Warhol Ikons

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

11 posts / 0 new

Retirement Home

sounds better than a tired Where are they now?

*the film spells ikons not icons

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

The link is to a series about Warhol's Factory, a creative wonderland for avantgarde creative artists, poets, Greenwich, Bohemian from Ginsburg and Kerouac to later accomplishments.

The Brill Building was to music what the Factory was to pop art, culture cool.

Culture from the Beat generation to 60's hippies and protestors is a part of history and arts reflect culture more than any other instittution. They are also a record of the same.

Artists sometimes have to be the one to say the emperor has no clothes and this culture sucks without some changes.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Another 'Artist as Canary (in a coal mine)' theme:

/Young-Virgin-Auto-Sodomized-by-Her-Own-Chastity-Dali-

Dali shows the plight of Muslim women's requirement of virginity or death. A Turkish woman sentenced to death for sleeping with her fiance* didn't matter either. 'Muslim women are fucked' is the way I see the painting and subtitle.

*In West Wing, season 6, episode 13 'King Corn' and ethanol bribes (episode 15 addresses 3rd place finishers in Iowa, current though filmed over a decade ago)

btw, anal sex preserves the hymen and the girl's life, thus the painting and comment.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

A male refugee in an asylum center in Tingsryd municipality in Sweden, on Tuesday raped a three-year-old child.

Responsible of the asylum center learned about the rape during the day, and in collaboration with the Swedish Migration Board had decided to move the man from the accommodation to protect him.

http://speisa.com/modules/articles/index.php/item.2121/a-refugee-raped-a-three-year-old-child-the-migration-board-tried-to-conceal-the-incident.html

I'm sure the Swedes will do the right thing and stone the 3 year old to death for her transgressions. Clearly the 3YO failed to request that the six feet tall bearded unaccompanied minor refugee maintain 1 meter of personal space around her.

Don't bother to click through Douglasslee, the article will fail to properly titillate you what with the absence of details as to whether she was penetrated anally.

stwo's picture
stwo

I don't think the Swedes have taken up stoning and burka's for three year olds at this point in time. That comes in one or two more generations.

It is comforting to know that the "refugee" in question will be given free healthcare for life and relocation to another city in Sweden all at taxpayer expense.

Strong hint here, one 9mm round costs less than one Krona.

Dexterous's picture
Dexterous

The theme is artists, so here is a Swedish artist and his piece, it's pretty big.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Quote douglaslee:

The theme is artists, so

How about a little art along with a way to possibly curtail all the groping and raping going on in Sweden.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbaconintheoven.files.wordpress.com%2F2011%2F12%2Fbacon-underwear-fail.jpg&f=1

hollygolightly's picture
hollygolightly
Quote douglaslee:

The theme is artists, so here is a Swedish artist and his piece, it's pretty big.

Ha ha...he deserves it. But, well, I guess there IS a fine line between the sublime and the ridiculous, as we notice all around us, all of the time.

IMHO, Doug, if art is, as the cliché goes, a reflection of the times, then we can reasonably say Pop Art was capitalism’s shallow, sparkling child.

If we, however, value a transcendent purpose for art, we see that it might strive for a more outside-the-box statement of Truth. But that’s just me.

Anyway, the question becomes, for me, Who Are We, we humans?

At least that’s apparently the question posed by the French painter, sculptor and performer Olivier de Sagazan.

Here’s his Office Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTuvmQNiO3w

I found him among the many exquisite visual statements presented in the non-narrated documentary, Samsara. If you haven’t seen it, oh shit, do— it’s so beautiful, and so disturbing too, even while it left me in a meditative state.

:-)

Zenzoe

More on Samsara:

Tibetan Monk Mandala Sand Art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TrvRe9hMN0

Zenzoe

Samsara's visual juxtapositions on the subject of the modern human's approach to food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56NBsZXjr8

Zenzoe

I thought you might pick up on the theme/thread displayed and yet some of the 'art', performance art, was happening as it was being observed, discussed, or shunned for the audacity of promoting emotions that disturbed.

In the Chicago Sun-Times, Roger Ebert extolled Samsara for providing "an uplifting experience" through its use "of powerful images, most magnificent, some shocking, all photographed with great care in the highest possible HD resolution." Ebert reflected on the film's strength in capturing images of what may eventually be lost to us and noted that there were also images that could reflect the reason for these losses.[14] Katie Walsh, writing for indieWire's The Playlist, applauded Samsara's "technical achievements" and noted that the film used the "intellectual montage" technique. Walsh said the film was similar to Man with a Movie Camera, but took "the idea to new global and spiritual heights." She said of the film's entirety, "While one can discuss the technical prowess of these shocking and beautiful images, it doesn't do justice to the spiritual cinematic power of this work."[15]

btw, I think Thom is an artist, a contemporary artist, that entices one to engage, seek more (prime directive for a teacher IMO, nurture curiosity aka seeking)

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Trump and His Billionaire Buddies Plot to Destroy Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid

Thom plus logo Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid are officially in the crosshairs of the Trump administration, and they intend to go after them this year.