Virginia Tech's live report on Flint MI

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

9 posts / 0 new

Watch Virginia Tech's Flint Water Study team present on Flint water crisis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHE5ny0MBg

These professors and students presented facts of this case. But you cannot ignore the facts that most all Repubilcans deny scientific data on global warming. Most all Republicans have publicly propossed the elimination of the EPA. Most Republicans say EPA/environmental rules "hurt" business and most all Republcian states have eliminated many many environmental regulations in the name attracking "immoral" Corporations to their states. Most Republicans want to revoke the Endangered Species Act which will allow more Coroporate pollution and then more Flint MI cases... The Corporate Media fosters this spiral downturn into evil by not reporting the truth to the American people. But when the Cororate Media is only concerned with Corporate Profits, what would you expect?

These criminals will be put in prison under a Sanders Admin!

Feel The Prison Bern!

dArKeR's picture
dArKeR

Comments

Quote dArKeR:... most all Repubilcans deny scientific data on global warming.
Wrong

Quote dArKeR:Most all Republicans have publicly propossed the elimination of the EPA.
wrong

Quote dArKeR:Most Republicans say EPA/environmental rules "hurt" business
Nope

Quote dArKeR:...most all Republcian states have eliminated many many environmental regulations
make that eliminated NO environmental regs

Quote dArKeR:Most Republicans want to revoke the Endangered Species Act [quote]Nope

[quote=dArKeR]...which will allow more Coroporate pollution and then more Flint MI cases...

I have to watch that video again, I missed the part that explained the Flint situation was related to the endangered species act

Quote dArKeR:These criminals will be put in prison under a Sanders Admin!
Unfortunately, you're not likely to find out

stwo's picture
stwo
dArKeR:... most all Repubilcans deny scientific data on global warming.

stwo: Wrong

Don't be a troll stewie...

GOP Congressman Goes on a Climate Science Fishing Expedition
Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, is a flat-out 100 percent global warming denier. He has made that very clear, writing embarrassingly wrong op-eds for the Wall Street Journal and engaging in Orwellian claims about climate science and politics. It’s clear he’s not a huge fan of politically independent science in general; for example he wants to gut peer-review in the National Science Foundation’s choices on what research to fund (instead, only allowing those that are politically approved).

Congratulations, Voters. You Just Made This Climate Denier
the Most Powerful Senator on the Environment.
Inhofe claimed in 2003 that global warming might help humanity. “It's also important to question whether global warming is even a problem for human existence. Thus far no one has seriously demonstrated any scientific proof that increased global temperatures would lead to the catastrophes predicted by alarmists. In fact, it appears that just the opposite is true: that increases in global temperatures may have a beneficial effect on how we live our lives.”

House Science Committee
Survival of the Unfit

dArKeR:Most all Republicans have publicly propossed the elimination of the EPA.

stwo: wrong

GOP Gone Wild: Next Target EPA in a Very Big Way
Gov. Chris Christie, another favorite among Tea Party loyalists, has said the Highlands Water Protection and Planning Act, which preserves more than 800,000 acres of open land that supplies drinking water to more than half of New Jersey’s residents, is an infringement on property rights.

G.O.P. Push in States to Deregulate Environment
Weeks after he was sworn in as governor of Maine, Paul LePage, a Tea Party favorite, announced a 63-point plan to cut environmental regulations, including opening three million acres of the North Woods for development and suspending a law meant to monitor toxic chemicals that could be found in children’s products.

Another Tea Party ally, Gov. Rick Scott of Florida, has proposed eliminating millions of dollars in annual outlays for land conservation as well as cutting to $17 million the $50 million allocated in last year’s budget for the restoration of the dwindling Everglades.

And in North Carolina, where Republicans won control of both houses of the Legislature for the first time in 140 years, leaders recently proposed a budget that would cut operating funds to the state’s Department of Environment and Natural Resources by 22 percent.

In the past month, the nation’s focus has been on the budget battle in Washington, where Republicans in Congress aligned with the Tea Party have fought hard for rollbacks to the Environmental Protection Agency, clean air and water regulations, renewable energy and other conservation programs.

dArKeR: Most Republicans say EPA/environmental rules "hurt" business

stwo: Nope

Republican Party on Environment
Republicans know that economic prosperity is essential to environmental progress. We link the security of private property to our environmental agenda because environmental stewardship has been best advanced where property is privately held. People who own the land also protect it. Republicans will safeguard private property rights by enforcing the Takings Clause of the Fifth Amendment and by providing just compensation whenever private property is needed to achieve a compelling public purpose.

