I've Had It With Just About Everybody

On July 23, 2016, we discontinued our forums. We ask our members to please join us in our new community site, The Hartmann Report. Please note that you will have to register a new account on The Hartmann Report.

6 posts / 0 new

From Rod Dreher: http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/america-trump-unwinding/

Honestly, I’ve had it with people. I’ve had it with Trump supporters who think their anger and their outrage gives them the right to punch people in the face. I’ve had it with Black Lives Matter and other Social Justice Warriors who think the so-called righteousness of their cause gives them the right to silence those who disagree with them. I’m sick and tired of people who think everything wrong in their lives is because somebody, somewhere, has wronged them. Guess what? You can’t screw whoever you like, have as many kids as you like, or as many partners as you like, walk away from your marriage (if you ever marry), and expect everything to be okay. You can’t drink, drug, party, “keep it real,” make excuses for your children, make excuses for yourself, allow our degraded popular culture to raise your kids, and expect a good outcomes. You can’t throw money at problems and expect them to go away (e.g., pay to send your kids to a Christian school, and assume that your tuition fee contractually entitles you to opt out of the moral and spiritual formation of your children), or assume that being a Nice Middle-Class Person is sufficient. It’s not. I’m tired of the rich and the middle class who expect everything to be handed to them, and fall to pieces when it isn’t. I’m tired of the working class and the poor who live as if their relative material deprivation gives them a pass from having to live by basic standards of conduct that most everybody understood and affirmed within living memory, but which are all but forgotten today.

Above all, I’m tired of a culture in which so many people have no idea how to tell themselves no, to anything, ever. A culture of entitlement. Believe me, I’m talking to myself as well. This is the beginning of Lent for us Orthodox Christians, and I am taking inventory of my own tendencies to sin, to disorder, and I don’t like what I see. You might try it too.

Coalage1

Comments

Not all Trump supporters, of which I am not one, believe that it is acceptable to punch someone in the face just because you disagree with someone. Not all poor people are criminals or are otherwise obnoxious in their behavior, and not all middle class people or even rich people feel that they are somehow privileged. Some people manage to learn from their past mistakes and to mature as they gain practical work experience or meet new people while in college. The economic situation has worked against many, as Canada now has a more prosperous middle class according to economic data than does America, and, according to a Pew Research study in their economics division, a majority of American households no longer can be classified as being middle class.

Christians are supposed to show forgiveness for the mistakes of their fellow human beings. You show disdain and base your ideas on overgeneralizations and stereotypes. Christ talked about the poor -- and the sick or disabled -- in positive, not negative terms. In U.S. cities, there continue to be a fair number of homeless people, who don't sound like they feel "entitled," what ever the hell that means. College students who have to take out thousands in student loans to attend may feel entitled, but they are accumulating a subtantial debt. Apparently, part of Christianity is to substitute one's own opinions of others for what the son put forward. All the above seems to represent is a lack of forgiveness. Many people in this country are cognitively and morally backward; with that I will agree. But the idea that everyone wants to blame someone else for some injustice is far too simplistic of a view of how people think. Instead of so much voodoo religion, you might try some science, which includes intensive research on child development involving communication patterns of working class versus middle class parents and its effects on brain development, educational programs in socialization which have found to have a considerable degree of success in helping to disuade young black youth from getting into future trouble and remaining on a stable path, or in the breakdown of inner city neighborhoods, the loss of many jobs, and in some instances cuts in mental health services and difficulty of mentally ill people in being able to receive needed services. There are those ministers, priests, and rabbis who are involved with their communities in positive ways and are trying to find ways to bring about positive activities, not even always religious ones, which might help improve outcomes. Also, James Falllows and his wife Debrah Fallows flew to different smaller cities across the country for The Atlantic and found many local examples of economic revival and progress in manufacturing, job training, and in both stability and new businesses in the downtown areas of these cities, which is a measure of some degree of economic and social health.

Robindell's picture
Robindell

The new christians are in the wealth gospel church, the mega churches that fill stadiums and colliseums with expensive seats that expensive tickets reserved for you. The charismatics have private jets, start private schools and live in mansions to do god's work.

During the 2008 crash you were encouraged to bring your mortgage to the stage so one of the annointed could put his hands on it, to heal the over extended debt balance.

Joel Osteen has 43,000 in attendance. The 15 biggest megachurches average 20,000 except for Joel's. 5 of them are in TX, including Joel's. 3 of them are in GA. Most do not have altars, but stages with big video screens on each side of the band. Marketing and promotion are the key to church success, and by success I mean the number of private jets, limos, and car elevators. Sunday Rolexes are different than weekday rolexes. The multimillion dollar income is tax free and their campaign contributions are tax free as well.

