Anthropocene

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

3 posts / 0 new

.dissent magazine.org-jedediah-purdy-after-nature-anthropocene-politics includes many of the pieces for change, the main obstacle being politics. With 17% of the country's senators able to bully 83% by way of the 60 vote filibuster, nothing will change and another dust bowl is coming only this time it will be water instead of top soil. Flint is just the tip, and I won't use iceberg. A new species of berg is pictured in the link above off the coast of Hawaii. The DNA when tested shows it comes from the purgamentum family and 80% plasticum.

Another thread shows a 75 star flag launching a new state whenever population reaches 4,000,000. WY still gets 4 votes to one, but now they get 70:1. Of course without action on CO2, there will not be 70 people to get screwed out of a vote by 1, they will have drowned or burned, or been choked with noxious gas like Venus offers.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

Comments

I said I won't use "Tip of the iceberg" anymore. For one thing all the icebergs are melting and won't exist. Kids will ask in the future "What's an iceberg?" and parents will say "Leonardo DiCaprio was killed by one". --1200.jpg? is the new thing that Flint is the tip of.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

This occurs to me every time Mr Thom mentions the looming Methane [or methane-ethane] and to my knowledge he never puts teeth in it. Why would warming be bad?

wikipedia : "Anoxic Event" :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_sulfur_bacteria
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfate-reducing_bacteria https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anoxic_event

[Wignall, Paul B.; Richard J. Twitchett (24 May 1996). "Oceanic Anoxia and the End Permian Mass Extinction". Science. 5265 272 (5265): 1155–1158. Bibcode:1996Sci...272.1155W. doi:10.1126/science.272.5265.1155. PMID 8662450.]

These links give a caution that the End-Permian injury is repeated now in the Anthropocene at maybe 20,000 times the speed [200 years of Industrial Revolution to 2,000,000 years of Siberian volcanic outgassing].
Oceanic acidification [from pH 8.2 downward] and CO2 saturation might well kill today's corals and then generally today's species [oceanic and terrestrial].

In few : we force the ocean to switch from producing dioxygen [O2] from phytoplankton to producing hydrogen sulfide [H2S] which would kill us and most any living thing.

Will Kennedy

America: Meet Your Overlord Rupert Murdoch...

Thom plus logo The main lesson that we've learned so far from the impeachment hearings is that if Richard Nixon had had a billionaire like Rupert Murdoch with a television network like Fox News behind him, he never would've resigned and America would have continued to be presided over by a criminal.