Privatize? They can't be trusted to follow regulations, so by removing the regulations they won't pollute? Foolish Trolls, tsk tsk tsk...

Koch-Owned Georgia-Pacific Environmental Crimes

Cheney's Legacy of Fracking America to Death
It Can't Happen Heeere
Halliburton Watch: fracturing Americans 1949 - ?

Do you want to learn the truth about factory farming

Yucca Mountain still alive under GOP nuke plan

Hemp 'Eats' Chernobyl Waste

Mountaintop removal mining (MTR)

The G.O.P.’s Myopia on Coal

... and daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away
The coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well, they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man. J Prine

dArKeR:...most all Republcian states have eliminated many many environmental regulations

stwo: make that eliminated NO environmental regs

Corporate Predators... 1999

Today’s unfolding Environmental Atrocities
"...somebody has to take governments' place,
and business seems to me to be a logical entity to do it."

- David Rockefeller - Newsweek International, Feb 1 1999.

The IMF Corporate Welfare Machine

Corporate Supreme Authority over the Environment

Wal-Mart and the Strip-Mining of America

dArKeR: Most Republicans want to revoke the Endangered Species Act

stwo: Nope

A List of George Bush's Major Accomplishments
Eliminated legal threats for impacted species
by gutting the Endangered Species Act;

The Republican Plan to Dismantle the Endangered Species Act
.Over the past few months, Republican members of Congress have been attempting to systematically dismantle the Endangered Species Act (ESA) through dozens of legislative proposals. They say the ESA has been abused and is no longer an effective way to protect our vulnerable plants and animals, but some environmental groups say this erosion of the ESA will put species at more risk than we’ve seen in decades.

Endangered Species Act

☛ Republican-dominated Congress is considering rewriting it,
☛ Bush administration said it was committed to encouraging voluntary conservation.

Quote dArKeR:...which will allow more Coroporate pollution and then more Flint MI cases...

stwo: I have to watch that video again, I missed the part that explained the Flint situation was related to the endangered species act

Richard Dale Snyder is an American politician, business executive, venture capitalist, and accountant. He is the 48th and current Governor of Michigan. A member of the Republican Party, he assumed office as governor on January 1, 2011.

'There are no excuses'

Bernie Sanders calls for resignation of
Michigan GOP Gov. Rick Snyder
amid Flint water crisis.

.'Don’t Send Water'
Michael Moore Laid Out the Painful Truths
About Flint in This Letter

"You cannot reverse the irreversible brain damage
that has been inflicted upon every single child in Flint.

Cannabis Blocks Irreversible Brain Damage
Cannabis Prevents Brain Damage
Using Pot To Save Brains!

dArKeR:These criminals will be put in prison under a Sanders Admin!

stwo: Unfortunately, you're not likely to find out

Noam Chomsky: January 26, 2016
Why the Republican Party Is a Threat to Human Survival
Sanders has the best policies; GOP must be stopped at all costs.

Don't worry dArKeR,
GOPers have no clue that they have no clue.
Keeps them pacified.

Where are all the Taxbaggers and Norquest?

Pushed by the GOP most one track minds follow or be shamed and shunned or worse. Voting for Republicans or Corporate wing of the DNC. Wasserface and Hillzy. The white kids are hungry, living on school lunches republicans want to cut, or consider ketchup as a vegetable. Twinkles?

GOP selling out the Good ole Boys
still serving the multinational neocon corporatists…

Facts About Hunger and Poverty

Poverty can lower your IQ,
Almost All Rural Whites are In Poverty

Drug mishandling may have tainted 40,000 cases

A Displaced and Discarded Labor Force

DdC's picture
DdC

Anecdotes -- pfft...

No question some Republicans think and want what DaRkEr wrote-- but DARkEr wrote "most" and "all" and even "most all" (whatever that means)

stwo's picture
stwo

Coward. Republicans are on record and not ashamed of gutting the EPA, and then when confronted. Just say no? Have the guts to stand up for your party or condemn them, but this denial crap is childish and boring. Same as the drug worrier liars and hypocrites changing their tune when the profits started rolling in. Sitting back for decades while Americans are persecuted. Jailing sick people. Scum of the earth. The GOP is the party of money. Cutting environmental protection, military expansion, outsourcing jobs and big bucks caging people. Pushing the drug war since Nixon. Not without appeasers and DNC cowards. Who also hide when confronted.

