EU puts the brakes on Monsanto's RoundUp

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

5 posts / 0 new

In a surprise move earlier this week, European officials put a hold on continued use of glyphosate, the active ingredient in Monsanto's flagship herbicide RoundUp. Meanwhile, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is now well into its seventh year of reviewing the controversial chemical.

The European delay comes in the face of strong opposition to the proposed 15-year re-licensing agreement from Italy, France, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Public concern has been growing since the World Health Organization (WHO) labeled glyphosate a "probable human carcinogen" early last year. More than 1.4 million people have since signed a petition calling on health officials around the world to take action on the widely used herbicide, and more than 96 European scientists have also taken a public stand.

http://www.panna.org/blog/eu-puts-brakes-monsantos-roundup?utm_source=gr...

in my area the people i know who routinely use roundup in their yards, (and i know 2 golf course workers using at their job site), ALL have the same line "i'm going to nitrogen kill the weeds", "i'm going to try nitrogen"... i never asked them where they hear this but i'm assuming the golf course has visiting Reps who peddle info that "roundup's active killing ingredient is nitrogen" then it's spread by word of mouth. plus my neighors who use roundup are from KKK Trump supporters/Limbaugh listeners to mild GOPers. so i'm wondering in your area if you've also heard the false talk that roundup is only nitrogen?

dArKeR's picture
dArKeR

Comments

Quote dArKeR:

In a surprise move earlier this week, European officials put a hold on continued use of glyphosate, the active ingredient in Monsanto's flagship herbicide RoundUp. Meanwhile, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is now well into its seventh year of reviewing the controversial chemical.

The European delay comes in the face of strong opposition to the proposed 15-year re-licensing agreement from Italy, France, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Public concern has been growing since the World Health Organization (WHO) labeled glyphosate a "probable human carcinogen" early last year. More than 1.4 million people have since signed a petition calling on health officials around the world to take action on the widely used herbicide, and more than 96 European scientists have also taken a public stand.

http://www.panna.org/blog/eu-puts-brakes-monsantos-roundup?utm_source=gr...

in my area the people i know who routinely use roundup in their yards, (and i know 2 golf course workers using at their job site), ALL have the same line "i'm going to nitrogen kill the weeds", "i'm going to try nitrogen"... i never asked them where they hear this but i'm assuming the golf course has visiting Reps who peddle info that "roundup's active killing ingredient is nitrogen" then it's spread by word of mouth. plus my neighors who use roundup are from KKK Trump supporters/Limbaugh listeners to mild GOPers. so i'm wondering in your area if you've also heard the false talk that roundup is only nitrogen?

if Monsanto is closing wouldn't that leave our crop yeild in jepordy? our organic seed yield is near zero. Not to mention wouldn't farmers reguire monsanto's pesticides?

M.Thomas

Not computer savy, But i hear that Monsanto is planning on shutting down in the USA. If that's true, wouldn't that leave our future crop yields in jepordy? America's organic seed suppy has to be hurting. Would farmer's still need Monsanto's pesticides, that are reguired for crop yield?

M.Thomas
Quote M.Thomas:

Not computer savy, But i hear that Monsanto is planning on shutting down in the USA. If that's true, wouldn't that leave our future crop yields in jepordy? America's organic seed suppy has to be hurting. Would farmer's still need Monsanto's pesticides, that are reguired for crop yield?

Round up is an herbicide

stwo's picture
stwo

Organic seeds and Roundup are not compatible in a sense that Roundup is BANNED for organic certified growing. You would not pay 2x to 10x for organic seed over conventional seed and use Roundup. The crop from the organic seeds grown with Roundup used around it will lose its organic status,

Conventionally grown crops with help of Roundup will not necessarily drop in production rate since many of the noxious weeds have evolved to be immune to Roundup, not just resistant,. Efficacy of Roundup is dropping like a rock.

I wish people would stop using it all together and be banned from the stores even in big box stores and mom and pop feed stores.

smilingcat

America: Meet Your Overlord Rupert Murdoch...

Thom plus logo The main lesson that we've learned so far from the impeachment hearings is that if Richard Nixon had had a billionaire like Rupert Murdoch with a television network like Fox News behind him, he never would've resigned and America would have continued to be presided over by a criminal.