World's first solar road opens in the Netherlands

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

While the US oligarchy keeps us dependent on fossil fuels because it is the source of their power...

Antifascist's picture
Antifascist

Comments

Solar Roadway:

This has got to be one of the dumbest ideas ever invented. People sure are gullible.

You already are starting with thin film solar that this tech is based on is minimum 4x the cost of cleaner and greener Nuclear. France is 80% clean nuclear energy, 90% clean electricity including conventional hydro. 9X cleaner electricity than Germany - the #1 solar nation on the planet.

So the base cost is 4X nuclear. Add the asphalt road replacement which must be some transparent plastic or glass specially designed to be suitable for vehicle traffic. Never developed, never used anywhere so that will be a high added cost.

Then you have severe exposure to water which electrical doesn't like, increased costs & downtime. Flat plate - horizontal will mean a minimum 10% added loss = 10% higher cost. Then you have loss due to traffic on roadway, trees, buildings & hills blocking sunlight - easily another 20% loss = 20% higher cost. And dust, tire residue, leaves and debris, snow, ices, wear & tear reducing transparency and further losses = again higher costs. And lack of ventilation means further reduced efficiency. Even solar advocates are calling these plans stupid:

http://www.renewablesinternational.net/solar-roadways-needs-to-be-stoppe...

http://www.renewablesinternational.net/netherlands-gets-stupid-solar-cyc...

EEVblog #681 - More Solar Roadways BULLSHIT!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZBrHqTJk4

Quite simply impossible economically to power an economy.

Installation & maintenance means road closures, traffic jams, more pollution. Transmission is complicated since it is not a point source. And the transmission lines will have to be 10X oversized to carry the peak electricity @ noon. Whereas the avg power produced will be only 10% of peak. Transmission is very expensive.

So end result is this nutty scam will be 10X the cost of the cleaner and greener Nuclear that France already has. Except nuclear is 24/7 power. Electricity demand peaks in the evening when solar is already nil. Pretty much useless source of electricity. Maxes in spring when power demand is minimum, minimum in winter when power demand peaks. Fluctuates with the weather.

Shell Oil put out a fancy commercial showing how renewables need oil & gas as their "dancing partner". Sun goes up and down, natural gas and oil go down and up in tandem. Big Oil and their Bankster masters know Solar and Wind = burn more oil & gas. Nuclear has no need of oil and gas. That's why they despise nuclear and luv solar & wind.

And the EROI - energy return on invested for this tech is far below what is necessary to sustain a civilization. In other words, this is just another Big Oil Bait-and-Switch Scam.

Instant-RunOff-...

That's fantastic! I would very much like to get involved in the solar industry. But sadly, as you pointed out, we're just not putting the effort and resources behind it like they are in other parts of the world. If anything, we're putting up barriers, like they did in Nevada recently.

I refuse to get into any more arguments on this topic, but the post above mine illustrate the kind of lack of critical thinking skills and common sense that's holding us back. Since the internet retains everything we say, people will look back on us in decades to come and scratch their heads at how dangerously foolish and ignorant people today were. But then what can you expect when people are being bombarded with propaganda from Koch/big oil, and now apparently nuclear.

marriott79's picture
marriott79
Quote marriott79:

That's fantastic! I would very much like to get involved in the solar industry. But sadly, as you pointed out, we're just not putting the effort and resources behind it like they are in other parts of the world. If anything, we're putting up barriers, like they did in Nevada recently.

I refuse to get into any more arguments on this topic, but the post above mine illustrate the kind of lack of critical thinking skills and common sense that's holding us back. Since the internet retains everything we say, people will look back on us in decades to come and scratch their heads at how dangerously foolish and ignorant people today were. But then what can you expect when people are being bombarded with propaganda from Koch/big oil, and now apparently nuclear.

Yes has many reaearcch periodicals

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

http://www.yesmagazine.org/

this was the post that was neant to come on line

The Economy We Want Starts With a Constitutional AmendmentA more democratic and equal election system is the first step toward a more democratic and equal economy.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee
Quote Antifascist:

While the US oligarchy keeps us dependent on fossil fuels because it is the source of their power...

World's first solar road opens in the Netherlands

France to pave 1,000km of road with solar panels

It's an interesting idea but I'm not sold. It would be too costly to retrofit highways with new concrete foundations that can withstand the pressure and still keep the tiles perfectly aligned over time. What happens when the connections between tiles are broken if the roadbed sags? The tiles as advertised look expensive in the extreme to produce... and I would not trust a glass surface not to be slippery as they wear. I'd rather see the money go into conventional solar as a stopgap to meet peak demand.

ulTRAX's picture
ulTRAX

America: Meet Your Overlord Rupert Murdoch...

Thom plus logo The main lesson that we've learned so far from the impeachment hearings is that if Richard Nixon had had a billionaire like Rupert Murdoch with a television network like Fox News behind him, he never would've resigned and America would have continued to be presided over by a criminal.