hit the records because the case is not closed.

Legend

Keeping in mind political correctness is of the upmost importance to those of the progressive cult (kudo's to Dexterous), in how many languages should the tests be printed?

hollygolightly's picture
hollygolightly
Quote Legend:This is one reason that I have many times said that taking the MMPI should be a requirement for purchasing a gun. A background check on someone that is from another country has very little accuracy. We do not control the standards in other countries. It is bad enough doing one here as the person may have plea bargained an assualt down to a minor offense. Or have commited a crime the day before that has not hit the records because the case is not closed.

Mother Jones created a data base on mass shootings... though I think the at least 4 dead definition is somewhat arbitrary. I'd use number of dead and wounded...

You can read more here

http://www.thomhartmann.com/forum/2015/12/mass-shootings-database-1982-2015

If about 85% of these shooters bought weapons legally, and yet the large majority showed signs of mental illness... then I'm beginning to agree with you that some psychological test is necessary. After all, just look at how detatched from reality the gun nuts here are.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote hollygolightly:

Keeping in mind political correctness is of the upmost importance to those of the progressive cult (kudo's to Dexterous), in how many languages should the tests be printed?

ROTF... as if the right doesn't have it's own version of what's PC... let's see...

More guns will solve the problems caused by having too many guns,

All tax cuts designed to slash revenue create revenue booms

The Second Amendment is all about individual self defense even if it says it's all about well regulated militias.

There's a war on Christmas even if one can't escape the madness starting right after Thanksgiving.

Stores that say happy holidays instead of Merry Xmas must be boycotted.

Bush and Wall St were not responsible for crashing the economy in 2008... Jimmy Carter was.

Obama is incompetent because he didn't clean up the 2008 mess fast enough.

etc etc...

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote ulTRAX:
Quote big bird:

Since the percentage of families that own guns has been going down, the bulk of the sales are probably the same old Gun Nut extremists buying more guns.

There's no doubt about it. As you say, the percentage of households that have guns has been declining for years now. But violence-obsessed people with overactive amygdalas have been stockpiling.

Garrett78's picture
Garrett78

Even Paul Ryan agrees with me. Of course he has no solutions. Has a Republican ever had a solution. Reagan got rid of mental hospitals. Not to blame Reagan.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/01/politics/paul-ryan-colorado-shooting-menta...

MMPI is currently in 5 languages.

Legend
Quote Legend:

Reagan got rid of mental hospitals. Not to blame Reagan.

Thom's made that last claim... and I since I worked in the field... I had to disagree it was Reagan's doing. There was a large patients rights movement to close institutions because they were warehouses, were "teaching" institutional instead of normalized behaviors, and they were not the least restrictive settings: http://www.thomhartmann.com/bigpicture/caller-why-thom-always-blaming-reagan

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Legend:

and,

the California drivers handbook is published in,

English.
Armenian.
Spanish.
Chinese.
Korean.
Vietnamese.
Tagalog.
Russian.
Punjabi.
Farsi.
American Sign Language (video)

Which segment of the worlds population do you choose to disenfranchise?

hollygolightly's picture
hollygolightly
Quote hollygolightly:Which segment of the worlds population do you choose to disenfranchise?

Isn't the more relevant question how many more PREVENTABLE robberies, rapes, shootings and deaths are YOU willing to allow just because YOU don't want common sense gun regulations?

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote hollygolightly:

[quote=Legend]

and,

English.
Armenian.
Spanish.
Chinese.
Korean.
Vietnamese.
Tagalog.
Russian.
Punjabi.
Farsi.

[/quote

Form 4473 background check is in English and Spanish only. Do you chose to complain about that?

Legend

Like I said Holly, Paul Ryan agrees with me. Of course he is actually a hunter. Real sportsment tend to agree with gun laws. It is the gun nuts that do not.

Legend

Great thing that gun makers can't advertise their wares on the idiot box. Even the Koch brothers couldn't get Fox to squeeze in a few extra few minutes for them to advertise their Bounty paper towel rolls.

Steven.PBarrett
Quote Legend:
Quote hollygolightly:

[quote=Legend]

and,

English.
Armenian.
Spanish.
Chinese.
Korean.
Vietnamese.
Tagalog.
Russian.
Punjabi.
Farsi.

[/quote

Form 4473 background check is in English and Spanish only. Do you chose to complain about that?

