How to make football unnecessary to get out of the ghetto.

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

Simple response to the argument that football is necessary as a means of getting out of the ghetto: Bernie's proposal to make college tuition free! If community and State colleges were free, there would be no need for high school students to rely on academic scholarships to go to college.

Lora's picture
Lora

Comments

Yes, which is one of the main reasons the establishment is against it... Well that and the fact that someone can't make a buck off of free education. But, going back to the original theories of conservatives, a poor and ignorant society is much more stable and easier to control than a well-informed populous, at least from the point of view of the rich and powerful. The lottery fantasy is used to keep us in line. "Hey, you too could be rich some day". And, "rich people aren't all that bad.... just look at that nice rich Christian conservative hero Sandra Bullock played in The Blind Side! She helped that poor black boy become something." Ugh it's enough to make me sick.

marriott79's picture
marriott79

How about this: we take the money Bernie wants to spend tomorrow for colleges, and we take the money being wasted today on Liberal Arts and Business degrees from 9th tier public universities like CSU San Bernardino, and we provide everyone K-12 (or perhaps K-10) with the same education as the DuPont heirs get, in a word, ghetto boarding schools. Students have a safe place to live, a quiet place to study, and proper nutrition at the cafeteria. We don't need the polo grounds and the skeet shooting.

chilidog

two parent families: probably out of the question.

stwo's picture
stwo

A well eduacted population is part of the ifrastructure of a country. Many other countries that we compete with understand that. We do not. A strong infrastructure is a stron country.

Legend

I spoke with Thom about this issue yesterday. And one thing I failed to mention to him was that I took exception to his racialization of the issue. Say "ghetto", think black person in America. I grew up in Southwest Los Angeles, not quite "the ghetto", but tough. Luckily, I attended a prestigious, all anglo military academy and private school for most of my school years. I graduated from high school at 15 and was a 16 year old college freshman. I played football throughout high school and the first two years of college...BECAUSE I LIKED IT (still do). Go to any lily white rural area of this country be it Texas, Kansas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Alabama, Idaho, etc . and you will find that football is damn near a religion. I am surprised that Thom chose such a not so veiled racial platform from which to put forth the issue.

LEGEND has it correct. It was my academic prowess that opened doors for me. That fact does not preclude me, nor anyone else, from loving the game. In fact, it is one of the few things I like about the United States. And yes, Black people in America need to focus, like a laser, on their intellectual development and that of our melanic children; for that is the ONLY EFFECTIVE WEAPON THERE IS in the war on white privilege and supremacy , and I practice what I preach. You heard it here first.

R. Kenyatta's picture
R. Kenyatta

The Thom Hartmann Program Newsletter Tuesday 21 January 2020

• Democracy Itself Is On Trial... Alexander Hamilton's Thoughts on Abuse of Power as Cause For Impeachment...
  • Democracy on Trial... Thom's Take & Your Calls Along w/LIVE coverage of the Senate Impeachment Trial of Donald Trump...