Or more than likely try sneaking laws in without public knowledge. Or sitting on them so they never see the light of day. Your semantics are as goofy as your agenda. You're saying not all republicans follow the party line? Then why the hell are they republicans? No guts. Like all the KKK weren't for segregation. They just didn't have the wherewithall to speak up against it eh? If individuals don't agree with the party, then they should speak up or leave the party. The party line is all republicans as a collective, not some or most or a few. 100% who vote republican, vote against workers, the impoverished, including caucasians and the environment. Risking their own kids health over a paycheck or profits. Wake up.

DdC's picture
DdC

Jee zus Fcuk! Smokey Slit Eyes says Imma Coward. LOL

My party-- LOL

My Agenda LOL Show me anywhere i write about my agenda is. YOu dont know what I believe.

What the hell makes you think I dont also ridicule idiots on right wing web sites.

I made fun of DaRKeR's hyperbole- nothing else-- its you and other ideological hacks around here that project my beliefs onto my user name-- I have taken no political positions here.

Pack a bowl and simma down D. I don't defend the Republican party-- I'm enjoying watching it burn to the ground. The Dmeocratic party though-- I marvel at how well they have their idiot sheep trained. It's impressive.

stwo's picture
stwo

U forgot to emphasize in bold and include at least a dozen links, most of which support the theory that living in a daze will still get you through life.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous
Quote dArKeR:

Watch Virginia Tech's Flint Water Study team present on Flint water crisis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVHE5ny0MBg

These professors and students presented facts of this case. But you cannot ignore the facts that most all Repubilcans deny scientific data on global warming. Most all Republicans have publicly propossed the elimination of the EPA. Most Republicans say EPA/environmental rules "hurt" business and most all Republcian states have eliminated many many environmental regulations in the name attracking "immoral" Corporations to their states. Most Republicans want to revoke the Endangered Species Act which will allow more Coroporate pollution and then more Flint MI cases... The Corporate Media fosters this spiral downturn into evil by not reporting the truth to the American people. But when the Cororate Media is only concerned with Corporate Profits, what would you expect?

These criminals will be put in prison under a Sanders Admin!

Feel The Prison Bern!

You've introduced an important current environmental issue that has broad implications, both to our common concerns about our health and welfare and to our current, heavily neoliberal-influenced political process. It's a subject worthy of our attention. Kudos for that.

The presentation you've shared is a bit long and tedious, but well worth the time for anyone who hasn't been following the progress of this institutional failure to the well being of the people of Flint. It does address the issues once I get past all the academic courtly gestures in its introduction.

I've been trying to have sensible, reasonable conversations about these very serious issues on Thom's boards since I first started posting on them almost twelve years ago to the day (Feb 4, 2004). If reasonableness is what you want to achieve in a thread, I think you can see that the team of right wingers who guard this environmental forum -- unmitigated by any attentive moderating, I might add, so that must be taken into account in any effort to attempt reasonableness -- have pulled your mistakes out of your OP and shown them to us. The topic quickly deteriorates from the excellent presentation of the results of a study you invite us to watch and hear (Lead, Legionella, Leaks) to, well, the usual personal aspersions that stimulate interpersonal squabbling, which many people I know personally who no longer bother to post here find revolting.

If you truly want to have this discussion, I'd be happy to help you revive it. I can easily find plenty of real ammunition to throw at the politicians and bureaucrats involved. But we simply must avoid making broad generalities about groups of people stated in dogmatic tautologies. Those will only serve to open the provocation floodgates of infinite diversion. If that's all you want, that's what you will get. Because any casual observer can notice those personal provocations are exactly what the conservative contrarians Thom seemingly nurtures on this site sit back waiting to see in a post. They are like flies to the shit. There will be no discussion once they find it. If you don't know what that means, I'd be more than happy to go into it in greater depth.

Some additional links with background information for the serious-minded:

Guide to FlintWaterStudy.org

RAPID proposal grant from the National Science Foundation for the Virginia Tech team

RAPID grants are “used for proposals having a severe urgency…., including quick-response research on natural or anthropogenic disasters and similar unanticipated events.”

Virginia Tech press release from Sept, 2014

.ren's picture
.ren
Quote .ren:

[... unmitigated by any attentive moderating, I might add, ....

Hear, hear.

stwo's picture
stwo

We Know How Far Trump Will Go - How Far Will Republicans Go?

Thom plus logo Colonel Vindman's testimony pretty much proves that Trump was trying to shake down Ukraine for information on Biden, and that the Republicans are doing everything they can to cover up this extortion attempt.