It looks like you are dodging her question.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote Steven.PBarrett:

Great thing that gun makers can't advertise their wares on the idiot box. Even the Koch brothers couldn't get Fox to squeeze in a few extra few minutes for them to advertise their Bounty paper towel rolls.

It looks like the Television banning gun ads has had a positive effect. Gun violence is nearly cut in half over the last 25 years with millions and millions more firearms in the publics hands.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote Dexterous:It looks like you are dodging her question.

Since when has Hit & Run Holly ever ANSWERED anyone else's questions?

Shall we monitor your posts to see how consistent you are in this matter?

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Dexterous:
Quote Steven.PBarrett:

It looks like the Television banning gun ads has had a positive effect. Gun violence is nearly cut in half over the last 25 years with millions and millions more firearms in the publics hands.

Gee... and the drop in crime rates began right after Congress passed background checks too and when states started to pass three strike laws.

Since when are guns in the hand of sane, emotionally mature, law abiding people a problem? If a sane, emotionally mature, law abiding has 20-30 guns... that hardly matters compared to a single gun in the hands of a criminal, a jihadist, or a person with a serious mental illness.

So what's wrong with doing what we can to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, jihadists, or persons with a serious mental illness. Oh, that's right... Gun Nuts would rather leave loopholes open so criminals, jihadists, or persons with a serious mental illness can get guns and insist everyone ELSE be armed to protect themselves. What was once an Archie Bunker laugh line has become the norm for Gun Nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lDb0Dn8OXE

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX
Quote Dexterous:
Quote Legend:
Quote hollygolightly:

[quote=Legend]

and,

English.
Armenian.
Spanish.
Chinese.
Korean.
Vietnamese.
Tagalog.
Russian.
Punjabi.
Farsi.

[/quote

It looks like you are dodging her question.

Not avoiding it at all. I told her that the MMPI is currently in 5 languages. I also pointed out that The form 4473 is in 2 languages. If you are going to compare the CA driver liscense test then register your guns, pay an annual registration fee, insure your guns, have a visible number on your guns, pass a proficiency test and have relicensing to use your guns every 5 years. Just like the CA driving laws.

Legend
Quote ulTRAX:
Quote Dexterous:

Gee... and the drop in crime rates began right after Congress passed background checks too and when states started to pass three strike laws.

Form 4473 was part of the gun control act of 1968.

Overall crime increased from then until the mid to late 1990's, which by some mere coincidence, was when most states started issuing carry permits.

Understand, I will not engage you in one of your multiple little hissy fit arguments that you push for and squabble over with a couple of posters that love to pull your chain. Arguing with an overly opinionated individual that is afraid of gun is a waste of time for everyone.

If Hartmann had any balls at all he would persue and pay if necessary, any of a dozen experts in the field who present exact FBI or CDC numbers to make their case. Hartmann would also have to shut his over talking mouth and let them refute his questions with FACTS, not Michael Bloomberg's made up numbers. That exchange will never happen because it would require an hour long segment and Hartmann's ego it far too large and he could never dig himself out of the hole he dug for himself .

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote Legend:

Not avoiding it at all. I told her that the MMPI is currently in 5 languages. I also pointed out that The form 4473 is in 2 languages. If you are going to compare the CA driver liscense test then register your guns, pay an annual registration fee, insure your guns, have a visible number on your guns, pass a proficiency test and have relicensing to use your guns every 5 years. Just like the CA driving laws.

My guns all have a visible number on them. In accordance with the law. Owning one with an altered or defaced numberis a felony. (examples of why most here who have no knowledge of existing gun laws should refrain from showing their ignorance over and over again).

I pass regular proficiency tests. In accordance with the law.

I have permits valid in over thirty states that require them, along with varying renewal lengths of time in accordance with the law.

My guns are insured.

My guns are recorded on form 4473 (mine are in english) with their place of purchase in accordance with the law.

The US Fish and Wildlife Service says sportsmen generate $882 million annually in tax revenues which is redistributed in all 50 states for conservation. (you know, the green initive).

Now, your job is to convince the courts that drivers licensing is a "right" not a "privilege".

Then, we can discuss why I suddenly sold all my guns and why you hate everyone except those that speak Spanish or English.

Things for you to ponder before you reply. Give me a law not already on the books in California that would have prevented the shootings by the two Islamic extremists in San Bernardino, California.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

Trump and His Billionaire Buddies Plot to Destroy Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid

Thom plus logo Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are officially in the crosshairs of the Trump administration, and they intend to go after them this year.