Jim Jones, David Koresh, Joeseph Smith, Muhammed, Brigham Young and more started their own religions, mainly to allow their sexual perversions of polygamy and pedophelia (muhamed liked 9 year olds). Blaming others for not starting your own scam, or flim flam, or grifter network is placing blame elsewhere. Reagan made it OK to flush your morals, and the S&L, Iran Contra scandals as well as the most indicted and convicted admistration members in history proved how successfully he convinced the majority of GOP members. You can blow up OBGYMs or shoot them up with assault style rifles and get approval from the church nuts the next sunday.

douglaslee's picture
douglaslee

"I've Had It With Just About Everybody"...had to admit, that headline gave me a laugh. Pretty much my sentiment. I've pretty much had it with both sides. I just don't think there's anywhere centrist leaners can hide anymore.

I oppose illegal immigration, and further, support curbing legal immigration. Especially when it comes to unskilled immigrants. For skilled H1Bs...well, I'm a bit softer, but still they should only be allowed if employers can demonstrate they can't find anyone here to do that job. I don't support rote deportation. But the fact is, even H1B type programs simply give an opportunity to employers to abuse it. And trust me, it makes no difference if those immigrants are named Jose or Maria or Helmut or Inga. My feeling is our struggling economy doesn't need more unskilled immigrants - we no longer have the sturdy manufacturing economy that cried out for strong backs and pairs of hands. So these immigrants now go to work at McDonalds and Wal Mart and find help from the taxpayer trough to supplement a living.

I also oppose our memberships in TPP, NAFTA, WTO, CAFTA etc. etc. etc. at the current terms. We should work with other countries to facilitate trade; I'm not for closing off trade totally, but the terms need to be more beneficial to U.S. workers in the middle class. Having the world's largest consumer economy, we do have the power to dictate terms.

And Bernie comes across as "free everything," and soft on immigration...while Hillary is soft on immigration and more importantly tries to hide the fact that she's umbilically tied to Wall Street. And the other side offers nothing even remotely palatable in my view, same old failed GOP supply-side policies, except for Trump, although I do like a splinter of Cruz's tax plan (VAT type taxes). I don't see why it's so hard for liberals to see why some are attracted to Trump, to be honest.

There really isn't anyone speaking to a this disparate set of positions; the closest is Trump. Not to say I would ever vote for him. He likely is not to be trusted, although he does check as many boxes as Hillary to me. And one important box would be, if he did disastrous things, he'd ruin the public's perception of the GOP for a generation or so, providing kind of a hedge if he backtracked on some of his left wing positions.

So, I am really sick of both sides. The funny thing is, both sides are now being burned by some of the rhetoric they've used in the past for political gain. The right, with Trump's rise, is obvious. But the left's favorite son, Bernie, is crippled by the fact is he's an "old white guy," running for the side that demonizes "old white guys." Thus it confuses minority and women voters, and funnels them to Hillary. Quite funny, in my view.

I am sick of the left's continuing demonization of the police, the constant cries of "racism," as I am of the right's continuing of canonization of business elites and their head-in-the-sand tax cut psychosis. I really am sick of both sides. Now, I got that off my chest, I feel better.

al3's picture
al3

Perhaps one’s exasperation with others, which we all feel from time to time, just might be a beginning, rather than a fixed psychic reality. Arno Michaelis, a young, hate-filled white supremacist, one who managed to transcend it all, makes a LOT of sense in the interview I’ve referenced, below.

Quote Audio Interview, Point of Inquiry with Josh Zepps:

[intro:]

Former White Supremacist Arno Michaelis: Understanding Hate, Overcoming Fear

Today’s guest is former white supremacist Arno Michaelis, author of My Life After Hate. A leader within what he called a “racial holy war,” Michaelis later realized his hate was misplaced, the product of fear, anger, and an overall misunderstanding of concepts such as forgiveness and personal responsibility. Today he is a Buddhist and anti-violence activist with Serve 2 Unite, an organization that works with student leaders to create compassionate, nonviolent leadership in their communities.

In a frank discussion with Josh Zepps, Michaelis reflects on his mistakes, and how he came to let go of his hate and anger. He notes the similarities he perceives between the language and emotion of the white power movement he left, and that of the campaign rhetoric of Donald Trump, whose rallies are now plagued by racially charged clashes and violence. Michaelis joins us today to offer some insight on this worldview of rage, and how we can work toward alternatives to hate and violence.

Zenzoe

I hear the initial post as an echoing shout from somewhere out of the depths of the nether regions between the various stages of grief.

rs allen

What Do Democrats Really Want?

Thom plus logo Thomas Friedman, the confused billionaire, told us decades ago that "free trade" is what made the Lexus a successful product when, in fact, it was decades of Japanese government subsidies and explicit tariffs that did so.