Hartmann Report Site

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

7 posts / 0 new

It doesn't seem to use the same user database as this site does. That can cause problems with username hijacking.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

Comments

I would definitely agree that would be a very bad oversight. Shouldn't be that hard to put the same user database there.

captbebops's picture
captbebops
Quote captbebops:

I would definitely agree that would be a very bad oversight. Shouldn't be that hard to put the same user database there.

Not that anyone here would stoop so low as to counterfeit another person's name from here and post with it there... [eyes roll] but wasn't the chat room, a place I haven't used for 6-8 years... connected to the same user database as the old Eve forums? I see to recall both being connected... then not.. or visa versa.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

However it is seems to be Thom's attempt to create a news aggregator like Drudge. I looked at it a little but didn't notice right away any way to comment other than to post comments on the sites linked too and you can't just have one account for that. Some will use Livewyre, others Facebook (I hate that) and maybe some Disqus.

captbebops's picture
captbebops

Thom, you just discussed it, On Line Voting is different than banking because of the need for a secret ballot. How do you provide secrecy and accountablilty?

I suggest as an excellent guest on this topic Professor J. Alex Halderman, Professor of Computer Security at Michigan, who teaches a Coursera Course on "Safeguarding Digital Democracy". I took this course a little over a year ago, and it was very illuminating. I suggest you get the companion book (or e-Book), and have him as a guest. He and his students participated in a test to determine the secutity of On-Line voting for overseas troops, and it only took them a couple of hours to break into the "Secure Server", hack the vote, play the Michigan State Fight Song everytime a vote was switched, and cause Aaron Burr to win the election. He calls Internet voting - "VOTING FOR VIRUSES!"

https://www.coursera.org/learn/digital-democracy

http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/news/stories/2010/october/resea...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/10/25/voting.system.flaws/

Mystic's picture
Mystic

I have to apologize for my lack of knowledge of this word program. I tried to edit my last submission but it wouldn't let me. I'll be more careful in the future.

Seebisdina's picture
Seebisdina

Really? Well I'll start over -----

I've just become aware of yet another - self-righteous "human" who felt behooved to create - yet another "Public Records Access" website.

Recently Pres. Obama pushed to order businesses to "Remove the Box" from employment applications. All of us on the streets KNOW this was a waste of time and simple LIP-SERVICE!

ALL substantive employers have had subscriptions to one or more of these "so-called" public records access wbesites. WE KNOW that some poorly paid - but employed - HR person runs EVERY NEW APPLICATION through one of these public records search. The employer and/or HR manager often get hundreds or thousands of applications. Their excuse is two fold: 1 - is "to save time" by pre-screening "potential employees" and 2 - is to "remove potential liability individuals" that c/would pose a liability risk to the company. Rather than appoint extra help to this poor HR person, it's to easy to fill the circular-file/shredder.

I've been a victim of this and KNOW other ex-convicts that experienced the same thing over and over again. We've observed being passed over for promotion or lesser skilled people getting our jobs. These PR Websites have somehow managed to "steal" access to every courthouse in the country to wreck people's lives and summarily sentence anyone in these public records to a life time sentence to a menial existence, poor housing and - in the end(?) recidivism. A small subset (ex-sex offenders) at risk of persecution, assaults and even murder!

The spirit of this law "Access to Public Records" MEANS you must get off your butts and go to the courthouse and submit A request for someone's record. The court clerk first asks one question: "What is the purpose of your request?" and there is a short list of acceptible answers the clerk wants to hear. Potential employment isn't on this list unless: you are a bank, security, sensitive government agency (police, FBI, etc.) or child care / education. If not? you don't get the records. The clerk is protecting people's expected right to privacy from people who only want to snoop and snitch.

These websites all - are acting unconstitutional to invade our privacy and frankly - those people who actually NEED to have SOME protections.

Seebisdina's picture
Seebisdina

Prison for Miscarriages?

Thom plus logo Mike Pence's and the GOP's war on women took a sinister turn this week when Planned Parenthood was forced to abandon Title X funding; they can no longer get payment for serving low income women for cancer screenings and STD treatments.