The Poor Get Polluted

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

10 posts / 0 new

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-port-pollution-20151215-story.html

The Port of L.A. rolled back measures to cut pollution -- during its 'green' expansion

DynoDon

Comments

Flint Michigan just infected their population with lead from the Flint river. The caustic component of the Flint pollution also wiped all the protective coatings from their water supply pipes meaning even lead free water now leaches lead from the pipes installed pre-lead awareness and post sealant treatment. However, only poor black kids are now suffering from lead poisoning and mental impairment, so American Exceptionalism is secure!

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

The lead did not come from the Flint River. Flint's goverment didnt look at the pH of the river water as compared to the water they used to buy from Detroit. The lead concentrations are no higher in black housholds than other households. You really dont understand this stuff very well.

stwo's picture
stwo

Cut him some slack. Swedes are well known for getting things f*&#*d up.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

My point was these these transportation corridors always run thru lower income areas-not Beverly Hills. Numerous studies have shown higher rates of lung and cancer issues associated with the pollution from the trucks, ships and trains.

DynoDon

The guv of Michigan would be all over this if it was Grosse Pointe.

Combad57's picture
Combad57

Snyder is ponying up $6 million to try to mitigate Flint's major f- up.

stwo's picture
stwo

While Gov Brown is overseas touting about pollution and climate change-he does nothing about this in his own state.

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/massive-gas-leak-california/

DynoDon
Quote DynoDon:

My point was these these transportation corridors always run thru lower income areas-not Beverly Hills. Numerous studies have shown higher rates of lung and cancer issues associated with the pollution from the trucks, ships and trains.

The port should be brought into in compliance- Most state environmental enforcement is weak. Evironmental regs are strong- they'll pass anything- but typically enforcement is weak, IMO. AS for the "World ends, poor hit hardest." angle- I bet the poor moved to the port, not the other way around. Lots of jobs at international ports.

stwo's picture
stwo

I thought Flint was majority black and a poor city since GM pulled out. My bad for misrepresenting a rich white community.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

We Know How Far Trump Will Go - How Far Will Republicans Go?

Thom plus logo Colonel Vindman's testimony pretty much proves that Trump was trying to shake down Ukraine for information on Biden, and that the Republicans are doing everything they can to cover up this extortion attempt.